If I Were Kyle Walters ...

Guest J5V

Much as I like Khari and what he would bring to the community, we have had enough of inexperienced head coaches who are cutting their teeth at our expense. We need someone with successful head coach experience, like a Trestman or even Higgins. Were Trestman available right now, I would turf O'Shea today, not because I dislike him, but because he appears to be in over his head.

Much as I like Khari and what he would bring to the community, we have had enough of inexperienced head coaches who are cutting their teeth at our expense. We need someone with successful head coach experience, like a Trestman or even Higgins. Were Trestman available right now, I would turf O'Shea today, not because I dislike him, but because he appears to be in over his head.

You know what I would like? That we stop worrying about how much we "like" coaches as a basis for hiring them. I don't care if the coach is the biggest "Richard" out there (*COUGH* Chris Jones *COUGH*), winning football will make us all like them plenty good enough.

You want a proven head coach then your only option is Trestman. No not Higgins. Everyone else with experience who isn't 100 years old has been given a shot to be a head coach and failed. That's why it's always coordinators getting hired these days. 

You know what' better than firing a decent head coach in Mike O'Shea? Giving him enough depth on the roster so that a few injuries don't derail the entire thing. 

We need to stop blaming coaches here. Kyle Walters seems to be the teflon man but 2 years now he has simply not brought in enough talent from the States to this team and his drafting is fairly over rated as well. He's done some good work in signing CFL free agents but outside of that he is lacking and needs to be better before we think that a new coach will magically fix everything. 

You want a proven head coach then your only option is Trestman. No not Higgins. Everyone else with experience who isn't 100 years old has been given a shot to be a head coach and failed. That's why it's always coordinators getting hired these days. 

You know what' better than firing a decent head coach in Mike O'Shea? Giving him enough depth on the roster so that a few injuries don't derail the entire thing. 

We need to stop blaming coaches here. Kyle Walters seems to be the teflon man but 2 years now he has simply not brought in enough talent from the States to this team and his drafting is fairly over rated as well. He's done some good work in signing CFL free agents but outside of that he is lacking and needs to be better before we think that a new coach will magically fix everything. 

Except for MB.  We can always blame MB.

Yes, this is Walters' mess. Our depth is terrible and a banged up squad like Calgary only reveals that. 

Walters was not ready to GM. The exhaustive search for a capable GM was classic Miller spin, friends helping out friends. 

Biggest mistake we made (at least GM wise) was tying the can to John Murphy. Calgary has benefitted enormously. 

Apart from the steaming mess in Montreal, Higgins has had success, and I believe would be better than O'Shea. Walters deserves his share of criticism as does McManus but good players look worse under bad coaches, so that has to be looked at, too.

Apart from the steaming mess in Montreal, Higgins has had success, and I believe would be better than O'Shea. Walters deserves his share of criticism as does McManus but good players look worse under bad coaches, so that has to be looked at, too.

Higgins had success with Ricky Ray and  prime Henry Burris forgive me for not thinking he's all that as a coach. 

I'll tell you this much, you bring in higgins and you keep MB and the same stuff will happen next year.

MB has a history of this crap, going back to Montreal... that team with a very good oline gave up the most sacks in the league, he was fired and next season with the same oline and  the same AC, they gave up like 26 sacks all season long.

People are so quick to point the blame at the head coach  when in reality, a head coach who has lost the room looks like Chamblin in SASK, not O'shea in WPG. 

The depth and the Offensive play calling is killing this team right now. It's what killed it last year too... do we not see the pattern here?

I'll tell you this much, you bring in higgins and you keep MB and the same stuff will happen next year.

MB has a history of this crap, going back to Montreal... that team with a very good oline gave up the most sacks in the league, he was fired and next season with the same oline and  the same AC, they gave up like 26 sacks all season long.

People are so quick to point the blame at the head coach  when in reality, a head coach who has lost the room looks like Chamblin in SASK, not O'shea in WPG. 

The depth and the Offensive play calling is killing this team right now. It's what killed it last year too... do we not see the pattern here?

Bellefeuille is the biggest open sore with the team at the moment, but you do need to ask- who chose and kept him as well as our previous DC? And who decided that the current bunch of wanna-be-starter QBs was good enough?

