A Comprehensive Review of Kyle Walters

AKAChip

This is likely going to be a long post but I've been thinking about doing this for a long time. I will preface this by saying I have never been a fan of Walter's work. I think because public sentiment had soured on Mack to the degree that anyone would have been seen as a massive improvement. I will also admit that I have always had a soft spot for Joe Mack and thought while he failed in getting us a QB, his team did bring us to a Grey Cup with Buck freaking Pierce at the helm. I will divide this into three sections; import recruiting, free agency and drafting. I recognize that some of the failures of Walters are also failures of McManus and Goveia so consider the import recruiting section to be a criticism of all three.

Import Recruiting:

Walters was hired in August of 2013 as the interim GM to replace the fired Joe Mack. That offseason, the search was on for a permanent GM that included Walters, Duane Forde for some reason and Tom Higgins. I am confident that none of those three headliners would have been good options but that's a story for another time. So if we take into account that Walters has been in charge for more than two calendar years, the following are the players he has brought in with no previous CFL experience that are currently making an impact on the team: Justin Veltung, Jace Daniels, Khalil Bass, Johnny Adams, Bruce Johnson, Moe Leggett & Cam Marshall. I will admit there are some good players on that list but considering that he has had two full training camps and offseasons to build the talent on the roster and to only have 7 of your own recruits become regular CFL players? Joe Mack, fired over two years ago, still has Washington, Turner, Anderson and Denmark on the roster of CFL rookies he brought in himself. Considering the lifecycle of professional football players to have only a 7-4 advantage in import recruits at this stage is pretty terrible. Let's also not forget, arguably our best defender last year was Ian Wild, another Mack guy.

To move onto the QBs for a moment, this was something I will agree that Mack had limited to no success with. However, while I will get to Willy in a moment, Walters has failed equally if not more in bringing in his own QB prospects. Say what you will about Brink, Elliott and Goltz but are any of them worse than Brohm, Marve or Portis? Having a marquee starting QB doesn't mean you can fail at finding a developmental or adequate backup QB. We are fully aware at this point what that failure leads to. Franklin, Cato, Collaros even Brett Smith are first year CFL quarterbacks who have at the very least shown they can move the ball. The bomber are stuck with Brohm, a 30 year old journeyman who has yet to show he can even make a 5 yard completion consistently and Robert Marve, a scrambler with no accuracy to speak of.

Running back has been a position that in the past has been a boon for the Bombers. Even going back 15 years, Roberts to Reid to Garrett to Simpson. I'm not saying Marshall and Cotton aren't good players as they are fine and injuries have certainly hampered our ability to fully evaluate Cotton but here's another issue. Walters didn't even find Cotton! He was originally cut in Hamilton's TC and then brought here. Not to say you can't find good players that way as Vega was brought in by Mack in a similar manner but it just continues to contribute to the idea that Walters struggles to bring in his own recruited talent. RB isn't even a sore spot for this team without decimating injuries but bringing in Chevon Walker tells me all I need to know about Walters' confidence in his ability. 

One of the two biggest sore spots for me when it comes to Walters is Receiver. Yes, Veltung looks like a solid enough prospect but to have only one Import recruit to speak of after two years of trying is a complete and utter embarrassment. Toronto brought in three contributing rookies this year. Hamilton has brought in Underwood and Tolliver. Calgary brought in Rogers last year. The list goes on and on and on. Denmark, Moore and Adams are fine players but none are the best at their position to the point where competition should not be pushing them. Jhomo Gordon was the best of what we brought in in the offseason according to the coaching staff this year and he's been a mess in three games played. The fact that last year we not only brought in Romby Bryant (a complete joke and truthfully the biggest red flag last year of Walters' incompetence) but also started him for over half the year is something that would not go over on any other team in the league save for Taman's Riders. Also keep in mind that no one could displace Aaron Kelly from Walters' recruits either. Joe Mack brought in Matthews, Denmark, Wallace Miles, Greg Carr and TJH. All players that made an impact at the CFL level and shames the talent that Walters has brought in.

I'll lastly look at the defensive line. Up until this year, Turner and Anderson were guys that we really had no reason to replace but that's also another check by Joe Mack's name as they were his recruits. Meanwhile, while Nate Collins looks like a player, the rest of the linemen he has brought in have been a who's who of nobodies. The fact that no one has displaced Greg Peach in two years and the guy who has shown the most of the other imports, Thad Gibson, was not even a Walters find! Fraser, Willie Mosely, Marvin Booker, Tre Harlan and so on have all failed to make an impact while guys like Alex Bazzie, Gabe Knapton, Willie Jefferson, Tristan Okpalaugo, and Bryan Hall have all come into the league over the past couple seasons and have been great for their teams.

