CFL and Blue Bombers Being Sued

voodoochylde

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are being sued for $50,000 over the cancellation of a Grey Cup contract.

Local 63 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees claims that earlier this month it was awarded a contract by the Canadian Football League to work the Grey Cup half-time show earlier this month.

Two days later, the Bombers and CEO Wade Miller interfered in the process and convinced the CFL to rescind the contract and award it to another company, according to the lawsuit, filed Tuesday at the Court of Queen's Bench.

"They gave us a contract saying that we were going to be providing the labour. So obviously we had to take steps to be able to get people the numbers that they required available. Then all of a sudden they pulled the rug out under our feet," said Barny Haines, who represents the IATSE workers.

"So we have no recourse, other than to sue them."

The lawsuit also names as defendants the CFL, Triple B Stadium Inc. (the consortium that owns Investors Group Field), Wade Miller and a number of individuals.

Matt Maychak, vice-president of communications for the CFL, said the league had no comment on matters that are before the courts.

So some work was done for a potential customer, but nothing came of it?  They even "got some numbers together"?  You don't say.  I've never heard of something so scandalous in all my days.

Man, I'll have to let the sales guys know, if it doesn't go through, just sue sue sue...

They should also seek compensation for having to open an email.  Uses an awful lot of power.

“The Blue Bombers and the stadium cried foul to the CFL, the CFL two days later said ‘okay we’ll take away the contract,” says Haines.

Haines says the unionized workers have been “screwed.”

He says they won the right to work by making the lowest bid during a tendering process.

None of his accusations have actually been proven in court.

The lawsuit is claiming damages in the amount of $40,000.

Neither the Bombers nor the CFL have issued comment on the lawsuit.

So they didn't have a contract.

They had an email that was rescinded two days later.  

In two days, they hired enough people for this job that they need to recover $40k ?

Reneging on a signed contract is worth suing about because you have a very good chance of winning. If there was a confirmation email then they don't have anywhere near as strong a case, the chances of winning are way lower and it may cost more to try and collect than it's worth. Sounds like the union is just trying to embarrass the Bombers to me, but then again I don't have all the facts.

“The Blue Bombers and the stadium cried foul to the CFL, the CFL two days later said ‘okay we’ll take away the contract,” says Haines.

He says they won the right to work by making the lowest bid during a tendering process.

In two days, they hired enough people for this job that they need to recover $40k ?

You spoke what was on my mind.  What the hell did they do in 2 days that would come to this amount?!?!  LOL.  Seems ridiculous.

From what I understand of the situation, newly hired wage negotiator for the union Brendan Taman paid the employees 50% upfront hoping it would help drive down final costs. When asked, Brendan just shrugged his shoulders and stated that it seemed like a good idea at the time. Darian Durant could not be reached for comment, but it is believed he fully endorsed this idea.

You spoke what was on my mind.  What the hell did they do in 2 days that would come to this amount?!?!  LOL.  Seems ridiculous.

From a source I have that has connections with the union, the issue is that when the contract was awarded (if that is the accurate way things happened, I make no definitive statement on that) union workers were pulled off of work from existing jobs to free them up for the Grey Cup gig. When that fell through, the workers were unable to get back their original jobs that they had given up. Hence the lost wages and the claim for damages. Again, don't question me about the merits of such a claim, simply reporting what I have heard without picking a side in this fight.

would be very interesting to find out who the contract was awarded to. If it was Miller's bunch then yes sue conflict of interest being one point, if it was someone else how reputable is the email - again if legal and binding without signature then yes sue again. If none of the fore mentioned then there I nothing. On another note to touch on what one person has said season ticket holders don't have to sue because of a poor product, that was expected sort of but as for the grey cup ticket price slash to fill the stadium with no regard for the true blue season ticket holder, well sue then by walking away. They are already hurting as numbers from last year are again down for 2016 so lets see what Mr. Miller has in store to repair yet another mis step by management.

Reneging on a signed contract is worth suing about because you have a very good chance of winning.

By suing for only $50,000 you have a very good chance of settling out of court with the league.

But there was no signed contract. Not even a handshake deal. Can an email hold up in court for "a contractual guartantee"?

Reneging on a signed contract is worth suing about because you have a very good chance of winning.

By suing for only $50,000 you have a very good chance of settling out of court with the league.

But there was no signed contract. Not even a handshake deal. Can an email hold up in court for "a contractual guartantee"?

E-mail promises are worth about as much as the paper they're written on.

Local 63 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees

lol, Wades probably shaking in his boots.

Dateline: Nov. 29, 2015, Winnipeg...

The 103 Grey Cup was marred by protests, creating an uneasy feeling for the spectators who thought they were in for a quiet and peaceful game of football.  "It was glitter and jazz-hands as far as the eye could see" said one fan.  "I wasn't about to risk it", said another, "Life's too short.  You could see it in their eyes.  Someone was going to get plie'-d."

Local 63 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees

lol, Wades probably shaking in his boots.

Dateline: Nov. 29, 2015, Winnipeg...

The 103 Grey Cup was marred by protests, creating an uneasy feeling for the spectators who thought they were in for a quiet and peaceful game of football. "It was glitter and jazz-hands as far as the eye could see" said one fan. "I wasn't about to risk it", said another, "Life's too short. You could see it in their eyes. Someone was going to get plie'-d."