Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎27 at 8:03 AM, Mike said:

*If* Jones actually did offer the league minimum to JSJ, he's an absolute idiot. I don't think he did, for what it's worth.

Rider_Stronson is going on and on over at Riderfans about how this is a market correction to make up for the deals Walters and Desjardins gave out last year to Chungh and Mateas, but what a joke. He wants to blame this on some valiant effort to right the wrongs of past GMs, but really it strikes me as Jones (again, *if* true) trying to combat stubbornness with stubbornness. The #1 overall pick hasn't made league minimum for years. Heenan didn't, Muamba didn't, even Shomari the Marshmallow didn't make league minimum.

I don't know what is going on with these negotiations, but if there was a league minimum offer tabled then Jones is going to find out in a hurry that JSJ isn't in any hurry to sign for that amount.

I personally love the fact that Jones is willing to butt heads with Hardaway. Go get 'em Jonesy!! Do the league a favor and put him in place. Sure it will probably cost you the loyalty of your first overall pick, and cost you huge in trying to sign any Hardaway client in the future, but you're the man Jones...common sense and bridge building need not concern you. I really am seeing some striking similarities in the management styles of Mike Kelly and Chris Jones....and I like it.

Edited by gcn11

8 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

I personally love the fact that Jones is willing to butt heads with Hardaway. Go get 'em Jonesy!! Do the league a favor and put him in place. Sure it will probably cost you the loyalty of your first overall pick, and cost you huge in trying to sign any Hardaway client in the future, but you're the man Jones...common sense and bridge building need not concern you. I really am seeing some striking similarities in the management styles of Mike Kelly and Chris Jones....and I like it.

If Jones becomes another Mike Kelly I'm so happy he's in Regina and not here. All I have to say about that.

TRAINING CAMP PRIMER: A TEAM BY TEAM LOOK - http://www.cfl.ca/2016/05/27/training-camp-primer-a-team-by-team-look/

If you want a general overview over the teams, take a look at this article. 

Here's an example:  interesting, but...

DON’T BE SHOCKED IF…

BC -  One of the young kids takes over the starting running back position, like 22-year-old J.C. Coleman who’s put in an impressive rookie camp. What the former Virginia Tech star lacks in size (he checked in at 5-foot-6, 187 pounds as a senior) he makes up for in speed and elusiveness.

Edmonton - Jacoby Ford earns a starting role heading into the regular season. He’s still gotta make the team, but Ford has the ideal skill-set to replace the speed of the departed Kenny Stafford. Derel Walker and Adarius Bowman are high-volume pass-catchers but Reilly needs his deep threat and Ford fits the bill.

Calgary - Jerome Messam doesn’t come out of camp as the Stamps’ feature back. Everyone’s talking about the battle at receiver but Dickenson mentioned there will be competition at that spot, particularly from Tory Harrison as the Stampeders no longer need to deploy a national running back.

Saskatchewan - Jonathan Williams starts in the middle of the Riders’ defensive line. Chris Jones said this week he’s bringing Williams in for a look, touting his character and high motor. The 6-foot-2, 282-pound interior lineman fills a need for the Riders, especially following the departure of the retired Tearrius George.

Winnipeg - Michael Couture wins a starting job on the O-line. Much like Trent Corney he’ll be given a chance to compete, and many considered him pro-ready coming out of the draft.

Hamilton - Jeff Mathews wins the starting quarterback job for the Ticats until Collaros returns. Mathews didn’t end 2015 on a positive note but he was highly-regarded by Austin a year ago and at 24 he’s still got plenty of upside. We’ll find out soon if he’s taken a step forward over the span of an off-season.

Toronto - One of the Argos’ big three receivers gets released. As already mentioned, the Boatmen have a ton of depth at the position and several new names knocking on the door. It’s hard to say anyone is safe, especially if Devon Wiley and Da’Rick Rogers put on a show in camp.

Ottawa - William Powell isn’t the team’s starting running back to open the season. Powell gave the REDBLACKS consistency at the position for the first time by the end of last season, but Travon Van could be breathing down his neck. Both are capable starters.

Montreal - One of Kevin Glenn’s young understudies is either traded or released near the start of camp. Vernon Adams looks like the team’s quarterback of the future in the eyes of Jim Popp, while national Brandon Bridge showed well in his first career start late last season. Where does that leave Rakeem Cato and Tajh Boyd?

The Ticats are 1st to make some moves today:

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Saturday that the club has signed eight international free agents, including defensive end Antonio Coleman, defensive back Trey Wolfe, linebackers Will Smith and D.J. Hunter, running backs Da’Rel Scott (ex Bomber) and Ross Scheuerman, wide receiver Patrick Robertson, and placekicker Cody Mandell.

Cuts....

INT – DB – Mike Harris
INT – DB – Tevrin Brandon
INT – LB – Charles Clay
INT – RB – Ronnie Wingo

The following players have been added to the Veteran Exempt List prior to the start of training camp:
INT – QB – Zach Collaros
NAT – LB – Byron Archambault

Edited by Mr Dee

11 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

The Ticats are 1st to make some moves today:

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Saturday that the club has signed eight international free agents, including defensive end Antonio Coleman, defensive back Trey Wolfe, linebackers Will Smith and D.J. Hunter, running backs Da’Rel Scott (ex Bomber) and Ross Scheuerman, wide receiver Patrick Robertson, and placekicker Cody Mandell.