Free Agency:

Over two offseasons and seasons, the Bombers have brought in the following players; Graig Newman, Nick Moore, Darvin Adams, Stanley Bryant, Ivan Brown, Sam Hurl, Romby Bryant, EJ Kuale, Greg Peach, Aaron Kelly and Dom Picard. I will be generous by saying 5 of those players are hits (including Hurl) while admitting that Ivan Brown is who he is and his was hardly a make or break signing. That being said, Moore and Bryant are the best of the Import lot there are Bryant has not had a great season by any stretch and Moore has been solid, if unspectacular and frequently injured. I'll admit I was never a Moore fan and thought we paid too much for him, but that's the price of not bringing in Import receiver talent I guess. On the other hand, Mack was universally panned for standing pat during free agency and preferring to build with his own guys. Sometimes that worked, sometimes it didn't but looking at that list of players brought in via free agency by Walters, would any of you say that had they all not been signed we would be missing out? Truthfully, I didn't have a category to put Westerman and Hajrullahu in they were of course likely Walters' two shining moments as GM of this team but again, this was a case of signing a kicker off the street and giving him a chance when pretty much every other team was set at kicker and throwing money and a starting spot at Westerman. He deserves credit for landing them both but it doesn't change much. Let's also remember that Walters traded for a 35 year old Korey Banks as an attempt to solidfy the linebacking corps. I will also put the trade for Randle down here and again, another solid move by Walters that I really can't criticize in any manner. Randle, Westerman and Hajrullahu are three difference makers on the roster and all three are Walters' moves. Good for him.

This brings us to the situation of Drew Willy. Last offseason, the QBs available were Willy, Collaros and Burris as everyone remembers. Ottawa had the freshly drafted Glenn as their QB but badly wanted Burris for some insane reason once he became available. Collaros was always seen as the best QB on the market followed by Willy. Despite Collaros' success in Hamilton, I am still happy and content with Willy as our man. The problem is, there was almost no way that the Bombers were going to end up without one of the two. Burris was going to Ottawa and the scary part was, the Bombers were making a push for him! Can't imagine Joe Mack ever doing that. In the end, Walters made the trade with the Riders for Willy's rights that Mack didn't make with BC for Mike Reilly's. I'd argue that the price Taman wanted for Willy (Etienne) was pittance compared to Wally's price for Reilly (A first rounder without the right to speak to Reilly beforehand iirc). I obviously can't prove this but put Mack in the GM chair last offseason and you likely get the same result. Collaros to Hamilton, Burris to Ottawa and Willy to Winnipeg. Other than Montreal, who was more than happy to enter the season with Troy Smith, no other team needed a QB. Collaros and Willy were both going to hit the market no matter what and Ottawa wanted a veteran QB to lead them through their first season. I guess Walters should get credit for getting the job done, but I find it difficult to give him a ton of credit. Especially considering Collaros at this point is clearly the superior QB anyway.

The Draft:

This is where I think Walters actually deserves the most criticism. Mostly because he was never touted as a great American scout with a ton of connections down south, but rather a cerebral CIS guy who could be trusted at draft time. Before we get to Walters' drafts as GM, I want to go back to the 2013 draft, Mack's last as GM of the Bombers. The story was that when Mack was going to pick Mulumba, Walters was convinced Edem was the better pick. After Mulumba stuck in the NFL and Edem had a decent to good rookie year with the Als, everyone was lauding Walters' genius. In the years since, Edem has lost his job to Marco Brouillette and has failed to come close to his rookie season's productivity. Mulumba is still in the NFL but this has been touched on before, I still would rather have a guy like him in the pipeline that Edem who at this point it's known what he brings and it's special teams work for the last few years.

The 2014 draft was a weak one and I love the Derek Jones pick while Briggs looks solid enough. Goossen was picking based on need which I hate, but we can't close the door on him yet and save for Pruneau, no one selected after pick two is anyone I feel we really missed out on. I have no negative things to say about this draft so good job Walters.

2015 is where things went off the rails. I love the Chungh pick but people loved the Muamba pick too. It was a need and we picked the best player available. That's what a GM should do. The next rounds were colossal let downs and as bad as anything Mack ever did (Robertson in the 2nd round was just as bad). Richards and Morgan may turn out to be good players but passing on Durant, SML, Waud, Shortill or even Brett Boyko will be mistakes that we will feel for years to come.

