Around The NHL 2016/2017

12 hours ago, Floyd said:

Ok... but giving up a top ten 1st round and Perrault  for Huberdeau helps the Jets in what way...?

I'd give up our second in a shallow draft easy...

Huberdeau is one of the best young wingers in the game.  He is better than Perreault without question.  That's how it helps the Jets.

14 hours ago, Floyd said:

Perrault was pretty dominant as a third line centre in Anaheim...  I remember he had a crazy FO percentage - and then the Jets just never really used him as a Centre - always went with Jim Slater in critical situations ha

This feels like an overstatement.

I googled it b/c I was curious about his fo% in Anaheim. It was 52.65%, which is pretty good. Slater is 56.1% for his career.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Huberdeau is one of the best young wingers in the game.  He is better than Perreault without question.  That's how it helps the Jets.

But to give-up a potential top ten pick (with a lottery chance at number one) for Huberdeau? You're going to have to pay him a lot this summer to lock him up long-term.

And, I'm not sure where he fits on our left side.

Maybe you can move Connor for a young D this offseason?

3 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

This feels like an overstatement.

I googled it b/c I was curious about his fo% in Anaheim. It was 52.65%, which is pretty good. Slater is 56.1% for his career.

Interesting...  I thought it was a lot higher, I remember Chevy pumping that up when he signed him...

Perrault's corsi has gotten better since being a Jet - looking at his fancy stats, his contract makes more sense now

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

But to give-up a potential top ten pick (with a lottery chance at number one) for Huberdeau? You're going to have to pay him a lot this summer to lock him up long-term.

And, I'm not sure where he fits on our left side.

Maybe you can move Connor for a young D this offseason?

I think Huberdeau is already locked in at $6 million for a while...  

Either way, he's not being traded while Panthers are making a playoff run.

Edited by Floyd

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I think he's an RFA this summer. He signed a two-year bridge deal for $7M before last year, no?

I was incorrect.

Edited by JCon

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Either way, he's not being traded while Panthers are making a playoff run.

Ah, yes, I see they extended him last summer.

Still, how to fit him in? And, why would Florida trade him??

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Florida is not trading legit players... they will be trading picks and prospects

Schemitsch might be a nice pickup

I agree. I'm assuming this is wishful thinking.

Although, if you could get Huberdeau, it would allow you to move a lot of other players, like Connor. Also, given that he has a six-year deal starting this summer, you could certainly plan your cap space going forward.

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

IMO I'm just sick of trading players who are good NOW for draft picks who will maybe be good in five years.  What are we doing?  Let's win some f'n games.

I can't argue with that.

I can see Chevy moving some players before the trade deadline, rather than losing them in the expansion draft. Yes, we don't know if Vegas would take Perreault but they certainly could. If you move him, for, let's say a prospect or pick, it lets you protect someone else on the depth chart and gives you something in return.

Now, I wouldn't move an important, non-replaceable piece (in our current organization), without getting an NHLer in return.

Edited by JCon

55 minutes ago, JCon said:

I can't argue with that.

I can see Chevy moving some players before the trade deadline, rather than losing them in the expansion draft. Yes, we don't know if Vegas would take Perreault but they certainly could. If you move him, for, let's say a prospect or pick, it lets you protect someone else on the depth chart and gives you something in return.

Now, I wouldn't move an important, non-replaceable piece (in our current organization), without getting an NHLer in return.

Every time you move out someone, you lose someone else in the expansion draft.  Say, you trade Perreault and get a pick and a prospect.  Now you lose Armia/Lowry instead.  Net Gain = Add pick and prospect, lose Perreault and Armia/Lowry.  If you don't move Perreault, Net Gain = lose Perreault.  Is one necessarily better than the other?

Well at this point we are going 4x4x1 into the expansion draft right?

Schief, Wheel, Little are a given. Lowry #4 IMHO based on age, size, goals. Up for grabs - Copp, Armia, Perreault.

Too bad we couldn't hide Copp in the A :)

Buff, Trouba, Toby, Myers.

Or we convince Toby to give up his NMC and we go 5x3x1.

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well at this point we are going 4x4x1 into the expansion draft right?

Schief, Wheel, Little are a given. Lowry #4 IMHO based on age, size, goals. Up for grabs - Copp, Armia, Perreault.

Too bad we couldn't hide Copp in the A :)

Buff, Trouba, Toby, Myers.

Or we convince Toby to give up his NMC and we go 5x3x1.

ideally we go 5-3-1 but I dont think it happens.  You'd basically be going to Toby and saying 'look, we need you to waive your no-movement clause because we want to protect more forwards and we think you're not good enough for Vegas to select so we dont think we'd lose you....and if we do, oh well".  I dont see the Jets doing that.  And there is little upside for Toby to do it unless he hated Winnipeg and loved the idea of playing for a terrible team in Las Vegas.  And if he hated Winnipeg, then he could waive his NMC right now and be traded.

i agree that Lowry is the one protected.

7 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Just cant see Vegas picking up 32yr old Toby at 5.75m.

I agree.  But to expose him still requires the Jets to effectively tell him he isnt worth them protecting him or worth Vegas taking him.   And even if thats true, I dont see the Jets having that conversation with Toby.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

I agree.  But to expose him still requires the Jets to effectively tell him he isnt worth them protecting him or worth Vegas taking him.   And even if thats true, I dont see the Jets having that conversation with Toby.

Or they give him something in return? Not picked? 3yr extension.

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Or they give him something in return? Not picked? 3yr extension.

But Toby still has no control of that situation in the event he's picked.  I suppose that would work if they were allowed to offer an extension before the expansion draft but thats not the case (I believe). 

Unless they trade him at the deadline, I see them going 4-4-1 and protecting Toby, Buff, Trouba, Myers.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

IMO I'm just sick of trading players who are good NOW for draft picks who will maybe be good in five years.  What are we doing?  Let's win some f'n games.

So besides Ladd, when has his happened?  Oduya - no one wanted him when he was here...  Who else?

I just read that Chevy has actually traded more picks than he has kept...