Taking a realistic look at the Bombers record in the last 24 seasons

IC Khari

Everyone (including me) complains about what a perennial loser this organization has been since our last Grey Cup win in 1990. While 24 going on 25 years without a Grey Cup championship can taint a fan's rational/thinking process, what does the actual record say? Let's look at the team's records since 1991 and see if we are as bad as many believe we are/have been:

Bomber Regular Season CFL Record

1991  9–9

1992 11–7

1993 14–4

1994 13–5

1995  7–11

1996  9–9

1997  4–14

1998  3–15

1999  6–12

2000  7–10–1

2001 14–4

2002 12–6

2003 11–7

2004  7–11

2005  5–13

2006  9–9

2007 10–7–1

2008  8–10

2009  7–11

2010  4–14

2011 10–8

2012  6–12

2013  3–15

2014  7–11

2015  3–7

So a total record of 10 times .500 or better, 13 (not counting this season) under .500. Not the greatest but certainly not as dismal as we often portray it. In these past 24 seasons, the Bombers have participated in 5 Grey Cups (1992, 1993, 2001, 2007, 2011). Also not a terrible record. The issue of course is the 5 Grey Cup losses. For various reasons we have seemed to be snake bit in that regard but one could argue at least three of those losses could have been wins if you factor in season ending injuries to Matt Dunigan in 93, Kevin Glenn in 07 and a big letdown in the 2001 game. The losses against the Stamps in 92 and 2011 seemed to be justified as both of those teams were superior to the Bomber squad IMO. Overall since 1991 it looks like the Bombers have not been world beaters but also it looks like with a little luck we may have had an opportunity for a few more Cups and considerably less angst among us fans. Maybe this is too simplistic or an answer that some don't want to hear but I think we need to keep the faith Bomber fans. Yes it looks bad (low point) ;) right now but I've been a fan of this team and this league long enough to know it can change and quickly. Not saying I like the way the current administration is doing everything or that there won't be another overhaul in a year or so, but at some point I still believe this team will get back to it's winning ways. Hopefully it starts this weekend!

This is the worst part...  after the late nineties debacle, it felt like we had righted the ship in the 2000s - then Bauer blew everything up for no reason...

No fan of Berry but can you imagine if we ever found a coach that went 9-9, 10-7-1 and then 8-10...  we'd be hailing him as the next Bud Grant.

The problem right now is really that Lyle Bauer was too egotistical. If he'd left Ritchie alone he'd have fixed things in 04, instead we got Jim Daley. If they'd given Berry more time it likely never gets as bad as it did, but Bauer had to get his buddy Mike Kelly a job and that just set things back years. Then we get some bad coaching hires after Kelly and the time to rebuild isn't given and we start fresh again. This is why even though I am not the biggest believer in Kyle Walters I am not in favour of firing yet another GM. Give him some time to build a more stable base before we blow it all up again.

It all goes back to how they handled the Cal Murphy situation. Most teams with a track record success they had would have had a successor from within to take over the GM role and continue the success they had. But they gave the whole thing to Reinbold and its never been the same.

Many reasons for it, but all I know is that in the last 7 years we've only had 1 season above .500 (8 if you want to count this season. We would need to go 6 - 2 to hit .500 this year, 7 - 1 to be above it).

That is a lot of bad football and there is little confidence that there is an end in sight.  Looking to hit a decade of mediocrity.  No wonder this fan base is getting apathetic.  Can only get your heart pulled out and stomped on so many times before you stop putting your heart out there.

It all goes back to how they handled the Cal Murphy situation. Most teams with a track record success they had would have had a successor from within to take over the GM role and continue the success they had. But they gave the whole thing to Reinbold and its never been the same.

That's as much Cal's fault as anyones...  He needed to step back a bit after Riley left - Urban Bowman could have been a very good coach but it was Cal's team - there was no plan after that...

2004  7–11

2005  5–13

2006  9–9

2007 10–7–1

2008  8–10

2009  7–11

2010  4–14

2011 10–8

2012  6–12

2013  3–15

2014  7–11

2015  3–7

You know what.. It doesn't bother me that we haven't won a Grey Cup in twenty four years, what bothers me is that we havent even been remotely competitive in the past eleven seasons. We've had two winning seasons in those eleven years, and in those two winning seasons we had 10 wins. a 10 win football club is an average team in my eyes and we've barely even hit that level of mediocrity.  

There was no succession plan after a Cal, as good of a coach as he was he was a dictator. Urban would have been a good coach...but it was Cal's team and was going to remain that way. The BoD said it was time for him to go and then took it upon themselves to hire after that. We felt the pain of that.