Cuts....

INT – DB – Mike Harris
INT – DB – Tevrin Brandon
INT – LB – Charles Clay
INT – RB – Ronnie Wingo

The following players have been added to the Veteran Exempt List prior to the start of training camp:
INT – QB – Zach Collaros
NAT – LB – Byron Archambault

Too bad Ronnie Wingo is a great name

12 hours ago, gcn11 said:

holy **** i mentioned the eerie similarities with kelly and jones so far a while ago on riderfans and got **** on like i was paul mccallums house

7 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

holy **** i mentioned the eerie similarities with kelly and jones so far a while ago on riderfans and got **** on like i was paul mccallums house

That's because there aren't any. Kelly had won cups in multiple towns before coming to Winnipeg? I'm not defending Jones here but come on??  Really??  Hey I get it that some of you hate the Riders so much that you will jump at any excuse to sling mud, but Kelly and Jones    comparisons? 

One of the key similarities is both Jones and Kelly  brought in  John Murphy.  Similar situation with a rebuild  and constant trades and wasted draft picks.   Jones isn't a head case like Mk but I expect a similar result.. 7-11.    Maybe Durant will get injured and  Michael Bishop will be wearing green by August 

20 minutes ago, holoman said:

One of the key similarities is both Jones and Kelly  brought in  John Murphy.  Similar situation with a rebuild  and constant trades and wasted draft picks.   Jones isn't a head case like Mk but I expect a similar result.. 7-11.    Maybe Durant will get injured and  Michael Bishop will be wearing green by August 

I'd rather go with Kerry Joseph.

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Idk. I think Jones has a loooooong way to go before Kelly territory. I mean I have yet to see him lose it on the media and fans or sign a lefty QB in which he immediately declared him the starter...... Or get in trouble for domestic abuse. 

Edited by Bomber_fanaddict

47 minutes ago, Ripper said:

That's because there aren't any. Kelly had won cups in multiple towns before coming to Winnipeg? I'm not defending Jones here but come on??  Really??  Hey I get it that some of you hate the Riders so much that you will jump at any excuse to sling mud, but Kelly and Jones    comparisons? 

kelly made some questionable moves right off the hop, getting rid of glenn and bringing in lefors. While that extreme isnt quite matched, coming in, releasing 19 players, letting dressler and chick go bringing in price...ect Kelly took a very controlled approached to all aspects of the team, so has jones.  Jones might not be the media clown kelly was but hes equally dividing the fan base to a very black and white like state,  same as it was here. Ourbombers was very divided board while kelly was running the show. As fans we intially give benefit to the doubt and support the new guys taking over (see the IMWT movement) but guys who come in and make bold moves really set them selves up for sink or swim.  Believe me if this rebuild year isnt a good one, it doesnt matter about logic and patience, the "vocal minority" will get loud and unruly.  bank on it

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

18 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

kelly made some questionable moves right off the hop, getting rid of glenn and bringing in lefors. While that extreme isnt quite matched, coming in, releasing 19 players, letting dressler and chick go bringing in price...ect Kelly took a very controlled approached to all aspects of the team, so has jones.  Jones might not be the media clown kelly was but hes equally dividing the fan base to a very black and white like state,  same as it was here. Ourbombers was very divided board while kelly was running the show. As fans we intially give benefit to the doubt and support the new guys taking over (see the IMWT movement) but guys who come in and make bold moves really set them selves up for sink or swim.  Believe me if this rebuild year isnt a good one, it doesnt matter about logic and patience, the "vocal minority" will get loud and unruly.  bank on it

I will be leading the charge to run his ass out of town if the rebuild doesn't go well. I have no patience for excuses. My comment towards you was more about the fact that Jones, even though he is a hard ass, has proven he can win elsewhere. Jones also is loved by his players. Some similarities between Chamblin and Jones. Chamblin divided the fans here pretty quick. Chamblin also didn't get much leash as he wasn't a proven commodity, the rest is history. Jones will get some leash here, because he has earned it. But make no mistake, if the Riders start 0-3, some will want him fired.

49 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Idk. I think Jones has a loooooong way to go before Kelly territory. I mean I have yet to see him lose it on the media and fans or sign a lefty QB in which he immediately declared him the starter...... Or get in trouble for domestic abuse. 

Nah, enough "retired" Riders accomplishing that on their own.

16 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I will be leading the charge to run his ass out of town if the rebuild doesn't go well. I have no patience for excuses. My comment towards you was more about the fact that Jones, even though he is a hard ass, has proven he can win elsewhere. Jones also is loved by his players. Some similarities between Chamblin and Jones. Chamblin divided the fans here pretty quick. Chamblin also didn't get much leash as he wasn't a proven commodity, the rest is history. Jones will get some leash here, because he has earned it. But make no mistake, if the Riders start 0-3, some will want him fired.

as a coach I think Jones is far superior, though has he ever gone to a team that was in the shape the riders are/were in years previously? Even great coaches would have some trouble managing a bad team. I was more referring the Jones the GM and from what i can tell he's been very hit and miss and some really questionable moves (if accurate) such as getting rid of/lowballing fan favorites, irregardless of what Taman had lined up for them. then signing flakes like price and trading away picks. Bartel, Gainey, apparently lowballing his #1 pick.  It will really be telling what kind of stuff he's really made of after this year but right now it looks like the failure kelly set himself up for without even playing a game