Uniform changes with Adidas may not be dramatic

IC Khari

I have absolutely no problem with fans putting their names on the jersey.    I've been a season ticket holder since the late 60's.  My father, uncle, and grandfather since 1935.  I bought each of my kids season tickets when they turned 2.    I've got as much invested in the team (financially and emotionally) as any of the players.  I fully appreciate the hard work that they put in, and the risks that they take, but this is a community owned team.   The team constantly says how the fans are a big part of the  organization, so if we put our name or nickname on the jersey, we are re-enforcing that connection.

Around here in NFL-land, where everything is so ******* serious, you very rarely see fans wear anything but official player + number combo on their jerseys.  When they do, they get written up on jersey fail websites.

Whenever I'm watching the CFL live, back in Winnipeg or Vancouver or at the Grey Cup, it's pretty cool to see all the laid-back people doing their own thing and wearing CFL jerseys with their own names on them or with silly nicknames or whatever.  Rock on, you chill weirdos.

Edited by johnzo

What happened to the royal blue? The problem was it existed in the era prior to computer matched fabric colour duplication. Each manufacturer had a different concept of "royal blue" so that there was too much mismatched stuff. The solution became to go to a more consistent navy blue. There was a similar problem with the gold pants and matching the gold paint for the helmets. Fortunately computer colour coding seems to have eliminated the issue.

11 hours ago, johnzo said:

Around here in NFL-land, where everything is so ******* serious, you would only very very very rarely see fans wear anything but official player + number combo on their jerseys.  When they do, they get written up on jersey fail websites.

Whenever I'm watching the CFL live, back in Winnipeg or Vancouver or at the Grey Cup, it's pretty cool to see all the laid-back people doing their own thing and wearing CFL jerseys with their own names on them or with silly nicknames or whatever.  Rock on, you chill weirdos.

Well, that settles it. Website to trash fans? And they are fans. I'd call that stodgy, and lame. 

You said it, fans can be laid back and still support their teams. 

I personally like the nicknames idea. True Blue, BluePrince, BlueBlood, DeeBlues, BlueonBlue, and such. (no BlueJays though).

Just support your team, that's all.

I sat front row in section 8A at the old stadium, directly above section S. There was a healthy mix of player jerseys and custom jerseys. Probably a 50/50 split. The duos of Prof. Scotch & Prof. Bourbon and Drunk & Disorderly were some good ones. Wish I could remember more off the top of my head. I really miss section S...

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Well, that settles it. Website to trash fans? And they are fans. I'd call that stodgy, and lame. 

You said it, fans can be laid back and still support their teams. 

I personally like the nicknames idea. True Blue, BluePrince, BlueBlood, DeeBlues, BlueonBlue, and such. (no BlueJays though).

Just support your team, that's all.

I've seen a website where a fan goes around taking pictures of Jets fans wearing their names on the back of jerseys as well as what he feels are cheap knockoffs. Myself, I think the guy is like you say "stodgy & lame". That he should get a life & quit worrying as well as trying to embarrass people by mocking them on a website. As long as we can buy jerseys with no names or numbers on them then what fans put on them are their own business.

I have an old #2 Tom Clements jersey from 1985 with my name on the back. At the time I bought it I never thought it was wrong putting my name on it. Back then fans did that more than today. Now, I wish I had put Tommy's last name on it instead of mine but I can't change it. It's seems too small for me now but with today's tight fitting jerseys it may actually be back in style, ironically.  However, it sits in my closet. That's why every jersey I now buy has a players last name & number on it.

My wife came up with an idea. If I don't wear it anymore then why not frame it with only the front showing? That may be a pretty good idea.

Edited by iso_55

I agree 100% with Mr Dee on this one. The website trashing the fans is the "fail" here, not the fans wearing personalized jerseys. While I think the offensive jerseys are just dumb, wearing a personalized jersey just shows you are a fan wearing the colors. 

These people have invested their money in tickets, probably season tickets, invested more money in their team shop, and invested their time to show up and cheer on their team. To call them a fail is laughable.

What actually burns me is people that don't wear jerseys or any team gear to a game. I always feel it is football, you are invested enough to continually purchase season tickets yearly, buy a jersey! Now I get it, I have my clothes and my trendy clothes that I love to wear, I just feel a jersey really has its place at a football game and adds to the experience. Lol, maybe that is just me tho.

Edited by Steve Fanitage
added paragraph

I always like the made up names on the back of jerseys - those 2 dudes with the mega phone parading around Section S with Milf and Cougar hunter name plates come to mind back at the old stadium.  But I have zero problem with any name on something you are putting money into, it's your jersey! My dad bought a gold Turner Jr 2 years ago and they stitched Tuner Jr into it lol thats more of a fail then anything

1 hour ago, saskbluefan said:

Personalized jerseys I can sort of abide by. 

Knock off jerseys and incorrect jerseys like a modern Jets jersey with "Hawerchuk" on it deserve to be mocked. 

