Does a blow out at home Thursday get MOS fired?

Does a blow out at home Thursday get MOS fired?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Does a blow out at home Thursday get MOS fired?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, 17to85 said:

If they were easily replaced then why hasn't Walters replaced them in the 3 years he's been here? If they're easily replaced why is there no depth anywhere on this team? A team that gets as crippled by injuries as this one does isn't going to win no matter who you have at qb. Khari Jones had the same thing happen to him, when the depth sucked and injuries hit the team looked useless all of a sudden. Same with Kevin Glenn. You need good pieces around a qb to be successful. It's simplistic and incompletely analysis to just say "oh the qb is the big problem" or "the coach is the big problem" We have a GM that can't build depth, can't add to talent and is at best treading water with his moves. It doesn't matter what Willy makes, it flat out doesn't. This roster isn't good enough to win and pretending that it is with a coaching change or a qb change is just playing silly buggers. 

Because Walters isn't a good GM. That's why. Do you see me defending this guy? He's clearly incompetent. He hired MOS, a terrible mistake. He didn't rectify that mistake by looking to get anyone else in the off season, when it's apparent to anyone with any foresight that MOS isn't the guy. He didn't fill the roster with enough talent, and has failed to do so within his time as GM. But how bad is our team really? Who knows. I think we have such bad coaching from the head guy down to coordinators that they could make the BC Lions or Redblacks 1-3. That debate could be had for days and days.

What we do know is that there's a real stench from this club, from our offense to our defense. But there seems to be a group on here who want to deflect blame away from players they like or perceive as being better than they actually are and re-assign that blame to anyone else. "Willy doesnt' stinks its' the GM's fault for not giving him the right talent around him. Or, "Willy doesn't stink but I blame the O line because they're a train wreck".  And so on and so on. No, Willy does stink. Does the offensive line force him to have the worst long ball in the CFL? Lock in on his primary target and stare him down? Does the O line force Willy to hang on the ball too long? No. Is our O line great? Probably not even average. Is our GM good? No he clearly doesn't get the job done. But that doesn't give a free pass to our 400,000 dollar quarterback who's getting boo'd off the field game in and game out.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I'm done with going to Bomber games.

I'm not done watching the team. I'm done making the 40 minute drive and 20 minute walk to the stadium to subject myself to the product that we're being given. I'm still going to watch religiously every single game, but I want the ability to turn this garbage off with the push of a button instead of having to travel another hour back home.

We absolutely ****ing suck. I'm sure it's a combination of things and I'm sure the blame isn't on any singular person, but this team just lacks any entertainment value whatsoever. I'm 26 years old now, I've had season tickets since 1999, when I was 9 years old and I used to have so much team spirit that I would save up birthday and Christmas money to buy my own so I could go with my dad. I didn't want my parents to buy my tickets, because I wanted to support the team myself. Sure, it was all their money anyways but that was the pride I had in being a Bomber fan, I thought at 9 years old that I could proudly support them MYSELF.

I never used to miss a game for anything. I've missed birthdays. Weddings. Parties. I've gotten in fights with girlfriends because I wanted to watch a Bomber game on TV instead of going out to a BBQ or some kind of other social function. I missed half of my high school graduation to listen to preseason football on the radio. I've driven to Calgary, Edmonton and Regina to watch games, despite it taking all the way until last year to ever see a road win. Two years ago, I went to Los Angeles during Bomber season and they were playing Hamilton (the game where McDuffie returned a TD on us) and I missed watching half of a Dodger game because I stayed in their team store until the end of the Bomber game because that was the only place in the stadium I could get consistent wifi. There are literally no ends to what I've done to expose myself to as much Bomber football as I possibly can and I really just don't give a **** anymore.

