No End Call - CFL confirms it was an incorrect call

Floyd

By the way, I can't remember any team getting a delay of game penalty for a coach throwing a challenge flag on a non challengable play--despite it happening a lot.

Can't remember any team.... Except Doug Berry and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

There was a call either last year or two years ago that was made against the Bombers that was so obscure, that I had never heard it called before that game and I haven't heard it called since. Damn, I wish I could remember what that ridiculous call was...

We got a penalty for a message on the replay screen to make noise, yet Montreal can pipe in fake crowd noise basically till the opposing teams set for the play.

By the way, I can't remember any team getting a delay of game penalty for a coach throwing a challenge flag on a non challengable play--despite it happening a lot.

Can't remember any team.... Except Doug Berry and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Tedford threw a challenge flag after an Eskimos TD had already been reviewed and was penalized for doing so on Saturday. And it's happened a number of times - you just can't remember them because they didn't involve the Bombers.

It's possible. I just know I've seen it far more often that no penalty is called.

Officiating needs to tighten up in this league... its the worst I've seen it this year, starting to watch NFL - and I hate the NFL...

I'm watching Hockey now - will be fully vested when the season starts in less than two weeks. I agree it was a chincy call but the player was not on the line. Only issue I have with the call is the lateness of the flag. I agree with other posters here - the line judge watches the line from the sideline, and usually throws the flag right away. Only thing I can think of is he confirmed with the line judge from the other side first. i.e. he didn't want to throw a flag if a bomber receiver from the opposite end was on the line - thus negating the call. When the other sideline judge said no, he threw the flag.

No different than the Sk too many men penalty in the G.C. a few years back.

But here's how I see it, the bombers were playing the defending Grey Cup champs and now, with the loss of Collaros, the best team in the league. They hung with them all game, really fought it out. Those guys complaining about the Bombers O - hey that's a Rich Stubler Defense, and Rich knows Nichols very well. He made his adjustments and it took the bombers a while to figure out what to do. That's why they're the CHAMPS. Good on Wpg! I expected a blow out and instead was treated to a close game that had a heartbreak ending. If the bombers had played that way a few more times, it wouldn't have been a must win. It still wasn't IMO - B.C. will be slaughtered by the Eskimos today. Bombers still, have a good chance. They just gotta keep playing this way every week. If they do, they'll win their share of games. If they lay an egg last week, it's on THEM - not an official.

You're allowed to be one yard back from the line. That's in the rule book. The pictures clearly show him half a yard back, in line with the tackles (who were aT least in line with Nichols).

While I'm not convinced it's a conspiracy....it was 100% the wrong call.

Yep it is. But you know, a 'good' team will make that 49 yard field goal. Also, we have absolutely no idea what would have happened after that play if the officials let the play stand. Nichols could have been sacked twice for big yardage loss, or they could have turned the ball over. Just because they get the first down doesn't mean they win.

I like Liram, I think he'll be a star, but I just saw the guy he replaced and was out of football for TWO years come in and kick a 50 yard field last night in an Ottawa loss (Justin Palardy). 

To me, the call was irrelevant - the BOMBERS lost that game, not the officials. Liram is paid to make those kicks, he's not paid to make garbage field goals and 3 out of 4 extra points. He failed ,HE lost the game. 

Yes, I agree with you all.  The timing of the call was the worst it could possibly be for the Bombers.  I'm not happy about it all, pissed off about it just like everyone else.

I'd also still like to know why that flag was thrown after the play and after the linesmen ran in to talk to the other official. 

But I don't believe it was a conspiracy theory.  It was a horrible mistake by an official. And I hope that official is demoted and / or fired or whatever they do to punish them.  And to TUP, I hope to hell that official isn't officiating the Grey Cup.

These things will always happen because the officials are human and are going to make mistakes.  As a team you have no control over that.  The only thing you have control over is to not be in a position where it has such a profound effect on your season.  This mistake could have cost us a playoff spot.   But we put ourselves in that position to have that profound of an effect.

