Around The NHL 2016/2017

18 hours ago, Atomic said:

This really pisses me off.  Teams like the Blues, Habs, and Bruins all hit a slight speed bump and they have no hesitation whatsoever in replacing the coach.  The Jets suck year-in and year-out and they just sit around with their thumbs up their butts.  Such a joke.

Yes but as a few posters here regularly indicate we are in a rebuilding/development mode with no realistic goal of making the playoffs.

Unlike the Blues, Habs and Bruins who consider themselves contenders this year. Therefore expectations of the coaching staff is different.

btw, I can't stand this mindset.

22 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yes but as a few posters here regularly indicate we are in a rebuilding/development mode with no realistic goal of making the playoffs.

Unlike the Blues, Habs and Bruins who consider themselves contenders this year. Therefore expectations of the coaching staff is different.

btw, I can't stand this mindset

I don't see how it's not a realistic goal unless a man truly believes that Maurice has gotten 100% out of this team.  Because they are still "close" to a playoff spot.  A top coach could have put this team in the playoffs, this things I believe.

Edited by Atomic

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I don't see how it's not a realistic goal unless a man truly believes that Maurice has gotten 100% out of this team.  Because they are still "close" to a playoff spot.  A top coach could have put this team in the playoffs, this things I believe.

Agreed.

The first few years of failure under Noel were excused by a weak roster.

The last 2 seasons of failure under Maurice are excused because the team is young.

What's the excuse when & if this continues to next season?

2 hours ago, Rich said:

What was he thinking?

What an idiot.  I have no patience for things like that.  Should be zero tolerance, 100-game ban for first offence, lifetime for second.  That's not an accident, that's not something that just happens during the course of a game.  That's blatant, physical abuse of an official and it should be dealt with as such.

16 minutes ago, Atomic said:

What an idiot.  I have no patience for things like that.  Should be zero tolerance, 100-game ban for first offence, lifetime for second.  That's not an accident, that's not something that just happens during the course of a game.  That's blatant, physical abuse of an official and it should be dealt with as such.

Cant even argue heat of the moment since there is a very long (under the circumstances) period between the face off and his decision to slash the official.  He stared at him, thought about it and then did it.  Is it automatic ten games and thats it or is that pending the NHL dishing out further games?  I agree with you, I'd go at least the rest of this season and playoffs.

22 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

You guys are crazy. 10 games are sufficient for Vermette. It was a really stupid thing to do, but it wasn't like he was trying to break his leg. 

It's inexcusable!  It doesn't matter what he did.  The refs aren't players in the game.  You can't touch them.  Period.  10 games?  That's nothing.  That's absolutely nothing.  He didn't make a mistake here.  He made an intentional decision to attack a referee.  That's garbage.  A strong message needs to be sent, and ten games is not a strong message.  That's saying "Yeah, if you're really mad, go ahead and slash the ref."

17 minutes ago, Atomic said:

It's inexcusable!  It doesn't matter what he did.  The refs aren't players in the game.  You can't touch them.  Period.  10 games?  That's nothing.  That's absolutely nothing.  He didn't make a mistake here.  He made an intentional decision to attack a referee.  That's garbage.  A strong message needs to be sent, and ten games is not a strong message.  That's saying "Yeah, if you're really mad, go ahead and slash the ref."

This may be an overreaction...

Of course it matters what he did. If he dropped his gloves and kicked the **** out of him, I would agree he should get a massive suspension. He gave him a smack on the calves with his stick. It's 10 games for disrespect rather than an "attack" on a referee.

Edited by sweep the leg

8 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Agreed.

The first few years of failure under Noel were excused by a weak roster.

The last 2 seasons of failure under Maurice are excused because the team is young.

What's the excuse when & if this continues to next season?

Won't matter as Chevy & Maurice will have long term deals by then.

15 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

This may be an overreaction...

Of course it matters what he did. If he dropped his gloves and kicked the **** out of him, I would agree he should get a massive suspension. He gave him a smack on the calves with his stick. It's 10 games for disrespect rather than an "attack" on a referee.

You just don't get it.  You have no respect for referees and the job they do.  If he dropped the gloves and beat up a ref, forget a suspension, he should be charged with assault.

The refs are not players in the game.  They are off-limits.  Period.