I'm tired of Mike O'Shea and his "I don't know what's going on" attitude. His post game interview last night was depressing and apparently his halftime interview with Sara Orlesky was even worse. I'm tired of no answers for anything. I'm tired of trying the same **** over and over again and expecting it to worth the 17th time when it didn't work the first 16. I'm tired of watching teams run the same plays we do for 15, 20, 30 yards when we can barely run them for 2. We've seen 7 wins in 30 tries at Investors Group Field and it's ****ing pathetic. If it's not the QB, it's the defense. If it's not the defense, it's the playcalling. If it's not the playcalling, the kicker misses. If the kicker doesn't miss, it's the QB. Whatever it is, we never put it together and I'm just so defeated watching this unentertaining product. Even 5-6 years ago, we weren't very good but we could see progress. Now? Nothing. I was talking with my dad at the last game and we were trying to recall all the good memories we've had of watching the team play at IGF. My fondest ****ing memory is the game where Jason Boltus somehow managed to throw a pass backwards and I laughed at how pathetic we were. That's the only positive memory I have of IGF. Some "so bad it's funny" bull**** that only the Bombers could pull off. That's not how I want to remember Bomber football. At Canad Inns? I remember the TD record. I remember Khari Jones instilling confidence in a fanbase that knew even if we were down going into the fourth quarter, we sure as **** had a chance to win - a good chance. I remember the Stegall 4 catch, 4 TD game. I remember the Thanksgiving comeback. I remember Swaggerville coming up into Section S to celebrate with the fans after a Eastern Final win against Hamilton when Chris Garrett ran over, around and by everything near him in the snow. Remember watching football in the snow? Not at IGF, because our lockers are cleaned out by then.

Remember when we fired Doug Berry because making the playoffs 3 years in a row but not winning a Grey Cup was unacceptable? Can you imagine making the playoffs 3 years in a row now? I'd kill for it. I can't remember the last time I actually had to pay for my playoff ticket because it's been carried over from the previous year for what? I dunno, 5 years now? Another 5 before that? Who even knows at this point. All I know is I can't subject myself to this garbage anymore. I just laugh. What else am I supposed to do? Getting mad doesn't do anything. It's not worth investing the effort. The team sure doesn't. All I know is I've gone from a fan who would've missed my mom's birthday to listen to a Bomber radio broadcast through a broken walkie talkie to a fan who literally would rather stay at home so he can go pull weeds after we get run outta the building in the first quarter. We ****ing stink. And I can't be bothered to care anymore.

Careful now - I did that and they want me off these boards now. Try living in a city that has a real football team and a real QB - and going to their games for 13 years - I should be given a medal for as long as supported the bombers - not vilified.

Just now, KptKrunch said:

Careful now - I did that and they want me off these boards now. Try living in a city that has a real football team and a real QB - and going to their games for 13 years - I should be given a medal for as long as supported the bombers - not vilified.

That's not what you did at all and we both know it. You pledged your loyalty to another team, which is probably the worst thing a fan can claim to do in my mind. That's fake fan BS and that's why you get "vilified".

3 minutes ago, KptKrunch said:

Just now, Mike said:

That's not what you did at all and we both know it. You pledged your loyalty to another team, which is probably the worst thing a fan can claim to do in my mind. That's fake fan BS and that's why you get "vilified".

Oh, that's weak. I'd sooner turn off the CFL and never watch football again rather than put on another teams jersey.

5 minutes ago, White Out said:

Oh, that's weak. I'd sooner turn off the CFL and never watch football again rather than put on another teams jersey.

Yeah, if you really want to cheer for another team, do it in the NFL. 

I'm, a lifelong Patriots fan (I'm 34) so I take solace that at least ONE of my teams is guaranteed to compete.

At this point, I'm done with the Walters-O'Shea-Willy trio.  They have all failed at their jobs, maybe at varying degrees of disappointment.  

We are into Year 3 so the only thing that matters is results. I don't care if Walters is talked up by the media (he still sucks). I don't care that O'Shea is loved by players (its sure not helping win). I don't care that we thought Willy was going to be really good (he currently isn't and doesn't look like he'll turn around).

I don't know if Osh will be fired after the Edmonton game, but I think its pretty clear he isn't getting a new contract for next season. I'd give it a couple more games with Osh and Matt Nichols at QB. After that I expect the season to be in the toilet, so start planning for the future. We aren't going to win until we find a quarterback. Going to have the start up the carousel again in a few weeks.

24 minutes ago, White Out said:

Because Walters isn't a good GM. That's why. Do you see me defending this guy? He's clearly incompetent. He hired MOS, a terrible mistake. He didn't rectify that mistake by looking to get anyone else in the off season, when it's apparent to anyone with any foresight that MOS isn't the guy. He didn't fill the roster with enough talent, and has failed to do so within his time as GM. But how bad is our team really? Who knows. I think we have such bad coaching from the head guy down to coordinators that they could make the BC Lions or Redblacks 1-3. That debate could be had for days and days.