And it does seem we get the short end of the stick more than anyone else.

It wasn't for sure. To conspire to do harm you need to have enough brain and presence of mind to know what is required and how to execute the plan without attracting attention to the act. These guys could not conspire to order an extra pizza after the game.

To me, the call was irrelevant - the BOMBERS lost that game, not the officials. Liram is paid to make those kicks, he's not paid to make garbage field goals and 3 out of 4 extra points. He failed ,HE lost the game. 

So you would have felt comfortable giving the ball back to Calgary with a minute left needing only a single?  I wouldn't have been.  And I also would not have been too comfortable going to overtime against them.  The call killed a drive we had extended, giving us pretty much the rest of regulation time to find a way to get to the end zone.

Officiating needs to tighten up in this league... its the worst I've seen it this year, starting to watch NFL - and I hate the NFL...

I'm watching Hockey now - will be fully vested when the season starts in less than two weeks. I agree it was a chincy call but the player was not on the line. Only issue I have with the call is the lateness of the flag. I agree with other posters here - the line judge watches the line from the sideline, and usually throws the flag right away. Only thing I can think of is he confirmed with the line judge from the other side first. i.e. he didn't want to throw a flag if a bomber receiver from the opposite end was on the line - thus negating the call. When the other sideline judge said no, he threw the flag.

No different than the Sk too many men penalty in the G.C. a few years back.

But here's how I see it, the bombers were playing the defending Grey Cup champs and now, with the loss of Collaros, the best team in the league. They hung with them all game, really fought it out. Those guys complaining about the Bombers O - hey that's a Rich Stubler Defense, and Rich knows Nichols very well. He made his adjustments and it took the bombers a while to figure out what to do. That's why they're the CHAMPS. Good on Wpg! I expected a blow out and instead was treated to a close game that had a heartbreak ending. If the bombers had played that way a few more times, it wouldn't have been a must win. It still wasn't IMO - B.C. will be slaughtered by the Eskimos today. Bombers still, have a good chance. They just gotta keep playing this way every week. If they do, they'll win their share of games. If they lay an egg last week, it's on THEM - not an official.

You're allowed to be one yard back from the line. That's in the rule book. The pictures clearly show him half a yard back, in line with the tackles (who were aT least in line with Nichols).

While I'm not convinced it's a conspiracy....it was 100% the wrong call.

Yep it is. But you know, a 'good' team will make that 49 yard field goal. Also, we have absolutely no idea what would have happened after that play if the officials let the play stand. Nichols could have been sacked twice for big yardage loss, or they could have turned the ball over. Just because they get the first down doesn't mean they win.

I like Liram, I think he'll be a star, but I just saw the guy he replaced and was out of football for TWO years come in and kick a 50 yard field last night in an Ottawa loss (Justin Palardy). 

You're being a bit over-zealous here.  At best a 50 plus yd. FG is a 50/50 proposition for any kicker, especially accounting for wind variations.

man, Some people just don't get it. A bad call, is a bad call regardless... even if we were winning by 30... it's still a bad call, it's a call that the CFL said they shouldn't have made.. the score is irrelevant in situations like this, nobody is saying we lost this game because of that call.... none of the bombers even said it, they said it was a bogus call, which it was which cost us a chance to win or tie the game.. Nobody is saying it cost us the game tho.

I don't get this, you know you are pushing agendas when you completely ignore the fact that the CFL came out and said that the REF ****** up.. 

Who cares what the score was, this time it happened to be close... but even if you are winning by 30 or losing by 30... that call they made... IT WAS THE WRONG CALL. 