No, how is that a fail? if a fan puts a retired name on a modern jersey why should he be mocked? How many 1962 Blue Bombers jerseys are out there for sale at the Bomber shop that fans can buy with "#14 Thornton" on it? I hate this superiority shown by some fans when it comes to stuff like this. You're way off base if you mock fans for putting a retired out of era name on a modern jersey. Fans can do whatever they want with their jerseys as they spent the money to buy it without being mocked.

16 hours ago, iso_55 said:

No, how is that a fail? if a fan puts a retired name on a modern jersey why should he be mocked? How many 1962 Blue Bombers jerseys are out there for sale at the Bomber shop that fans can buy with "#14 Thornton" on it? I hate this superiority shown by some fans when it comes to stuff like this. You're way off base if you mock fans for putting a retired out of era name on a modern jersey. Fans can do whatever they want with their jerseys as they spent the money to buy it without being mocked.

You're right that fans can put whatever they want on jerseys.  You could put Thornton #14 on a modern jersey.  You could put Gretzky #99 on a Jets jersey too.  They would both be equally incorrect.  And I would mock you.  Nothing personal.  It doesn't make you less of a fan.  It just makes you a fan wearing a jersey that makes no sense.  Like I said, I'm a snob about such things.   

37 minutes ago, saskbluefan said:

You're right that fans can put whatever they want on jerseys.  You could put Thornton #14 on a modern jersey.  You could put Gretzky #99 on a Jets jersey too.  They would both be equally incorrect.  And I would mock you.  Nothing personal.  It doesn't make you less of a fan.  It just makes you a fan wearing a jersey that makes no sense.  Like I said, I'm a snob about such things.   

Exxxxxxxactly.....tho I'm tempted to make a comment about them being "less of a fan" but I'm also a super snob about that sorta thing...

I am completely convinced everyone has their own set of rules on this. While someone may think  a #14 Thornton on a modern jersey makes no sense, someone else may think currently wearing a Cory Watson Blue Bomber jersey makes no sense. Yes, he once wore that jersey, but he doesn't now so to some it is no longer relevant. 

Saskbluefan is sort of all over the map. He says "personalized jerseys I can sort of abide by" and then says Thornton on a modern jersey "makes no sense". Going by his name, I will blame this on living in that horrible province. Noeller I will just blame on being a "hairy guy who sweats a lot".

Anyways, I've made my point, but really my only point is that people should not be mocked because these rules are made up and it sounds too superior. 

21 hours ago, saskbluefan said:

Personalized jerseys I can sort of abide by. 

Knock off jerseys and incorrect jerseys like a modern Jets jersey with "Hawerchuk" on it deserve to be mocked. 

How do you know the guy's name isn't Hawerchuk?

I have no problem with this.  My #44 Bogosian jersey may now become a "CRONIN" jersey.  And hopefully it pisses you off.

3 hours ago, saskbluefan said:

For some unknown reason you think you're smarter than the fans you say you'mock. Ever thought that every jersey a team wears represents the organization past & present?  So putting a player's name on it from another era is fine to do so as it pays hommage to that player & the team he played for?

Edited by iso_55

11 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

RE: a rider fan wearing stegall on his rider jersey,  is it a fail, or wishful thinking and trying to get ahead of the curve thinking Stegall would one day play for them.  if it actually worked he/she could have been setting up a trend of "what it would look like to see ______ wear whatever colours"

Finally after 6 seasons my Dressler jersey is now a wise investment.

1 minute ago, TrueBlue said:

I would kind of argue the name "Hawerchuk" (see: Dale Hawerchuk) on a modern Jets jersey too.  It's nearly the same thing as putting "Modano" on a Wild jersey.  

not gonna lie everytime the coyotes are on TV at home and they mention shane doan passing his franchise point mark and showing the Hawerchuck name hanging in their building, i kinda wanna go kick something

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

I would kind of argue the name "Hawerchuk" (see: Dale Hawerchuk) on a modern Jets jersey too.  It's nearly the same thing as putting "Modano" on a Wild jersey.  

Except the Jets are still called the Jets, and the Wild are not called the North Stars (or stars)

What would you do in the case of the Cleveland Browns? 

8 minutes ago, ALuCsRED said:

Except the Jets are still called the Jets, and the Wild are not called the North Stars (or stars)

What would you do in the case of the Cleveland Browns? 

The fact that they are still called the Jets is irrelevant when discussing this IMO.  Jets or not, Hawerchuk never played for our current hockey franchise. 

I'd consider the Cleveland Browns under a different light altogether because of the settlement they agreed on to to keep the city's history and team name when they were brought back into the NFL.   The Jets had no agreement like this in place.

4 hours ago, iso_55 said:

For some unknown reason you think you're smarter than the fans you say you'mock. Ever thought that every jersey a team wears represents the organization past & present?  So putting a player's name on it from another era is fine to do so as it pays hommage to that player & the team he played for?

Well we will have to agree to disagree.  Unless you tell me you wear your jersey tucked into your pants.  Then we are headed for a flame war.