What we do know is that there's a real stench from this club, from our offense to our defense. But there seems to be a group on here who want to deflect blame away from players they like or perceive as being better than they actually are and re-assign that blame to anyone else. "Willy doesnt' stinks its' the GM's fault for not giving him the right talent around him. Or, "Willy doesn't stink but I blame the O line because they're a train wreck".  And so on and so on. No, Willy does stink. Does the offensive line force him to have the worst long ball in the CFL? Lock in on his primary target and stare him down? Does the O line force Willy to hang on the ball too long? No. Is our O line great? Probably not even average. Is our GM good? No he clearly doesn't get the job done. But that doesn't give a free pass to our 400,000 dollar quarterback who's getting boo'd off the field game in and game out.

So you recognise that the problem starts higher up and is more widespread yet spend all your time here on a witch hunt for O'Shea and Willy anyway? Come off it. You just love to pin the blame on the easiest target (the coach and the qb) but we could change them out tomorrow and the team would have the exact same problems because it's the GM that built this crap fest. Save your energy and don't pile on guys who are just trying to make the best of what they were given. 

10 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

It's 9:45 right now. Bombers like to make announcements at 10:30. Let's see if MOS gets whacked today at 10:30. 45 minutes to go.

Would have been leaked by now. My guess would be that it'll be that Matt Nichols is the starter.

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So you recognise that the problem starts higher up and is more widespread yet spend all your time here on a witch hunt for O'Shea and Willy anyway? Come off it. You just love to pin the blame on the easiest target (the coach and the qb) but we could change them out tomorrow and the team would have the exact same problems because it's the GM that built this crap fest. Save your energy and don't pile on guys who are just trying to make the best of what they were given. 

I think your tone deafness with regards to my posts is so bad it has to be purposeful. Canning a GM takes years to build a proper case. Cutting a 400k anchor off your roster and moving on from a bad player takes a day. Just the same that I was years ahead of the anti Pavelec  movement I'm having the same arguments with people over Willy. I focus on Willy because at the moment he's over paid, under performing, and the face of this team. Would I send all 3 guys out of Winnipeg this morning if I could? Your god damn right I would. But discussing a GM mid season is pointless.

37 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm done with going to Bomber games.

I'm not done watching the team. I'm done making the 40 minute drive and 20 minute walk to the stadium to subject myself to the product that we're being given. I'm still going to watch religiously every single game, but I want the ability to turn this garbage off with the push of a button instead of having to travel another hour back home.

We absolutely ****ing suck. I'm sure it's a combination of things and I'm sure the blame isn't on any singular person, but this team just lacks any entertainment value whatsoever. I'm 26 years old now, I've had season tickets since 1999, when I was 9 years old and I used to have so much team spirit that I would save up birthday and Christmas money to buy my own so I could go with my dad. I didn't want my parents to buy my tickets, because I wanted to support the team myself. Sure, it was all their money anyways but that was the pride I had in being a Bomber fan, I thought at 9 years old that I could proudly support them MYSELF.

I never used to miss a game for anything. I've missed birthdays. Weddings. Parties. I've gotten in fights with girlfriends because I wanted to watch a Bomber game on TV instead of going out to a BBQ or some kind of other social function. I missed half of my high school graduation to listen to preseason football on the radio. I've driven to Calgary, Edmonton and Regina to watch games, despite it taking all the way until last year to ever see a road win. Two years ago, I went to Los Angeles during Bomber season and they were playing Hamilton (the game where McDuffie returned a TD on us) and I missed watching half of a Dodger game because I stayed in their team store until the end of the Bomber game because that was the only place in the stadium I could get consistent wifi. There are literally no ends to what I've done to expose myself to as much Bomber football as I possibly can and I really just don't give a **** anymore.