Man, just makes no sense really... a game of football is 60 minutes, it's not over until it's over. 

man, Some people just don't get it. A bad call, is a bad call regardless... even if we were winning by 30... it's still a bad call, it's a call that the CFL said they shouldn't have made.. the score is irrelevant in situations like this, nobody is saying we lost this game because of that call.... none of the bombers even said it, they said it was a bogus call, which it was which cost us a chance to win or tie the game.. Nobody is saying it cost us the game tho.

I don't get this, you know you are pushing agendas when you completely ignore the fact that the CFL came out and said that the REF ****** up..

Who cares what the score was, this time it happened to be close... but even if you are winning by 30 or losing by 30... that call they made... IT WAS THE WRONG CALL.

Man, just makes no sense really... a game of football is 60 minutes, it's not over until it's over.

Yeah you don't get it all teams get bad calls the refs are human remember? All our games are close if we have a chance to win.Its been how long since our last blowout? So the mistakes are magnified. This ain't rocket science here no need to be obtuse.

@BobIrvingCJOB: Glen Johnson tells CJOB Sunday sports show, ref who called bogus "no end" penalty vs bombers "forgot" that they did, in fact, have an end.

OK...everyone makes mistakes.  I'm certainly not immune to them.  However, why didn't they pick up the flag?  His memory couldn't be that bad that he couldn't remember 5 seconds later that he did indeed acknowledge Adam's position on the line.   This doesn't make sense.   

@BobIrvingCJOB: Glen Johnson tells CJOB Sunday sports show, ref who called bogus "no end" penalty vs bombers "forgot" that they did, in fact, have an end.

OK...everyone makes mistakes.  I'm certainly not immune to them.  However, why didn't they pick up the flag?  His memory couldn't be that bad that he couldn't remember 5 seconds later that he did indeed acknowledge Adam's position on the line.   This doesn't make sense.   

Agreed.  And I'd assume that Adams and/or O'Shea would have told the ref, "yes we did have an end...Darvin Adams, and you acknowledged it".  Would that not jog his memory? 

No kidding.  It's gotta be instinct for a side judge.  If you don't throw the flag on the snap, why the hell would you throw it 7 seconds later?  Can't invent penalties.  That official should not work another game this season.  Clearly not up to it.

Agreed.  And I'd assume that Adams and/or O'Shea would have told the ref, "yes we did have an end...Darvin Adams, and you acknowledged it".  Would that not jog his memory?

Or command centre could have called and said "pick it up idiots!"

OK...everyone makes mistakes. I'm certainly not immune to them. However, why didn't they pick up the flag? His memory couldn't be that bad that he couldn't remember 5 seconds later that he did indeed acknowledge Adam's position on the line. This doesn't make sense.

Agreed. And I'd assume that Adams and/or O'Shea would have told the ref, "yes we did have an end...Darvin Adams, and you acknowledged it". Would that not jog his memory?

No they couldn't and you know that.

OK...everyone makes mistakes. I'm certainly not immune to them. However, why didn't they pick up the flag? His memory couldn't be that bad that he couldn't remember 5 seconds later that he did indeed acknowledge Adam's position on the line. This doesn't make sense.

Agreed. And I'd assume that Adams and/or O'Shea would have told the ref, "yes we did have an end...Darvin Adams, and you acknowledged it". Would that not jog his memory?

Why? Why couldnt they? They all have ear buds. Johnson could have easily said "wtf you doing? Pick up flag and drop it again and say no infraction on the play". They follow along dont they?

Reffing has gone from brutal to ruining the product on the field. Hard to defend the CFL to people.

how we can have such atrocious reffing at the biggest time of cfl exposure in a decade blows my mind... we look so bush. Even our instant replay guys cant get **** right!

Our jumbotron guys have been horrible for a long long time. Horrible timing, both for when it's bad for the bombers and when it's good for the away team.

I can't tell you how many times I've screamed at the Replay guys while sitting at IGF, trying to watch their slow, horrible, abysmal attempts to show you what has gone on during a previous critical play. (They're terrific at showing coaches, benches, players adjusting their jocks, saying "Hi Mom", the Blue Brigade, and Dancing Gabe.) If they gave half the effort to replays that they do for the fan "Dance Cams", we may actually see something useful and relevant.