Conclusion:

Since he was hired in August 2013, the Bombers are 12-27. This is not all on Kyle Walters but despite some great moves (Westerman, Randle, Chungh, Hajrullahu) the bad ones and the REALLY bad ones greatly outweigh those positives. I know most of you probably know or remember all this stuff but now with Taman out of the picture in Regina, Walters is the clear bottom of the CFL GM barrel.

Fantastic post and great followup remarks. Thanks.

Most of mack's starters were taman and Kelly finds... It takes a while - this team won't truly be Walters until midway next season

I do think Walters has been to 'nice' and brought in guys that his coaches have asked for

Hard to tell need one more camp, one more draft - if Waggoner starts next year then it's kylegenius if not its sleepy Walt

he wasn't good at any point and Darvin Adams is a better option. Kelly had no business being on the roster at all. Stop trying to make like he was good. He wasn't even better than Romby Bryant. 

A. Kelly helped us win the First game vs Toronto with 2 TDs I don;t think another Bomber REC had 2 TDs in a game all last year, he also helped us win vs HAM with a critical catch on the winning drive and a very strong game so in our first 3 games he was important in 2 wins, he also has another very good game in another win ( don't remember the details ) A. Kelly also had more TDs than Denmark (4) Moore (0) and Byrant (0) combined with 6 I know that isn't many but it was tops on the team last year. And I am not saying he was great just saying he was better than you are giving him credit for...And I have no problem that he is gone because I realize his problem was a lack of speed and he was too light and got pushed around... Adams is a much better Receiver yes I agree with that but Kelly helped us last year and we miss having a big REC this year. J. Gordon is garbage ( at least so far ) and Veltung is a good returner and fillin but he is not a top REC...

So again until you have someone better you shouldn't just cut someone because they dared to speak back to the coaches....

So Walters has failed to find a big target the Bombers said they wanted to find, however I am not sure I trust that Marcel B. would know a good rec vs bad based on his opinion of Brohm being a CFL QB...

I think one point that a lot have missed is the point that Rich mentioned, that Ken Moll indicated that scouting typically takes a couple years for your finds and picks to work out.  Re-designing our entire scouting setup including staff meant starting for the most part from scratch.  That and it is true that Walters doesn't have as many US contacts which he needs to build up.  It doesn't make him a poor GM, it makes him an inexperienced GM.  These are two different things, I think for the time that he has been a GM in the CFL he has done a good job.  He has made some mistakes, but he has made some great moves.  He needs to build out his US contacts, and that will take time.  The scouting system isn't going to pay off for us immediately either.

Everyone is using examples of other teams bringing in tons of talent this year, but again that is because of talent they've been scouting out in previous years to line up and get this year, no other team besides Ottawa has had to rebuild their entire scouting system.  I believe in Ottawa the GM wasn't as inexperienced either so he probably already had more contacts built up. 

I'm still willing to give Walters some time, I do believe he needs to step in when it comes to our OC if Mike O'Shea isn't able to recognize the issue.  I believe he did a good job with O'Shea and that O'Shea does make it so more players want to play for us.  This is a positive thing as we want Winnipeg to become that place that players want to be.  We just need to fix up our Offensive Coordinator and get a couple more pieces offensively. 

Perhaps I just don't want to see us clean house again and start from scratch all over again, we just aren't in the position to do it successfully since we seem to constantly be cleaning house. 

Hurl as a starting MLB should not be considered a "hit".  He is awfull.

Here is a list of all of the players on Defence that have more tackles than him:

LB Bass (48)

DB Johnson (34)

DB/LB Randle (33)

DE Westerman (32)

DB Washington (32)

Hurl is tied with Adams for 6th on the team with 28.  That's an average of 3 per game.  For a middle linebacer, that's not good. He is constantly over-running the play or he is just lost in space. He should not be starting.

Honestly, Hurl wasn't good for the first game or 2 but he's been better recently, I think peoples expectations for him are too high, he's not the bighill or elomimian type, he's not the henoc type, If you actually watch him on the field, he's generally rushing the QB, It's how Hall is using him, he's not using him as what people would think of as your protypial MLB, he's using him more as a cowboy i suppose, a rover really, he's being used differently than how other MLB's are used, It's more scheme there, I don't think he's been that bad the last couple weeks. I'm honestly finding it hard to criticize the D when the O is last in the league in basically every category. 