I'm tired of Mike O'Shea and his "I don't know what's going on" attitude. His post game interview last night was depressing and apparently his halftime interview with Sara Orlesky was even worse. I'm tired of no answers for anything. I'm tired of trying the same **** over and over again and expecting it to worth the 17th time when it didn't work the first 16. I'm tired of watching teams run the same plays we do for 15, 20, 30 yards when we can barely run them for 2. We've seen 7 wins in 30 tries at Investors Group Field and it's ****ing pathetic. If it's not the QB, it's the defense. If it's not the defense, it's the playcalling. If it's not the playcalling, the kicker misses. If the kicker doesn't miss, it's the QB. Whatever it is, we never put it together and I'm just so defeated watching this unentertaining product. Even 5-6 years ago, we weren't very good but we could see progress. Now? Nothing. I was talking with my dad at the last game and we were trying to recall all the good memories we've had of watching the team play at IGF. My fondest ****ing memory is the game where Jason Boltus somehow managed to throw a pass backwards and I laughed at how pathetic we were. That's the only positive memory I have of IGF. Some "so bad it's funny" bull**** that only the Bombers could pull off. That's not how I want to remember Bomber football. At Canad Inns? I remember the TD record. I remember Khari Jones instilling confidence in a fanbase that knew even if we were down going into the fourth quarter, we sure as **** had a chance to win - a good chance. I remember the Stegall 4 catch, 4 TD game. I remember the Thanksgiving comeback. I remember Swaggerville coming up into Section S to celebrate with the fans after a Eastern Final win against Hamilton when Chris Garrett ran over, around and by everything near him in the snow. Remember watching football in the snow? Not at IGF, because our lockers are cleaned out by then.

Remember when we fired Doug Berry because making the playoffs 3 years in a row but not winning a Grey Cup was unacceptable? Can you imagine making the playoffs 3 years in a row now? I'd kill for it. I can't remember the last time I actually had to pay for my playoff ticket because it's been carried over from the previous year for what? I dunno, 5 years now? Another 5 before that? Who even knows at this point. All I know is I can't subject myself to this garbage anymore. I just laugh. What else am I supposed to do? Getting mad doesn't do anything. It's not worth investing the effort. The team sure doesn't. All I know is I've gone from a fan who would've missed my mom's birthday to listen to a Bomber radio broadcast through a broken walkie talkie to a fan who literally would rather stay at home so he can go pull weeds after we get run outta the building in the first quarter. We ****ing stink. And I can't be bothered to care anymore.

I couldn't agree more with this. I am in the same age range as you and have grown up watching this team mired in mediocrity (save for a few one-off seasons). The worst thing to happen to this team is not the anger or rage from the fanbase, it's apathy and that's about where I'm at.

My summers used to be planned around the Bomber schedule but now unless I am afforded free tickets through work or otherwise, I'll watch it at home so I can curse at the TV and go do something else. Growing up as a fan of a punchline of a franchise is taxing and stressful and I completely understand when fans decide to pull the chute. The biggest concern of Wade Miller and the BOD going forward has to be the disenfranchising of the fans. I was an ardent supporter of MOS when he was hired and even up until kickoff yesterday I was of the mindset that he could fix this and be a great coach for us going forward but that support has been tempered and practically extinguished. Kicking a meaningless FG in the red zone when you need 2 majors and the offense has been stagnant all game reeks of a coach who would rather make the score look respectable than take the chances necessary to win.

I'm basically at a loss for words on how this season has turned out so far based on the supposedly productive offseason, except for the prevailing fact that as a Bomber fan who grew up watching this team underachieve year after year I am resigned to the fact that this outcome isn't surprising at all, and should be expected.

Really good post Mike. Sums it up for most of us I think. Have to admit sitting there last night looking around the stadium at times... people's faces man. Just told the story. Wasn't a look of anger or rage or anything like that.... all I saw were looks of just here we go again like we've come to expect this type of crap. 

Went with the girlfriend... not the biggest fan but will watch eventho she's not always sure what's going on... she said to me walking 25 minutes back to the car and pretty much the 45 drive home to the exact other end of the city ... it's a really nice stadium... great views but the team certainly sucks don't they? I just smiled and laughed and said.... yup they sure do. 

