OK, it IS Willy ...

IC Khari

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

The one thing I will say is that I don't think Willy would have played as well as Nichols last night, based on his current body of work this year. Nichols made throws Willy has failed to make all year.

However, if Willy gets the run support that Nichols had last night, the throws Willy CAN make that Nichols made last night probably have the kind of results Nichols had.

I guess what I'm saying is Nichols hit deep shots that Willy simply hasn't hit this year, but Nichols also got better results from things like those Dressler screen passes because our run game was clicking.

Yeah those screen passes are useless when there isn't a run game to respect. It was also nice to see Nichols throw the ball past the LOS the majority of the time. I think I saw a stat yesterday that had Willy at 13 more passes at or behind the LOS than any other QB so far this year. I know some of it is designed but Willy has a tendency to give his first read 2 seconds and then check it down.

17 minutes ago, Floyd said:

$400k equals a pretty short leash for Nichols...  

Money has no effect on it. Its all about the wins and success. Because we miss the play offs no chance mos sticks around. His job and money motivates changes more then willys. Of course im sure he has a strong drive to win as he did as a player and that over whelms even his own money / security. 

Truthfully I hope that they opt to use both qbs liberally the remainder of the year. I don't think there is any harm in doing so and I've said that for a couple years now to be honest. If a guy is struggling give him a break and put the other guy in and see what happens, you can go back to the other guy if you think a couple series on the bench helped or if the other guy is doing well leave him in. Just give opposing defenses something else to think about. Dunno why coaches are so reluctant to do that these days. It worked very well in the past. 

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Truthfully I hope that they opt to use both qbs liberally the remainder of the year. I don't think there is any harm in doing so and I've said that for a couple years now to be honest. If a guy is struggling give him a break and put the other guy in and see what happens, you can go back to the other guy if you think a couple series on the bench helped or if the other guy is doing well leave him in. Just give opposing defenses something else to think about. Dunno why coaches are so reluctant to do that these days. It worked very well in the past. 

When?  I don't remember the bombers ever doing this... or any teams really...  

41 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm really worried about Dressler's health to be honest. He's a weapon we NEED to have out there. Adams, while productive, is not as valuable. We can't be without Dressler and Smith. It'll kill us. 

It's nice to be in the position that we need him on the field. After the first few games the yardage wasn't piling up I was a little worried that there maybe wasn't a lot of tread left on the tires. Injuries and inconsistency at QB held him back but in the last few weeks he has been the same old Dressler I freaking hated when he was in Sask.

Adams is most valuable to us when everyone else is in the lineup, Dress and Smith can allow him to take the top off the defense with them running crossers and digs underneath. It would be nice if one of the newcomers (Sheppard, Mayo, Davis) could become more consistent in that regard. I thought that maybe Davis would be that guy but so far they seem to like him near the LOS rubbing pass rushers in a hybrid TE position, which is fine but he won't get downfield in a hurry. Mayo could possibly be that guy, who knows.

39 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Money has no effect on it. Its all about the wins and success. Because we miss the play offs no chance mos sticks around. His job and money motivates changes more then willys. Of course im sure he has a strong drive to win as he did as a player and that over whelms even his own money / security. 

Plus the fact that the money isn't guaranteed means they only are on the hook for this year (no way we cut him in season, let alone before league vet deadline). MOS has to push all the chips he has left to the table to get us to the playoffs.

If Willy's feelings are hurt in the process so be it. No way he can accuse MOS of being disloyal at this point.

2 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Plus the fact that the money isn't guaranteed means they only are on the hook for this year (no way we cut him in season, let alone before league vet deadline). MOS has to push all the chips he has left to the table to get us to the playoffs.

If Willy's feelings are hurt in the process so be it. No way he can accuse MOS of being disloyal at this point.

I wish that was true...  but I believe Walters gave Willy a pretty substantial signing bonus, could be wrong.

Just now, Floyd said:

I wish that was true...  but I believe Walters gave Willy a pretty substantial signing bonus, could be wrong.

Yeah anything that was a signing bonus is gone, but future earnings are not guaranteed. I'm not sure if the amount in bonuses out there or not (it probably is) but we can always cut bait next year if there are better options available.

