3-4

Floyd

I don't really know anything about defenses and the pros and cons of it.

I read an article yesterday about Chip Kelly and the Eagles preferring a 3-4 defense primarily to stop the run and make their opponents a one-dimension (pass) team. I know this is NFL.

Can any people with know-how, expand on the pros and cons of a 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. Thank you.

in all honesty i see no pro's and cons to be honest as both are effective in stopping the run, just depends on the schemes used, the talent to run the schemes and the in game situations and adjustments.

I prefer a 3-4 or a hybrid version of it actually as a base defence because it has more variation and you can hide where pressure comes from more successfully and change the areas of pressure so it's harder for the o-line to make their calls, that is if it is run properly.

Most teams now already kind of run variations of a 3-4 anyway, just not the typical 80's and 90's set of 3 down lineman and 4 defined "linebackers"

Darrin Bauming @DarrinBauming

#Bombers defence working in a 3-4 set with Jasper Simmons and Sam Hurl at inside linebacker. Bass and Randle outside.

I like this - now we just need to substitute Wild for Hurl.

Sask will throw Messam at us as much as they can, we need to stop it early and hard.

Messam is averaging less than 8 carries per game.

My guess is because of his conditioning, that's why I said as much as they can. My other guess is that number goes up if they show any success with Messam this weekend. 

He's only hit 10 carries in 4 games since he joined the Riders, one was the first game in Winnipeg last season.  

I think the Bombers will be fine against the run.  The Riders OL is really banged up too.

Appreciate your point about their banged up OL but current stats I checked on the CFL official site might suggest otherwise.

We're eighth in defending against the run and Sask is first in offensive run yards per game. (unless I read it wrong which I wouldn't put past me)

Anderson has been a disappointment  for me this year i expected more from him. I do know if he is still bothered by last years injury but his play has been below average this year.

What do you honestly expect from him though? Lots of sacks and tackles for a loss? Seems to me he's sort of taking the role of big strong guy trying to make room for others in the defence this year. That's not a position that generally gets yourself covered in glory. 

Anderson has been a disappointment  for me this year i expected more from him. I do know if he is still bothered by last years injury but his play has been below average this year.

What do you honestly expect from him though? Lots of sacks and tackles for a loss? Seems to me he's sort of taking the role of big strong guy trying to make room for others in the defence this year. That's not a position that generally gets yourself covered in glory. 

I expect push up the middle from a defensive tackle , disrupt the play ,shed block , make a tackle once in a while, keep OL off the LB.  He's just not doing that this year.

Agreed not much glory but his play has dropped off from the past 2 years, and Turner's play is even worse 3 tackles and 1 sack isn't very impressive....

The  problem with keeping O'Shea as a head coach is that he was responsible for hiring lousy assistant coaches and had to be at least partially responsible for thinking that Brohm,and  Marve were good enough to step in if Willy went down.

How can we trust that his judgement is going to miraculously improve?

The  problem with keeping O'Shea as a head coach is that he was responsible for hiring lousy assistant coaches and had to be at least partially responsible for thinking that Brohm,and  Marve were good enough to step in if Willy went down.

How can we trust that his judgement is going to miraculously improve?

Unlike Hufnagel and Austin, O'Shea is not and never has been an offense guy. His experience is strictly defense and ST. He has to rely on Marcel Bellefeuille and that is the whole problem with our offense. MB owns this disaster. O'Shea needs to replace him ASAP. If he doesn't, he goes too.

Darrin Bauming @DarrinBauming

#Bombers defence working in a 3-4 set with Jasper Simmons and Sam Hurl at inside linebacker. Bass and Randle outside.

I like this - now we just need to substitute Wild for Hurl.

Sask will throw Messam at us as much as they can, we need to stop it early and hard.

Messam is averaging less than 8 carries per game.

My guess is because of his conditioning, that's why I said as much as they can. My other guess is that number goes up if they show any success with Messam this weekend. 

He's only hit 10 carries in 4 games since he joined the Riders, one was the first game in Winnipeg last season.  

I think the Bombers will be fine against the run.  The Riders OL is really banged up too.

Appreciate your point about their banged up OL but current stats I checked on the CFL official site might suggest otherwise.

We're eighth in defending against the run and Sask is first in offensive run yards per game. (unless I read it wrong which I wouldn't put past me)

Clark and Labatte both left the last game, hence the 10 sacks.  Haven't really read any Regina media so not sure if they are playing this week or not.

Without C.C. as coach....who seemed to be trying to prove something or other by practically ignoring Messam lately......expect the Riders to try and pound the ball down our throats.....

I don't put that on CC.  Look at Chapdelaine's past work as an OC and he always neglects the running backs.  I remember Andrew Harris was rumoured to be pissed off about it a couple years back.

Why would we make a whole sale change to our D like this when its been improving and leave the offense alone? I Dont think we have a nose tackle, and between that and the alignment it could take our one good pass rusher out of the back field.

Why would you think we have no one capable of playing Nose?