The CFL is losing credibility by the day. Terrible officiating, inept replay technology, QBs eaten up due to the need to have Canadian offensive linemen (for the most part...due to ratios), poor execution by players, ( Oh....so THAT'S why you got cut from the NFL!)  excessive or phantom penalties  etc. And if that wasn't enough, you are occasionally tormented by TSN's masterful decision to ruin your TV watching experience by having Rod Black stumble through yet another CFL matchup.

I find it ironic that the Bombers may have lost the game due to a "No End" phantom call. Their problems have "No End", So perhaps the result is fitting and appropriate , 

I continue to be amazed at how we get outcoached game after game and I marvel at their ability to find new and innovative ways to lose football games.

Then again, I'll have to review the films to be sure about that.

Reffing has gone from brutal to ruining the product on the field. Hard to defend the CFL to people.

how we can have such atrocious reffing at the biggest time of cfl exposure in a decade blows my mind... we look so bush. Even our instant replay guys cant get **** right!

Our jumbotron guys have been horrible for a long long time. Horrible timing, both for when it's bad for the bombers and when it's good for the away team.

I can't tell you how many times I've screamed at the Replay guys while sitting at IGF, trying to watch their slow, horrible, abysmal attempts to show you what has gone on during a previous critical play. (They're terrific at showing coaches, benches, players adjusting their jocks, saying "Hi Mom", the Blue Brigade, and Dancing Gabe.) If they gave half the effort to replays that they do for the fan "Dance Cams", we may actually see something useful and relevant.

The CFL is losing credibility by the day. Terrible officiating, inept replay technology, QBs eaten up due to the need to have Canadian offensive linemen (for the most part...due to ratios), poor execution by players, ( Oh....so THAT'S why you got cut from the NFL!)  excessive or phantom penalties  etc. And if that wasn't enough, you are occasionally tormented by TSN's masterful decision to ruin your TV watching experience by having Rod Black stumble through yet another CFL matchup.

I find it ironic that the Bombers may have lost the game due to a "No End" phantom call. Their problems have "No End", So perhaps the result is fitting and appropriate , 

I continue to be amazed at how we get outcoached game after game and I marvel at their ability to find new and innovative ways to lose football games.

Then again, I'll have to review the films to be sure about that.

This is real progress, BombedOut. You have explored the source of your angst and brought it in to the light. Very good. But I'm afraid our time is up for today. Please see the receptionist on your way out and she'll give you your receipt. We'll see you again the same time next week. Bye for now.   :)

Why? Why couldnt they? They all have ear buds. Johnson could have easily said "wtf you doing? Pick up flag and drop it again and say no infraction on the play". They follow along dont they?

Illegal procedure is a non-reviewable play so the Command Centre can't get involved. 

No one can order an official to pick up a flag. There was that game in 2011 between Montreal and the Bombers were an official threw a flag for defensive pass interference in the end zone against the Als. It was a terrible call and should have actually been offensive pass interference against Greg Carr. The officials huddled and tried to get the official who threw the flag to pick it up but he refused. He was fired shortly thereafter because of that call. 

Illegal procedure is a non-reviewable play so the Command Centre can't get involved. 

No one can order an official to pick up a flag. There was that game in 2011 between Montreal and the Bombers were an official threw a flag for defensive pass interference in the end zone against the Als. It was a terrible call and should have actually been offensive pass interference against Greg Carr. The officials huddled and tried to get the official who threw the flag to pick it up but he refused. He was fired shortly thereafter because of that call.

No.. I get that. What i meant is that the command centre is watching live. They must see things close to real time.. If they see a potentially game altering mistake by the officiating crew, wouldnt it be prudent to allow them to stop the error? Why wont they allow a situation like that to help fix these dumb mistakes...