We all know Walters likes to spend in FA and if Willy isn't the guy then he's going to need some $$ to sign Logan Kilgore in a year or two ;)

Don't like having to prune posts but there's no need for that level of disrespect.  I certainly don't care if you have an issue with a poster or not, if you can't post your viewpoint without also needing to drop an F-Bomb and insult someone .. please .. don't post .. take it to PMs.  Spare the rest of us.

23 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Idk. It would depend on if we have ability to use that cap space on a player that would help the team. We cut kerwin mid season and he was a bigger deal coming her then willy. he was coming off near 5k passing yard season.

I also dont think the bonus is counted in his yearly sum. Even if it is amortized for cap reasons, its still be cap savings and significant team savings. But of course that only happens if willy is damaged heavily from the benching and relentless battering hes seen here. And nichols plays high calibre ball. And stays healthy. And if some one like henoc or a trade for another vet qb meant we needed the cap space. 

I'm sure we're gonna see Willy again this year.

Hopefully somehow we get to see the quick, decisive, and accurate Willy of 2014 and not the weirdly erratic statue of 2016. Because yeah, Nichols made throws the Willy hasn't connected on all year and those throws made all the difference.

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

I'm sure we're gonna see Willy again this year.

Hopefully somehow we get to see the quick, decisive, and accurate Willy of 2014 and not the weirdly erratic statue of 2016. Because yeah, Nichols made throws the Willy hasn't connected on all year and those throws made all the difference.

nichols was missing many of the same throws as willy this year. Peak willy (giggity) wasnt really ball control. It was good start, good start to the half then last second drive. 

I think having a run game allowed nichols to make those throws tho, It's not just 1 thing or 1 guy, it's a combination of them.. Harris had over 100 yards rushing in the first half... That's insane and Dressler had over 100 yards receiving in the first half... I think that goes hand in hand really.... The biggest difference in the game last night in my opinion was not the QB, it was the run game.. I'm not taking anything away from Nichols either, he showed up and played pretty good, wasn't great but was good enough... similar yardage to what Willy put up really but.... at the same time, Have we not seen this before with Nichols? Last year even? He's Mr Inconsistent for sure... Willy hasn't been good but all things being equal, I think Willy is a better QB than Nichols, but... he just hasn't done crap this year. 

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

well the past as in 30 years ago

Ah, of course.  Then your post makes complete sense...  its so weird that no one seems to do that anymore if its such a great strategy. Or maybe its a really stupid idea and everyone realized that teams should find a good QB and let him get some rhythm.

Toss up really.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

You run with the hot hand till it goes cold. Willy at some point this season is going to win a couple big games. That being said if Nichols is the starter the rest of the year that will be great because it will mean we have won a lot more games than we have lost.

Yes but Madden doesn't count ;)

yes_data.gif

Edited by IC Khari

Let's imagine what would happen if the argument was flipped... if Willy had just won a game with a late game TD drive...

'Willy played decent and we broke an 1 win in 17 loss legacy but I think Nichols is a very solid backup, he'll get in the game sooner or later.  He's due for a win.  That guy was great a couple years ago, great guy to have on the team.  Oh, right, and Willy is still our starter for next game... forgot about that guy'

If Willy had won in Edmonton, we'd be planning the fkn grey cup parade. ha

47 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

nichols was missing many of the same throws as willy this year. Peak willy (giggity) wasnt really ball control. It was good start, good start to the half then last second drive. 

That easy toss to McDuffie for 6 was painful. I thought that was going to cost us later in the game for sure. Willy would have been crucified by us if he missed that throw. In fact, one of the main factors in the fan revolt on Willy has been his inaccuracy and missing open receivers (The MTL and HAM games come to mind).

We can ***** and moan all we want about the missed opportunities to pad the score but honestly, how many of us actually thought we would be dissecting a Bomber WIN in Edmonton this morning? How refreshing is it to utter those words.

All of the external issues were screaming a blowout loss and they got their collective **** together and not only squeaked out a win but were the better team for the full 60. I'll worry about missed opportunities etc. when they are relative to the specific game but every team misses during the game and it's how you respond to adversity what matters. When the Esks got the score to within 10, we marched right back down the field and got the 7 back. How many times have we seen the Bombers 2 and out and give all momentum back? Too many times to count.

Let's enjoy this one and reflect on the fact that a win on Wednesday puts us right back in the conversation in the West.