Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

3 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Why is it that there is a belief that players can just automatically transition from playing and become pro coaches? 

I think there are two reasons:

1. Sentimental.   People like to see players they cheered for continue on with the organization in some capacity once age catches up with them.

2. People tend to know the names of ex-players more then up and coming coaches who may or may not be in the CFL currently (especially for positional coaches).  So it is rare you will see someone say I would like ______________ to be our next DB coach for a coach who is not a player because most fans don't know who the potential candidates would even be.

At the end of the day, the fans don't make the decisions on coaching, so it is a relatively harmless thing to do.

1 hour ago, IC Khari said:

... says the dude who is still obsessing about a joke posted over 18 hours ago.

He's been a bit more touchy than normal lately.  It's like anytime you mention the word "Riders", there's Superman Ripper to save the day and defend the mighty honor of the Rider fanbase.

What a hero.

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

1. Sentimental.   People like to see players they cheered for continue on with the organization in some capacity once age catches up with them.

2. People tend to know the names of ex-players more then up and coming coaches who may or may not be in the CFL currently (especially for positional coaches).  So it is rare you will see someone say I would like ______________ to be our next DB coach for a coach who is not a player because most fans don't know who the potential candidates would even be.

At the end of the day, the fans don't make the decisions on coaching, so it is a relatively harmless thing to do.

Good post.  A possible number 3.  Players are believed to have a bit of a leg up on people who have never played the particular sport and can help with issues outside the x's and o's.  Locker room issues, injury rehab, etc.. 

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

Why is it that there is a belief that players can just automatically transition from playing and become pro coaches? 

I don't necessarily disagree but I think any good employee in any job should be able to train others to do so as well. By the time a guy reaches pro he has many years and many coaching styles to make use of to teach the next generation, besides DB coach isn't exactly the top of the coaching tree. Going coordinator or HC is a whole different story I think.

18 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I don't necessarily disagree but I think any good employee in any job should be able to train others to do so as well. By the time a guy reaches pro he has many years and many coaching styles to make use of to teach the next generation, besides DB coach isn't exactly the top of the coaching tree. Going coordinator or HC is a whole different story I think.

Just because a guy can do a  job really well, doesn't mean he can teach others how to do it well. Some people are really good at teaching, others just don't have the patience for it  and expect others to "Just get it, man...." which is 100% how I am at work. I can't stand training newbies because I don't have the patience for it...

As said many times, "Those who can, do....those who can't, teach....(and those who can't teach, teach phys ed...)"

On 5/14/2016 at 3:19 AM, J5V said:

I just deleted J5V's comments as they have nothing to do with the discussion. Why does this site do this? #frustrating

Noeller, I remember Ron Lancaster talking about the fact that throwing the football seemed so natural to him & when he epically failed in his first coaching gig in Saskatchewan after he had just retired as a player that he had to learn patience & come to understand what came easy to him didn't necessarily come easy to others.

Edited by iso_55

5 hours ago, IC Khari said:

Well if you're saying drafting him in the third round is a fail, I agree :D. Not saying he isn't or won't be a good kicker, but considering the positional needs the riders have, kicker is a reach that high in the draft. I doubt anyone else takes him because every team seems set at kicker so you wasted a pick you could have used on a positional need for something you could have had anyway.

I didn't see a problem with the pick. They've got one unproven kicker and a subpar punter on the roster.

Hamilton & TO could have both potentially taken him. They're not exactly rich with kicking talent. 

Edited by sweep the leg

6 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I didn't see a problem with the pick. They've got one unproven kicker and a subpar punter on the roster.

Hamilton & TO could have both potentially taken him. They're not exactly rich with kicking talent. 

The Argos have Lirim & I'm definitely good with that!

2 hours ago, Rich said:

3) Suber, a guy who played at a very high level against players much taller than him, and likely stronger than him, probably understands the position at an equally high level to have succeeded despite having the odds stacked against him.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Just because a guy can do a  job really well, doesn't mean he can teach others how to do it well. Some people are really good at teaching, others just don't have the patience for it  and expect others to "Just get it, man...." which is 100% how I am at work. I can't stand training newbies because I don't have the patience for it...

As said many times, "Those who can, do....those who can't, teach....(and those who can't teach, teach phys ed...)"

The original expression was "Those who can, do...those who UNDERSTAND, teach."

(as in, to teach one must have more than just the ability to do, not that one is incapable of doing)

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

To each his own, but I hope the Bombers never take a kicker anywhere but in the last two rounds of the CFL draft from here on in. Most teams are moving away from National kickers, replacing the roster spots elsewhere. It's becoming like the National QB it seems. There are lots of good out of work American ones out there. Why draft one?

Edited by IC Khari

I never understood the phrase "Those that can't, teach"... Then there was a reference to Phys Ed teachers. I worked with a Phys Ed teacher at my HS in Calgary who was a  volleyball Olympian in 1976 for Canada. Another phys ed teacher had a scholarship to an NCAA college. These guys were great phys ed teachers & great colleagues to work with.

27 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I never understood the phrase "Those that can't, teach"... Then there was a reference to Phys Ed teachers. I worked with a Phys Ed teacher at my HS in Calgary who was a  volleyball Olympian in 1976 for Canada. Another phys ed teacher had a scholarship to an NCAA college. These guys were great phys ed teachers & great colleagues to work with.

My PE teachers were also my math teachers in middle school. Probably because they were intelligent people and good teachers, not 'just athletes'. It's a joke from the hilarious Jack Black movie School of Rock.

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Who does Hamilton have at kicker? Sask maybe poached this kicker early thinking that Hamilton was gunning for him.

According to their roster the TiCats don't have any kickers or punters listed.  Can't be right, I thought Hugh O'Neill was still there.

Picked this info. up off the Rider's site.....sometimes I hate the CFL. 

Clarence Denmark:

- One year deal
- Base contract in the 60's
- NO signing bonus
-If he hits ALL incentives such as being an All Star, 1,000 yard receiver, etc. etc. he'll make close to $80K but no one hits all of those. Even if he did, we'd get a steal at $80K. But he's likely going to make in the 70's somewhere.

The good news is Ego Jones is well on his way to establishing a reputation among vets. as a nasty negotiator and the cheapest GM in the league.  May he reap his just reward in next years F.A.

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

You want a motivated employee?give them the opportunity and incentive to earn money, when you don't have to just hand it to them.

You want a disgruntled employee? You tie their salary to incentives and watch them implode when they don't get enough opportunities to earn the bonus.