NFL and CFL announce officiating development program

Atomic

http://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-officials/nfl-and-cfl-announce-officiating-development-program/

Very interesting.  I'm in favour of anything that gets refs more training and experience.

NFL AND CFL ANNOUNCE OFFICIATING DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM43 MINUTES AGO

Beginning in 2016, the National Football League and the Canadian Football League have announced that they have formed the NFL-CFL Officiating Development Program.

The program will send a group of NFL officials — primarily deep wing officials (side judges and field judges) — to work as part of CFL crews during preseason and regular-season games in June and July. The officials will return to the NFL before the 2016 season begins at the league’s annual officiating clinic in late July.

CFL officials will join the NFL’s Officiating Development Program, which is designed to train top officials in all aspects of NFL officiating. The program includes attending NFL minicamps and training camps, officiating preseason games, studying position-specific film with veteran NFL officials, reviewing mechanics and analyzing rules differences between the NFL and other leagues, including the CFL and college football.

Learn how NFL programs develop officials at every level. 

“Any time our newer officials can get more reps on the field, during practices or games, that will make them better officials,” said NFL Senior Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino. “The collaboration with the CFL will certainly benefit us as we prepare for the 2016 season and we look forward to welcoming our CFL officiating counterparts to our development program later this spring.”

“This historic partnership gives officials in both leagues an opportunity to hone their craft and get better through shared development activities and more snaps at the pro level,” said CFL Senior Vice-President of Football Glen Johnson. “We’re excited that a group of our officials will actively participate in the NFL Development Program and now have a formal path forward to be considered as prospects in their league.”

Edited by Atomic

Please please please let Andre Proulx be the head ref for at least one game.

"On da play, dere were .................................................................................................. two fouls ......................................................... on da offence (points the wrong way), holding, number 73 (no player with that number on either team) ............................. (goes and talks to back judge again) ........................... On da defence ........................................................ offsides ............................... number................................................... da play will be re-played from five yards back, first down .................................................................................................................................... correction, second down ................................... (moves the ball five yards in the wrong direction) ........................ Timer, please add one second to the game clock.  One second."

I don't mind Andre Proulx. He's been an official for a long time, close to 20 years? The misadventures with his second language can bring a smile to one's face, but he is aware of it and takes the ribbing very well. (even from his fellow officials) But his heart is in the right place and he takes the job seriously and is quite good at it. Now, if I would try to say all of what I just posted in French, in front of 25,000 people and a TV audience....now there would be an misadventure.

a lot of people have been asking for something like this for a while. Hopefully it works out. At the very least it shows that the league agrees that officiating has been sub-par in recent years. Does this eventually lead to hiring American refs full time? Never hurts to expand the talent pool you're drawing from.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I can't see anything bad about this program, well done. 

“This historic partnership gives officials in both leagues an opportunity to hone their craft and get better through shared development activities and more snaps at the pro level,” said CFL Senior Vice-President of Football Glen Johnson. “We’re excited that a group of our officials will actively participate in the NFL Development Program and now have a formal path forward to be considered as prospects in their league.”

This part is a downside to me.  They are developing NFL officials.  This has effectively created an opportunity for any good refs we have or develop in this program to jump the border, and much like the players, it's pretty much a no-brainer to make that jump.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

This part is a downside to me.  They are developing NFL officials.  This has effectively created an opportunity for any good refs we have or develop in this program to jump the border, and much like the players, it's pretty much a no-brainer to make that jump.

while I do agree, I hope this generates more desire from people to become refs and go through the training.  It seems like there is little to no grass roots building of referees to advance to this level..

hopefully this helps..

also, glad its happening finally as it SHOULD make our officials more capable.

3 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I never thought Bradbury was that bad but all the officials are equal opportunity refs. They screw each team equally.

I agree for the most part, but I'd like to see Murray Clarke let us get away with trying to murder another team's QB like he did with Brink in Montreal back in 2012. 

1 hour ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I think this is good for the CFL. Does anyone think there will be any issues though with NFL refs and not knowing the CFL rules? I know a lot of the calls are similar but there are lots of things that differ between the leagues. 

I'm sure this is going to accidentally happen, how much commitment are these trainees going to put into learning the rule differences if it's just a temporary gig.  Mistakes will happen but hopefully they're overseen and not put into positions were they can influence the game.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I'm sure this is going to accidentally happen, how much commitment are these trainees going to put into learning the rule differences if it's just a temporary gig.  Mistakes will happen but hopefully they're overseen and not put into positions were they can influence the game.

Well, as a trainee if you screw up & don't care about it, your career won't last long. I don't see that as being an issue.

17 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I think this is good for the CFL. Does anyone think there will be any issues though with NFL refs and not knowing the CFL rules? I know a lot of the calls are similar but there are lots of things that differ between the leagues. 

Here in Kelowna, high school football games are played on a 100 yard  field, and use strictly American high school rules - which differ slightly from the Professionals. I checked with an official who refs these games, and asked him if they are more difficult to ref than the Canadian game, and he said:

"more difficult, than Canadian? in many ways, it’s easier. less players, less motion, more run game, easier timing rules, fair catches. smaller field. kicking rules. the list goes on."

So, by that extension, American refs may have more of an issue than Canadian refs, but, then again, their programs for reffing must be better than ours..with more and better training ?.

And, football is football...

37 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Here in Kelowna, high school football games are played on a 100 yard  field, and use strictly American high school rules - which differ slightly from the Professionals. I checked with an official who refs these games, and asked him if they are more difficult to ref than the Canadian game, and he said:

"more difficult, than Canadian? in many ways, it’s easier. less players, less motion, more run game, easier timing rules, fair catches. smaller field. kicking rules. the list goes on."

So, by that extension, American refs may have more of an issue than Canadian refs, but, then again, their programs for reffing must be better than ours..with more and better training ?.

And, football is football...

Any idea when and why they switched to American football?

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Any idea when and why they switched to American football?

I can't tell you the exact reasoning, but being so close to the USA, and bigger markets, there is more competition and better opportunities for budding athletes. There are more scholarships and of course travel issues are a consideration. Simon Fraser University applied to the NCAA to be part of their Division 2 football but were turned down initially. Finally, the GNAC admitted SFU as a full conference member in 2010.

22 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I can't tell you the exact reasoning, but being so close to the USA, and bigger markets, there is more competition and better opportunities for budding athletes. There are more scholarships and of course travel issues are a consideration. Simon Fraser University applied to the NCAA to be part of their Division 2 football but were turned down initially. Finally, the GNAC admitted SFU as a full conference member in 2010.

Thanks.