I don't think using tackles is fair here... it's just a stat really. I'm not saying HURL is all world or anything but he's definitely not as bad as some people are making him out to be. He has a role and his role is different than that of your average MLB'r. 

I have been keeping an eye on Hurl for the last few games now and I can say with confidence that yes he has been that bad.  If you’re a MLB and you’re a rover, you should be making a lot more happen than he is.  The guy is almost never in the play.  He constantly over shoots plays or is just nowhere to be found. Some times the amount of tackles a LB gets in a game can be inflated and that’s why it’s not always the best way to assess a player, but that’s not the case here. In this case he’s not getting any tackles to inflate.

Nobody in the front 6 is a rover.  Hurl is almost always taking one of the three inside gaps in their base "Cowboy" defense.  Google "Gap Control."  It's not 1985.  MLB's don't chase the ball around the field.

It’s not 1985…lol.  I wish it was 1985, because then we would be coming off a Grey Cup victory and heading into 2 more in 5 years.

I don’t care what defence they are running.  The fact is, he is missing plays that are happening right in front of him.  He has not been good.

he wasn't good at any point and Darvin Adams is a better option. Kelly had no business being on the roster at all. Stop trying to make like he was good. He wasn't even better than Romby Bryant. 

A. Kelly helped us win the First game vs Toronto with 2 TDs I don;t think another Bomber REC had 2 TDs in a game all last year, he also helped us win vs HAM with a critical catch on the winning drive and a very strong game so in our first 3 games he was important in 2 wins, he also has another very good game in another win ( don't remember the details ) A. Kelly also had more TDs than Denmark (4) Moore (0) and Byrant (0) combined with 6 I know that isn't many but it was tops on the team last year. And I am not saying he was great just saying he was better than you are giving him credit for...And I have no problem that he is gone because I realize his problem was a lack of speed and he was too light and got pushed around... Adams is a much better Receiver yes I agree with that but Kelly helped us last year and we miss having a big REC this year. J. Gordon is garbage ( at least so far ) and Veltung is a good returner and fillin but he is not a top REC...

So again until you have someone better you shouldn't just cut someone because they dared to speak back to the coaches....

So Walters has failed to find a big target the Bombers said they wanted to find, however I am not sure I trust that Marcel B. would know a good rec vs bad based on his opinion of Brohm being a CFL QB...

That was always the thing about Kelly though. He'd make a few big plays but the rest of the time he was invisible. He caught some big passes but the guy did a disappearing act too often. He might have had more touchdowns, but Moore and Denmark rarely go into their complete disappearances. It's not his lack of speed that kept Kelly out, it's his lack of ability to make a consistent impact on a game. A guy who pops up every few games for a big catch or two and then does nothing isn't helping you win games. 

I think the problem with Hurl is he isn't great is space... which is a major problem for a MLB... that being said, Hall has done a good job of mitigating that weakness by lining up Hurl in specific formations and letting Bass be more like the "in-space" LB... in some sets Bass seems more like a traditional MLB than Hurl...

I think the problem with Hurl is he isn't great is space... which is a major problem for a MLB... that being said, Hall has done a good job of mitigating that weakness by lining up Hurl in specific formations and letting Bass be more like the "in-space" LB... in some sets Bass seems more like a traditional MLB than Hurl...

I agree with you that Hurl isn't great in space.  He tends to overcommet too early which makes it easy for the RB or WR to get around him.

He also isn't that great in a crowd.

Hall has done a good job of mitigating that weakness, but only against teams that are not great at running the ball. 

So they were fine against Calgary, who doesn't have Cornish at the moment and they were fine against Hamilton who also don't really have a great running game.

However, when they played a team with a running game, they get run over. 

Against Toronto, Kackert ran over our D with 12 carries for 74 yards at 6.0 yards per carry.

Against BC Harris ran over our D with 117 yards on 24 carries.

Against Edmonton Bell ran for 95 yards on 12 carries at 7.9 yards per carry.

When we did play Calgary with Cornish he ran over our D for 120 yards on 15 carries at 8 yards per carry.

What's going to happen this weekend and next weekend when we face Messam again? 

I shudder to think.

As it stands, I like our defence, but if we can aquire someone like Lemon to add some more pass rushing ability and substitute Hurl with Wild I would really like our D.  Those 2 moves could put this defence over the top.

