keys to beating calgary.

wbbfan

No matter how, the Bombers have to be ahead by half-time and not by fluke plays. Given the track record of the team over the recent years, I do not think they have the mental stamina to come from behind. Willy has to take charge of his offence or we ought to see a change in quarterbacks for the second half.

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

To be fair, there was the drop by Smith you mentioned, then the over throw to Smith down the middle where he had beat everyone that would have been a TD and another over throw by Willy to Smith on a corner route that certainly had the potential to be a TD, and another miss opportunity to Adams down the sideline that would have been 6. Soooo there was more than the one dropped ball. There was plenty of opportunities that they missed.

yep he missed him and chances are strong that would have been a td. not 100% but pretty strong.  That corner route went right between the hands of smith. Thats a drop. That and mcduffie deep over the middle, probably a score not as strong as smith but with his speed pretty good chance. The 2 to smith could have been thrown better and made it easier to catch for certain. Those are drops but not 100% on smith. And the one to mcduffie is not 100% his fault. Thats a ball he should have, but that wasnt a the quality of throw that should be expected of willy or any qb earning that money in the cfl. 

1 hour ago, gmcyvr said:

Listening to TSN 1040 last week here in Vancouver, Wally Buono said pre-game the  key to beating Calgary was taking away Mitchell's first read.

thats interesting. and oddly specific coaches dont usually out stuff like that. Id expect calgary is thinking to same of willy though. He hasnt been a guy to look off a wr and was pretty dead red on his primary read last week. 

To me everything depends on whether or not the Bombers can break out on top and stay on top early in the game. If we go through the first half with little yards and little scoring I doubt we will come back.

And regardless of which team has the most talent in my opinion it all comes down to who has the best game plan. And unfortunately I think that will tip the scale toward the Stamps.

Weather may also play a role as we are expecting 60% chance of thundershowers around game time etc.

Get up early and pray,pray ,pray. Seriously though if we are competitive and see some marked improvements from our offense ,cause it's tough to beat Calgary at home  but if we can Get Willy going I think we can overcome an early season slow start....?

After Willy, I'm watching the Bass-Messam matchup.

Individually, I think Bass can take him but last game sure reminded me of Hurl's MLB play...  even the 'almost' sacks that we had...

So maybe Richie Hall's scheme does leave his MLB as a 'floater'...  if Bass has to hold back, going to be hard to stop the run.  If Hall lets him go, going to be very entertaining...

On 6/30/2016 at 2:42 PM, wbbfan said:

Whats your top 3 things the bombers need to do to beat calgary? (aside from score more points :P )

Mine:

1) Win the time of possession battle.  

Early and often touches for Harris. Coverting on 2nd down, and stringing together firsts downs. 

2) Willy on his feet.  No smacking around of our willy.

A strong pocket, Willy to be confident and composed in the pocket. Having pressure release and using them. But not limiting the offense to dump passes short of the first down.

3) Aggression. 

Blitz, swarm and hit on D. Get pressure in the back field, Play aggressive cover and not just give up easy passes for first downs. Take shots down field. Pound the D with harris. 

Yep. This is also what I would think.

For both (1) and (2) the OLine is going to have to perform much better AND Willy has to get rid of the ball sooner. In addition, he has to complete some passes in the 10 to 20 yard range or even deeper downfield as early as possible. You can't get the DBs to play off or get players to back out of the box and stop blitzing unless you have a significant threat down field. IMO, I don't think trying to run the ball on every possession will be as effective in stopping the blitz, but a running game will also help somewhat to increase TOP.

For (3), I'd also like to see more of a pressure defence, but I doubt we'll see that. Hall's defences always seem to play too soft.