We need to hire a quality OC and a quality QB coach. Frankly we need better scouting. Walters has to be on the hot seat too. He's great at free agency or getting players and signing them right before free agency (Willy, Randle, Westerman, Bryant, Moore, D.Adams), his drafting is hard to say, american scouting needs work (see two years of poor recruiting at receiver and on the DL).

I think we need a new stc and oc... replace Goveia with Moll!

Mike O'shea should be here to stay!

All this MOS love reminds me of the the Rheinbold (sp?) Era. Lotta love for a terrible judge of talent and record but hey he is a good guy.This is the HC who stuck with MB, Brohm ,and Marve as his backups so how the hell do you only blame Mb? Strange logic.

Higgins had success with Ricky Ray and  prime Henry Burris forgive me for not thinking he's all that as a coach.

Exactly. higgins is a great driver of a team when its built and running top notch. He isnt too great when he has to coach up people and be the builder imo.

All this MOS love reminds me of the the Rheinbold (sp?) Era. Lotta love for a terrible judge of talent and record but hey he is a good guy.This is the HC who stuck with MB, Brohm ,and Marve as his backups so how the hell do you only blame Mb? Strange logic.

Because people listen to cfl pundits and current and former players? Lol. Its not just a meager few crazies on this board who are saying O'shea is not the issue but hey, dont let that get in the way of your relentless hatred of the guy..

Because people listen to cfl pundits and current and former players? Lol. Its not just a meager few crazies on this board who are saying O'shea is not the issue but hey, dont let that get in the way of your relentless hatred of the guy..
Nope don't hate him just think he is over his head as a HC. IF we go to 3-8 then we will see who stands behind MOS.

Walters is reminding me of Desjardins when he went to Hamilton to GM before he was ready for that position too.

Yes, there was a lot of work to be done with the team from a national stand point but even Mack/Moll found better international talent

Walters does not have the contacts down south and it's looking like his scouts don't either.

Having said that though, the Bombers do have a lot international talent in the pike, thanks to Mack/Moll, so there is still hope a few of those pan out

Lets no assume that criticism of the Bomber coaches are ad hominem attacks on their personalities. We know little or nothing about their personal lives and whether they eat puppies or kick little old ladies, but they are legitimately open to criticism of their results. Last year the vast concensus in this forum was that Etcheverry showed himself to be completely incompetent all season and yet O'Shea took until til Xmas to figure that out.

O'Shea is not responsible for all that is wrong withthe team but he hired Etcheverry and hired (and kept) Bellefeille, and has to be largely responsible for the sad assortment of backup quarterbacks we have. There is broad concensus here that Bellefeuille is a large part of our offensive problems and if we can see this, as we did with Etcheverry in 2014 but O'shea cannot, that is a terminal problem.

We just need a good scout like moll or a guy like Murphy aND we will be good. We good the horses to get Canadians. .. we have the qb to build around and Danny mac to help find a back up... now we just need a guy to find us some amercs.

Stc and oc must be replaced. Anyone who says Mike O'shea should be fired doesn't know football

We just need a good scout like moll or a guy like Murphy aND we will be good. We good the horses to get Canadians. .. we have the qb to build around and Danny mac to help find a back up... now we just need a guy to find us some amercs.

Stc and oc must be replaced. Anyone who says Mike O'shea should be fired doesn't know football

Do we really though?

Do we really though?

I think so. Look at our Canadian depth compared to the Mack and even the Taman regimes and you'll see its much improved. Sure we don't have any superstars anymore like Doug or Henoc, but we have a lot more guys who are capable and can contribute as starters or at least as rotational players.

Do we really though?

I think so. Look at our Canadian depth compared to the Mack and even the Taman regimes and you'll see its much improved. Sure we don't have any superstars anymore like Doug or Henoc, but we have a lot more guys who are capable and can contribute as starters or at least as rotational players.

Most of that is having a coach who is willing to play Canadians.  Berry and Burke absolutely were playing their 7 best and nobody else on O or D.  That's why we were always hooped with a single injury.  Lapolice was a little more in the middle but still loathe to use Canadians on D as role players.

Do we really though?

I don't know that the depth really is that much better and the best Canadian player we have was signed as a free agent out of the NFL not even a drafted guy... Walters has done a pretty good job in free agency but other than that I still find him wanting.