That was always the thing about Kelly though. He'd make a few big plays but the rest of the time he was invisible. He caught some big passes but the guy did a disappearing act too often. He might have had more touchdowns, but Moore and Denmark rarely go into their complete disappearances. It's not his lack of speed that kept Kelly out, it's his lack of ability to make a consistent impact on a game. A guy who pops up every few games for a big catch or two and then does nothing isn't helping you win games. 

He's helping you win the games were he makes a big catch or two.

a question about our neg list, i am guessing it takes about 2 -3 years before alot of those players come up to cdn to play, someone said about the tor new receivers, they are 26-27 yrs old, have been thru two or three training camps in the nfl, so maybe tor had them for the last three yrs on the neg list, walters has had only been in charge for one nfl training camp year, this is year two, so the players he signs for next year more than likely get cut this sept in the nfl and then by next march give up the dream of the nfl and come north

we do need a healthy Adams, makes a big dif to how they play

This has happened to all receivers including Denmark in the last two years. Kohlert is a prime example of being the "invisible man" but you can't blame him, whenever the ball is thrown his way he usually catches it and fights for yards.  In all but a few games the ball has not been spread around and not surprisingly when the ball has been well distributed the Bombers have produced their best offencive results.

Under MB's schemes talent often remains unexploited or underused to it's full extent and this often makes a particular player look inadequate.  Current examples #1 Marshall, #2 Veltung.  The fact that some people still question Cotton's talent is surprising as a review of what he can do when given sufficient touches reveals him to be an exceptionally talented RB.  MB can never make up his mind to commit to anything quickly or for long enough to eventually reap the rewards, in essence he's no more than a dabbler who could even make Barry Sanders look bad.

Quite frankly until MB is washed away the stench of his influence over offencive player selection, talent and performance can't be honestly evaluated imo.

He's helping you win the games were he makes a big catch or two.

only if you only want to win a game every couple months. 

Re: Our present qb situation... How could any competent GM let it get to this?

In all likelihood, the GM has to rely on his coaches' assessment of the current talent and the resulting need (if any) for improvement. Either O'Shea and Co. believe that what they have is good enough or no one better is available. I have a hard time believing that no one better was/ is available.

The thing that lots of you are forgetting about this present QB situation is in the off season, most people thought we had really good depth at the QB position. Some people can pretend that they didn't think this but reality truly is, 95 percent of this board thought our QB depth was fine... even after Durant got hurt, there were discussions on this very board about the QB depth and people were going on about how lucky we were to have the depth that we have. It's fun to pretend at times but, let's not get ridiculous and think that most of us didn't think our QB depth was good enough compared to the rest of the league really.  Can say what you want now but regardless, it wasn't too long ago that people thought we had damn good QB depth on this team. 

The thing that lots of you are forgetting about this present QB situation is in the off season, most people thought we had really good depth at the QB position. Some people can pretend that they didn't think this but reality truly is, 95 percent of this board thought our QB depth was fine... even after Durant got hurt, there were discussions on this very board about the QB depth and people were going on about how lucky we were to have the depth that we have. It's fun to pretend at times but, let's not get ridiculous and think that most of us didn't think our QB depth was good enough compared to the rest of the league really.  Can say what you want now but regardless, it wasn't too long ago that people thought we had damn good QB depth on this team. 

What does it matter what people thought at the beginning of the season?  Most of the people on this board are fans and for the most part over value the talent we have and want to cheer for the team they follow.

Most people on this board who thought these things aren’t in practices to evaluate the QBs. Most people on this board don’t watch game film to dissect the decisions the QB made on the called play and what the defense was showing.

Most people on this board were happy with what we had until they had a chance to actually see it.  So what exactly is your point here?  That people shouldn’t complain about the QBs because they were happy at the beginning of the season? That makes no sense.

You really also can’t throw out numbers like 95% of the people thought the QB depth was fine. Maybe 95% of the people who posted thought the QB depth was fine, but that is something entirely different. Unless you go back and can correlate the people who said they were happy with the depth are now the ones complaining about it, it really has no correlation.   I’m also sure 95% of those 95% of the people also thought Drew Willy would play for at least 80% of the games…

The one distinct area where I show concern lays at the feet of the scouting dept., specifically Danny McManus. I love the fact that the Bombers had finally invested more than a train ticket budget to have a real football operations dept., but how many of you are surprised/shocked that we don't have a steady stream of players that can pass the muster and push for roster spots? I know I am.

This area gets a failing grade from me.

I totally agree that our scouting department seems to be lacking compared to other teams. Look at all the injuries in Calgary, and they just keep rolling. Imagine if we lost 2 Canadian o'linemen?? And they didn't miss a beat.