People then talk about the Ritchie firing....people didn't know that Ritchie had some significant health issues at that time. It was recommended that he step down for his own health and well being. Unfortunately he was too stubborn and refused. The decision was made to relieve him and continue to pay him for his own good.

2004  7–11

2005  5–13

2006  9–9

2007 10–7–1

2008  8–10

2009  7–11

2010  4–14

2011 10–8

2012  6–12

2013  3–15

2014  7–11

2015  3–7

You know what.. It doesn't bother me that we haven't won a Grey Cup in twenty four years, what bothers me is that we havent even been remotely competitive in the past eleven seasons. We've had two winning seasons in those eleven years, and in those two winning seasons we had 10 wins. a 10 win football club is an average team in my eyes and we've barely even hit that level of mediocrity.  

Bothers me.

2004  7–11

2005  5–13

2006  9–9

2007 10–7–1

2008  8–10

2009  7–11

2010  4–14

2011 10–8

2012  6–12

2013  3–15

2014  7–11

2015  3–7

This.

This is why the next generation of fans are apathetic to the Bombers and see them as losers.  No one under the age of 20 can realistically ever remember a Bomber team that has won more than 10 games in a season... which is at best mediocre like you said

Going to be hard to just carry on like nothing is wrong if we are 3-15 or 4-14 at the end of the season. May not be much of a blow up as there's not much there to begin with.

There is nothing there because they keep firing everyone every couple years. These guys may not be the ideal people, but give them a chance to try and build things up a bit before we make that move. Fire them all now and it's right back to square one with no qbs no scouting department and no decent canadian talent on the team prolonging the misery even further. You don't want to hear it but patience is needed now more than ever. 

Going to be hard to just carry on like nothing is wrong if we are 3-15 or 4-14 at the end of the season. May not be much of a blow up as there's not much there to begin with.

You don't want to hear it but patience is needed now more than ever. 

Oh, I hear you...but that particular phrasing is giving me multiple flashbacks...

You don't want to hear it but patience is needed now more than ever. 

Oh, I hear you...but that particular phrasing is giving me multiple flashbacks...

but we haven't been patient at all. Weren't patient with Reinbold which makes sense, weren't patient with Richie or Daley or Berry or Kelly or Mack or anyone. For too long it's been about winning a Grey Cup right ******* now. If only they'd won that 01 game, a lot of grief would have been saved. 

If MOS goes 7-11 last year & say 5-13 this season how can the team sell patience? The record means that in 2 seasons there's been no improvement whatever. If Miller thinks he can stand pat with this group managing, scouting & coaching the team then he's in a dream world as fans won't buy it. There'll be 15,000 fans at IGF next season & it'll be a disaster. I understand what you're saying 17 to 85  but the team can't realistically stand pat if that happens. Futility means changes. The more futility the more there are changes. That's the nature of the beast here.

If MOS goes 7-11 last year & say 5-13 this season how can the team sell patience? The record means that in 2 seasons there's been no improvement whatever. If Miller thinks he can stand pat with this group managing, scouting & coaching the team then he's in a dream world as fans won't buy it. There'll be 15,000 fans at IGF next season & it'll be a disaster. I understand what you're saying 17 to 85  but the team can't realistically stand pat if that happens. Futility means changes. The more futility the more there are changes. That's the nature of the beast here.

So we make a bunch of changes and when they still suck because they don't have the proper base in place do we fire everyone in 2 more years and keep repeating the cycle? If you think that's a good idea then you really don't see what I'm saying at all. Be patient and give these guys a proper chance. Yeah it's hard, yeah it's frustrating, yeah it sucks, but patience is the key here. 

So we make a bunch of changes and when they still suck because they don't have the proper base in place do we fire everyone in 2 more years and keep repeating the cycle? If you think that's a good idea then you really don't see what I'm saying at all. Be patient and give these guys a proper chance. Yeah it's hard, yeah it's frustrating, yeah it sucks, but patience is the key here. 

Say we  have 26,000 hard core  fans who care about the team & the majority of those fans are angry & now feeling disengaged. The majority want changes (which I think most will)... you'll be in the minority. Your points may be valid but won't be listened to so there will be changes. BTW I do think your points are valid.

Folks who want to keep O'Shea on if he doesn't make the playoffs this year don't seem to understand the lessons that history teaches us.

The list of rookie HC's who didn't make the playoffs in their first 2 years who didn't get fired has to be very small. 

The list of rookie HC's who didn't make the playoffs in their first 2 years and then went on to become good to great HC's is equally short. 

I'm not going to go through all the HC's in the last 20 years for all the teams, but I can tell you that the first and the second list contain exactly zero members when it comes to Bomber HC's in the last 20 years. Maybe someone who thinks we should keep O'Shea can go through the rest of the league and let me know if either group has ever happened in the CFL in the last 20 or so years.