3 minutes ago, White Out said:

I think your tone deafness with regards to my posts is so bad it has to be purposeful. Canning a GM takes years to build a proper case. Cutting a 400k anchor off your roster and moving on from a bad player takes a day. Just the same that I was years ahead of the anti Pavelec  movement I'm having the same arguments with people over Willy. I focus on Willy because at the moment he's over paid, under performing, and the face of this team. Would I send all 3 guys out of Winnipeg this morning if I could? Your god damn right I would. But discussing a GM mid season is pointless.

I'm torn on this. Firing MOS would end the season, no doubt. It's still really early and teams that change coaches in season have a hideous track record of turning it around. However, there is no evidence to support the theory that MOS can turn it around and he isn't going to start experimenting with rookies like Davis and Bennett because he knows his job is on the line each week so we basically put off the rebuild until next year when the new regime comes in and when we start 0-5 says they need time to evaluate. Rinse/repeat.

So if i had to pick, if the product for the rest of the season at all resembles what we have seen so far? Blow it up now and have an extended TC for the next 14 weeks because it can't be any worse than what we are watching now.

7 minutes ago, White Out said:

We've had 3 years to see Walters work and it's been spotty the whole time so that argument doesn't fly, you're just all in for a witch hunt because you want heads to roll. What Willy makes doesn't matter because if you just start picking off the qb it's not going to change the team or the offense, we saw plenty of games without Willy when he's been hurt and it was an even bigger pile of ****. Fire the coach? Well we'll wind up with losers like Hall or Lapo and it'll be the same **** again because it's more of the same Mr. Nice Guy approach. You want to cry for change then cry for meaningful change. Walters is the guy who built this and he is the guy we should be pointing fingers at. We only make changes at qb or the coach mark my words we're going to be sitting here in 2 years time ready to fire another coach and run another qb out of town. 

Unless you got an ace to come in and be GM right now then fire Walters in the offseason, get someone good in here and let them do what they will with the coaching staff and roster. Making token changes to the coaching staff now and throwing in with Walters for more years is just going to lead to more of the same. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

We've had 3 years to see Walters work and it's been spotty the whole time so that argument doesn't fly, you're just all in for a witch hunt because you want heads to roll. What Willy makes doesn't matter because if you just start picking off the qb it's not going to change the team or the offense, we saw plenty of games without Willy when he's been hurt and it was an even bigger pile of ****. Fire the coach? Well we'll wind up with losers like Hall or Lapo and it'll be the same **** again because it's more of the same Mr. Nice Guy approach. You want to cry for change then cry for meaningful change. Walters is the guy who built this and he is the guy we should be pointing fingers at. We only make changes at qb or the coach mark my words we're going to be sitting here in 2 years time ready to fire another coach and run another qb out of town. 

Does using phrases like witch hunt make you feel superior? I want heads to roll and your saying that like it's a negative? This regime isn't failing, it has failed. Yes, heads should roll. Jesus Christ. 

Firing MOS, as others have pointed out, has huge upsides. We'd be able to experiment with other players and see what we have through out our roster. As is, MOS has zero accountability built in to this team by playing the same terrible starters game in and game out. Hall and Lapo might be losers in your eyes, but, that would make MOS what? An ultra loser?

Also no one is suggesting only making changes to coach or qb. Both should go but so should others. But that's what people are suggesting, are they? Nope, it's easier for you to sit there clacking away at your keyboard building strawmans to tear down. I bet you have a smug little grin on your face when you argue against peoples ideas that no one has had or expressed here.

50 minutes ago, basslicker said:

Yeah, if you really want to cheer for another team, do it in the NFL. 

I'm, a lifelong Patriots fan (I'm 34) so I take solace that at least ONE of my teams is guaranteed to compete.

Must be nice, I have been a bills fan since the early 90's. Now that is a tough one.

3 minutes ago, White Out said:

Does using phrases like witch hunt make you feel superior? I want heads to roll and your saying that like it's a negative? This regime isn't failing, it has failed. Yes, heads should roll. Jesus Christ. 

Firing MOS, as others have pointed out, has huge upsides. We'd be able to experiment with other players and see what we have through out our roster. As is, MOS has zero accountability built in to this team by playing the same terrible starters game in and game out. Hall and Lapo might be losers in your eyes, but, that would make MOS what? An ultra loser?

