Bombers Cut Chevon Walker

Rich

Walker never was a going-to-be-a-Bomber-RB, he was a fill-til-the regular-RB-gets-back kind of player. I always believed he wasn't going to be here long, and these series of moves confirms it.

He also came cheap, was a known commodity and has had some success (albiet small amount) in the league. He wasnt brought in to be a saviour, he was a stop gap. Reason? All of our "wanted" guys were probably still in NFL camps. Guys that were available were grigsbys and walkers and probably the same level of skill. also, other available guys could easily be on neg lists too.

Had no interest in Messam at the time but gave this wash out a look.....

No one had much interest in Messam when he was available.

No one had interest and we all laughed at Sask for signing a washed up walking injury NFL reject....and now look at him.......I don't mind giving some guys a second or third chance.  Sometimes they just click with different guys around them and schemes sometimes they just don't have it.  Can't hate on the Bombers for trying and nice to see they gave him a short leash and didn't try forcing more on him and saw that he wasn't the answer right away then keeping him until next season and trying to start him and not searching for another RB.

What gets me still is Ottawa is in their second season and have a much better roster than us. How does that happen? And the fact that we are signing their cast offs tells me why we are where we are. Why can't we recruit anymore. QB's have been our Achilles heel for decades but our RB's have been money. Now that's dried up too. 

What did Ottawa see in him. I dunno really. It's amazing how many chances some of these guys get

If you want to review Walkers skills re-watch the Bombers first game against the RB's last season.  No doubt that he had the physical talent at that time but as we have seen until recently with Stoudermire sometimes these guys forget how to use it.

What did Ottawa see in him. I dunno really. It's amazing how many chances some of these guys get

If you want to review Walkers skills re-watch the Bombers first game against the RB's last season.  No doubt that he had the physical talent at that time but as we have seen until recently with Stoudermire sometimes these guys forget how to use it.

No Walker has been the same since day one with Hamilton. He's fast. If he has a big hole to run through he's got the speed to exploit it but when the going gets tough he folds faster than superman on laundry day. Speed gets guys 9 lives in sports but if you can't do anything with that speed but run through gaping holes you're not a football player, just a track star. 

Yeah tend to agree there. Walker was never really that good, he was fast and when a hole was there, he'd take it but... when it wasn't, guy folded faster than superman on laundry day. 

I just keep seeing his one "big" play as a  bomber repeating in my head over and over and over and to me that is chevon walker to a tee. Nice little 5 yard pass to the guy, looks like he has room to cut inside and take it upfield, holes are there, guy says screw that and heads to the sidelines, what could have been a big gainer, 10 15 20 yards, there was lots of open field there if he just  cut it up field... he didn't and headed to the sidelines so he wouldn't get hit. That's Chevy Walker pretty much. 

Had no interest in Messam at the time but gave this wash out a look.....

No one had much interest in Messam when he was available.

Well Jacquie, if everyone jumped off a bridge....you get the picture. Sask got Messam for $80K...that still drives me crazy and more than a few posters here even thought signing the guy was a good idea. 80 frick'in K, Jacquie!!!!

No Walker has been the same since day one with Hamilton. He's fast. If he has a big hole to run through he's got the speed to exploit it but when the going gets tough he folds faster than superman on laundry day. Speed gets guys 9 lives in sports but if you can't do anything with that speed but run through gaping holes you're not a football player, just a track star. 

I was not impressed with Walker and wondered why Winnipeg bothered bringing him in. Interesting comment about his speed though. There is something very wrong with Bombers run game and it doesn't matter who the RB is. First, they telegraph every run. So its easy for the D to pick up. Secondly, every run play takes too long to develop. You can count steamboats while the QB is holding the ball out there waiting for the back to take the ball and then silly-walk into Picard's backside or one of the Bombers guards or the waiting arms of an opposing defender. It's been like that for the past couple of seasons. Its almost like there's no communication between the O line and backfield. And of course no play action to give pause to the D and no misdirection. Major fail. Does MOS not see this? 

Pure speculation here but from what I've heard Messam is a bit of a head-case and not good in the locker room. Uncoachable. Might be true, might not, but even if it's strictly rumor, I can hear O'Shea saying "No way does Messam come to my locker room". If that was the case, I would agree with O'Shea's decision to not bring him here.

It also strikes me that Messam is not a hard worker, not in shape, and a hot dog. He is definitely a big, talented back but I don't like the way he plays. Given the choice between Marshall and Messam I would choose Marshall. I don't like the way MB has used Marshall but that's another issue.

I'd pass on Messam at any price.

I was not impressed with Walker and wondered why Winnipeg bothered bringing him in. Interesting comment about his speed though. There is something very wrong with Bombers run game and it doesn't matter who the RB is. First, they telegraph every run. So its easy for the D to pick up. Secondly, every run play takes too long to develop. You can count steamboats while the QB is holding the ball out there waiting for the back to take the ball and then silly-walk into Picard's backside or one of the Bombers guards or the waiting arms of an opposing defender. It's been like that for the past couple of seasons. Its almost like there's no communication between the O line and backfield. And of course no play action to give pause to the D and no misdirection. Major fail. Does MOS not see this?

I honestly don't think he does see it and wouldn't know how to fix it if he did. MOS was a LB not a QB, unlike head coaches like Hufnagel and Austin. I'm sure he sees the game differently from many of us and I don't think it's a coincidence that our D is light years ahead of our O.