Marve on 6 game IR

Mr. Perfect

Marve. Leg injury. Who'da thunk? It might explain why Marve's throws were so errant- hard to throw when you can't plant your feet

Except for the fact his throws have always been errant, as evidenced by his low completion percentage whenever he's seen game action.

60% completion percentage is fairly good for a rookie QB I would say my only complaint is not enough deep balls and when they did Marve's missed all of the longer throws his short throws where on the money ( except for the INTs )

Context is important.  Average gain was less than 4 yards.  10 first downs.  60% completion percentage is truly lipstick on a 800 lb hog.

Gonna be honest. Personally I don't care what marves injury is. He really sucked bad the last game and second half vs Toronto so really... I just don't care. Leg. Brain. Whatever. In my opinion he's done.

You're ready to write Marve off after one start?  In a thread earlier this week it was noted that Glenn took three years to develop before he showed positive results, same goes for Durant, Reilly and Burris.

Gonna be honest. Personally I don't care what marves injury is. He really sucked bad the last game and second half vs Toronto so really... I just don't care. Leg. Brain. Whatever. In my opinion he's done.

You're ready to write Marve off after one start?  In a thread earlier this week it was noted that Glenn took three years to develop before he showed positive results, same goes for Durant, Reilly and Burris.

Basically yes as there are better qbs out there we can bring in than Marve. Burris spent his first year in 1997 on the Stamps PR. In 1998 he saw limited time appearing in his first game. In 1999 he got his first few starts, led the Stamps to 2 victories & looked good before being injured with a torn ACL in August that year & missing the rest of that season. Hank put up much better numbers than Marve his first start. And he showed he had a strong arm, athletic ability & accuracy. Something Marve can't do.

I'm not sure how many of you watched Anthony Calvillo's early CFL career.  But he was brutal for a few years and I was surprised that he stayed employed in the league during that time.  And then all of a sudden the light went off and he was the future Hall of Famer.   

My point is that if AC played for the WBB's.  We'd be having the same discussion and many would say he sucks and should be cut.   I'm not comparing Marve to AC but I think some of you might be jumping the gun and dumping on him before he's had a chance to prove himself either way. 

Here we go with the "Anthony Calvillo" nugget about how he took years to develop. For every AC there are a hundred QBs that legitimately wash out of this league. Not all can be coddled and brought along for years waiting for them to emerge. The reason AC, and I watched his early career, lasted as long as he did was because his fundamentals were off the charts. He just struggled making his reads early in his career. Completely different story, from Marve, who has many fundamental problems with his game.

Calvillo wasn't nearly as brutal as guys like Marve and Marsh have been. He played on some really bad teams and was extremely young, 21 as a rookie with Las Vegas. He had a bunch of big games, clearly showing potential. His problem in his young career was consistency and injuries, not an inability to complete a pass longer than 7 yards.

Basically yes as there are better qbs out there we can bring in than Marve. Burris spent his first year in 1997 on the Stamps PR. In 1998 he saw limited time appearing in his first game. In 1999 he got his first few starts, led the Stamps to 2 victories & looked good before being injured with a torn ACL in August that year & missing the rest of that season. Hank put up much better numbers than Marve his first start. And he showed he had a strong arm, athletic ability & accuracy. Something Marve can't do.

What people aren't understanding is that a QB must have the fundamentals to play the game at the pro level. Just because some QBs took years to develop, it wasn't because of their fundamentals. They were working on their understanding of the game and ability to manage it. Durant, Reilly, Burris, Glenn, Calvillo all have one thing in common. A good accurate arm with a quick release. This is why they rose to the top. In pro sports you can't teach a player how to throw. He either knows that by now, or he's gone. Marve struggles with his accuracy, and he is a fundamentally poor thrower of the ball.

What people aren't understanding is that a QB must have the fundamentals to play the game at the pro level. Just because some QBs took years to develop, it wasn't because of their fundamentals. They were working on their understanding of the game and ability to manage it. Durant, Reilly, Burris, Glenn, Calvillo all have one thing in common. A good accurate arm with a quick release. This is why they rose to the top. In pro sports you can't teach a player how to throw. He either knows that by now, or he's gone. Marve struggles with his accuracy, and he is a fundamentally poor thrower of the ball.

Might want to recalibrate your sights.  They're set awfully low.

I'm not sure how many of you watched Anthony Calvillo's early CFL career.  But he was brutal for a few years and I was surprised that he stayed employed in the league during that time.  And then all of a sudden the light went off and he was the future Hall of Famer.   

My point is that if AC played for the WBB's.  We'd be having the same discussion and many would say he sucks and should be cut.   I'm not comparing Marve to AC but I think some of you might be jumping the gun and dumping on him before he's had a chance to prove himself either way. 

Yup, he spent four years iirc behind Hamm before he started to play like a starter and them Trestman put him over the top.

FFS, you and I don't have a hot clue what that means, if we did be scouting down south.

Yup, he spent four years iirc behind Hamm before he started to play like a starter and them Trestman put him over the top.

He spent 5 years with Don Matthews as coach before Trestman took over.  No doubt he had huge success with Trestman, but he was already a super star and Grey Cup champion when Trestman came in.

He spent 5 years with Don Matthews as coach before Trestman took over.  No doubt he had huge success with Trestman, but he was already a super star and Grey Cup champion when Trestman came in.

Thanks for filling in the blanks Rich. I just remember him before he became the starter for the Als and the transformation in his game was night and day. He did have a horrible GC record before Trestman though, something like 1 - 5 and was basically labeled a choker. Then Bellfool got hold of him and almost killed him and ended his career. He was set to retire until Trestman took over and basically pulled him together and rid him of the chocker label.

Not even close.  AC came in to the league as a 22 year old - extremely young and pliable.  He actually showed something in his time in hamilton and Las Vegas.  He was never as bad as Brohm (30 years old and will not get significantly better) or Marve (27 and might have a little bit of upside).  Given his age Marve has much less chance for improvement.  At the same age, Calvillo was already proving himself as a good starter in Montreal.

Again all of those Qbs had shown something by the time they reached Marve's age.  Marve might improve, just don't expect some amazing progress in his abilities given his age. 

I'm not sure how many of you watched Anthony Calvillo's early CFL career. But he was brutal for a few years and I was surprised that he stayed employed in the league during that time. And then all of a sudden the light went off and he was the future Hall of Famer.

My point is that if AC played for the WBB's. We'd be having the same discussion and many would say he sucks and should be cut. I'm not comparing Marve to AC but I think some of you might be jumping the gun and dumping on him before he's had a chance to prove himself either way.

He spent 5 years with Don Matthews as coach before Trestman took over. No doubt he had huge success with Trestman, but he was already a super star and Grey Cup champion when Trestman came in.

Thanks for filling in the blanks Rich. I just remember him before he became the starter for the Als and the transformation in his game was night and day. He did have a horrible GC record before Trestman though, something like 1 - 5 and was basically labeled a choker. Then Bellfool got hold of him and almost killed him and ended his career. He was set to retire until Trestman took over and basically pulled him together and rid him of the chocker label.

The last point cannot be overstated. Calvillo looked like his career was over after the '07 season. This was due to all the hits he took in an MB offence. Trestman went with more quick hitters and max protect packages.

You can bet your last dollar that ain't going to happen in Winnipeg.

The point is that those guys hardly played as they were "developing." When they got the chance to play, they showed that they had a base of ability to build from, even if they did struggle. Marve did the opposite.

he showed he can freelance a bit.. definitely not enough to think he could ever be a lulay in his prime or collaros yup. all show and no go..