Also no one is suggesting only making changes to coach or qb. Both should go but so should others. But that's what people are suggesting, are they? Nope, it's easier for you to sit there clacking away at your keyboard building strawmans to tear down. I bet you have a smug little grin on your face when you argue against peoples ideas that no one has had or expressed here.

You can make changes to players with O'Shea there too. The Gm is well within his rights to tell a coach how his roster is going to be if he isn't on board with it. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened and it won't be the last. What we know is that Walters and O'Shea are on the same page, arguing about whether to fire O'Shea or Willy rather than Walters is pointless because until the man in charge of building this team is held accountable it's more of the same. The season won't be saved by a coaching change or a quarterback change, we've seen countless quarterbacks here the last few years and quite a few coaches. I use terms like witch hunt because it fits. You really aren't interested in delving into the problems with the team you just want a big shiny scapegoat to pin all the blames on and you bang away at that drum. It's like all you want is the public spectacle of someone being held accountable. I'd rather address what is really wrong with this team. 

If they're going to blow it up, do it in the offseason and identify the correct person to be GM and get them here and let them build it. Trying to do a massive foundation repair by putting a new coat of paint on the house isn't going to work. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

You can make changes to players with O'Shea there too. The Gm is well within his rights to tell a coach how his roster is going to be if he isn't on board with it. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened and it won't be the last. What we know is that Walters and O'Shea are on the same page, arguing about whether to fire O'Shea or Willy rather than Walters is pointless because until the man in charge of building this team is held accountable it's more of the same. The season won't be saved by a coaching change or a quarterback change, we've seen countless quarterbacks here the last few years and quite a few coaches. I use terms like witch hunt because it fits. You really aren't interested in delving into the problems with the team you just want a big shiny scapegoat to pin all the blames on and you bang away at that drum. It's like all you want is the public spectacle of someone being held accountable. I'd rather address what is really wrong with this team. 

If they're going to blow it up, do it in the offseason and identify the correct person to be GM and get them here and let them build it. Trying to do a massive foundation repair by putting a new coat of paint on the house isn't going to work. 

What makes you think that's going to happen if it hasn't happened already? For all we know, MOS is being told that he has to start the players he's starting over and over and over again because Walters brought them in. Speculation and not worth it imo.

Put me in the camp that believes that keeping O’Shea at this point is going to be more detrimental than firing him.

It is game 5 of an 18 game season, and look at how this team is playing.  They come out flat and are tentative every game.  In all of our losses this year, we have pretty much lost the game by half time.

I have pretty much accepted that the season is done, but I can’t sit through another 13 games of the same.   An interim coach may not mean any more wins, but it better put some fire back into the plays of some of the players.

O’Shea is at that all too common point that we’ve seen many times in the past, especially with Tim Burke.  He no longer has the answers and he no longer knows what to do to fix and change things. 

If firing him means hiring his mid-season replacement in the off season, that is a failing on management and shouldn’t be the reason we keep him.

On Walters: He's brought in some very good talent in FA and most of that talent was better on the teams they came from. That's up to coaching and systems not GM'ing. Last night, we lost 2 more DB's in game and the backups did well. We also lost a couple of O lineman and had to use a DL on the OL and we didn't become much worse than we were with the starters. Not sure how you can say we don't have any depth. Walters biggest mistakes were hiring O'Shea, hiring some below average scouts and paying Willy like an elite QB when he clearly isn't. I expect he'll be given a second chance at making he HC decision just like O'Shea was given a second chance at hiring each of his coordinators.

On O'Shea: Keeping him around doesn't accomplish anything. Firing him doesn't mean we have to keep the interim HC next year or Walters, no matter how often you say it does. O'Shea has become a cancer on the team. We should fire him for the same reason you cut out any cancer... to start the healing and the sooner we do it the better.

I'm with Mike. I'm pretty much done. I used to get so incredibly bitter when someone would spoil the score to a game I was recording. I would actually get angry if I even thought people were "hinting" at the score with the tone of their voice.

Now? I check the score before I even sit down to watch because I don't have three hours to waste fast forwarding through awful football anymore. The worst thing a sports team can be is boring, and we are well beyond that.

First time in over 15 years I don't have season tickets and I haven't regretted it for a second. And I am the "Bomber fan" in my group of friends, all of which dropped the team years ago.

This franchise is in trouble.