Award Finalists Announced

Rich

I know we're biased but the way that I look at it is Sinopoli wasn't even the best receiver on his team much less the league (stats wise), whereas Westerman was  on his team and was number 2 in the league

The thing about Sinopoli is that there really was no indication that he was anywhere near what he turned out to be this year. He went from a reliable hands receiver to a 1000 yard receiver and one that was getting it done after the catch as well. Westerman had a great year, no doubt, but it was pretty much anticipated that he would. He has the experience. Not one person here would have predicted how much of a jump that Sinopoli would make.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Westerman won and it it would be deserved, but I just cannot see any voting member ignoring what Sinopoli did this year. Either way the big winner will be the NI talent across the league because of what these two managed to do. I hope this inspires more NIs to higher goals and encourages more NI to stick with the CFL

The media just loves that QB-turned-Rec story and will be all over that when voting.

Matthew Scianitti tweeted his awards ballot. Westerman is one of his two votes as All Star at DE. Sinopli isn't one of his all star wide receivers.

Sinopli is his vote for outstanding Canadian, his rational is because he reinvented himself and "the WR is reliable. Period"

Westerman certainly deserves it more and I think he'll win it but in this day and age, the 'story' often trumps everything. Sinopoli has a great back story. Canadian QB who got a shot with Calgary who changed positions to receiver to be able to play who then went 'home' to Ottawa to have his breakout year get 1000 yards helping to lead his team to first place in the east.

Westerman certainly deserves it more and I think he'll win it but in this day and age, the 'story' often trumps everything. Sinopoli has a great back story. Canadian QB who got a shot with Calgary who changed positions to receiver to be able to play who then went 'home' to Ottawa to have his breakout year get 1000 yards helping to lead his team to first place in the east.

This is exactly right... especially with the media voting... they will never pass the good story...

The media just loves that QB-turned-Rec story and will be all over that when voting.

Matthew Scianitti tweeted his awards ballot. Westerman is one of his two votes as All Star at DE. Sinopli isn't one of his all star wide receivers.

Sinopli is his vote for outstanding Canadian, his rational is because he reinvented himself and "the WR is reliable. Period"

Not good enough to be an all star .. but hey .. let's make you the CFL's Most Outstanding Canadian ..

At this point .. it's best to just switch off any pretense of logic and what SHOULD happen and let it ride.

I won't be upset if Sinopoli wins it because he does deserve it, but given the choice this year, it's Westerman and it's not even close

Compared to Westerman he does not deserve it. Sinopoli is a run of the mill receiver. He is one of 4 1000 yard receivers and the fourth best receiver on his own team. Westerman is an elite DE. Sinopoli winning would be an embarrassment to be quite honest.

I won't be upset if Sinopoli wins it because he does deserve it, but given the choice this year, it's Westerman and it's not even close

Compared to Westerman he does not deserve it. Sinopoli is a run of the mill receiver. He is one of 4 1000 yard receivers and the fourth best receiver on his own team. Westerman is an elite DE. Sinopoli winning would be an embarrassment to be quite honest.

Sinopoli is a very good receiver- probably the best NI receiver in the league this year and would be a starter on any team, but good Canadian receivers are easier to come by than dominant D-linemen who also happen to be Canadian, so Westerman ought to get the nod. But the league has a vested interest in hyping the RedBlacks, so Sinopoli winning is not a stretch.

Let's not underappreciate what either Westetman or Sinopoli has done. We want and need Westerman to win, and he does deserve it, but Sinopoli has been an exceptional NI who has managed to use his knowledge in what he learned at QB and transfer it to being a receiver. He's smart and athletic enough to make that work. But that speaks to his overall transference as a player, not so much of what he's done this year. He's benefited, somewhat, of a QB's record completion year, and how he's spread the ball around. That's great and might make him an all star, but, story or not, Westerman should get it.

• 2 weeks later...