Bombers @ Hamilton Game Day

Mr Dee

All the big mistakes, the direct to points ones were individual breakdowns. Hard to call out the response of the whole team based on that. Hamilton's offense didn't do much. D responded when they got a chance. Banks didn't do much. OL just isn't good enough to sustain drives, mentally and somewhat physically. Stoudermire is an idiot who is trying to do too much. I have no issue with about 40 of the 44 who played today. Get a LG, C, KR who are average to good CFL players and this team is in the 9-11 win range.

All the big mistakes, the direct to points ones were individual breakdowns. Hard to call out the response of the whole team based on that. Hamilton's offense didn't do much. D responded when they got a chance. Banks didn't do much. OL just isn't good enough to sustain drives, mentally and somewhat physically. Stoudermire is an idiot who is trying to do too much. I have no issue with about 40 of the 44 who played today. Get a LG, C, KR who are average to good CFL players and this team is in the 9-11 win range.

Agree in the main, especially the D, but this is a real bad "habit" when it happens as often as it does. We had essentially 53 minutes of garbage time..

Here's my beef with the whole OL thing, Bomber specific and the league to some extent.  Why put guys out there who you know can't do the job?  Priority #1 for the whole team, not just the offense needs to be protecting the QB.  Especially for a team like the Bombers who are obviously reliant on Willy to be able to compete.  Use 3 imports on the OL if you have to, and bring in an import who knows how to play the interior positions, not just a tackle who you're going to slide inside and be just as bad as the NI guy.

Neufeld clearly missed a lot of Picard's calls or just wasn't in this game.  A lot of slide protections he just opened up out of his stance like they were doing a regular pocket with no movement, other times he chased guys off the line which opened up his inside gap and completely killed the play.  When he does get his hands on somebody he's a below-average blocker.  Picard is worse.  If Goossen truly isn't an option at this point he must be just terrible.  If I'm Walters I'm looking at getting import help for the interior.

Who is this supposed guru of an o line coach that we have. He's been here for a year and a half and with supposed better talent and his o line is no better than last year. With a pocket passer and slow reaction passer like Willy you've got to hold your block a second or two longer. These guys not only can not block but in todays game i've never witnessed so many missed blocks especially from the interior linemen. 

Who is this supposed guru of an o line coach that we have. He's been here for a year and a half and with supposed better talent and his o line is no better than last year. With a pocket passer and slow reaction passer like Willy you've got to hold your block a second or two longer. These guys not only can not block but in todays game i've never witnessed so many missed blocks especially from the interior linemen.

Bellefeuille and to a lesser extent Willy holding onto the ball too long are the problems with protection. The actual OL isn't the primary problem.

Bellefeuille and to a lesser extent Willy holding onto the ball too long are the problems with protection. The actual OL isn't the primary problem.

Flat out wrong.  Willy had guys in his face when he got the snap on numerous occasions.  About the only sack he took where he held the ball for even a remotely longer than he should have was a 2nd and 20 when he needed extra time to let the guys downfield get open to try and convert.  The OL is the entire problem with the offense.  It is abysmal and was even bad by the low standard they've set for themselves tonight.  They looked like they were running different plays than the guy next to them far too often.  Nobody should ever come through untouched between the inside gaps of the OT's and OG's and it happened at least a dozen times tonight to all 3 QB's.

Flat out wrong. Willy had guys in his face when he got the snap on numerous occasions. About the only sack he took where he held the ball for even a remotely longer than he should have was a 2nd and 20 when he needed extra time to let the guys downfield get open. The OL is the entire problem with the offense. It is abysmal and was even bad by the low standard they've set for themselves tonight. They looked like they were running different plays than the guy next to them far too often.

Sorry man. You're wrong. Bellefeuille, Willy, then the actual OL (in that order) are the problems with the OL.

Here's my beef with the whole OL thing, Bomber specific and the league to some extent.  Why put guys out there who you know can't do the job?  Priority #1 for the whole team, not just the offense needs to be protecting the QB.  Especially for a team like the Bombers who are obviously reliant on Willy to be able to compete.  Use 3 imports on the OL if you have to, and bring in an import who knows how to play the interior positions, not just a tackle who you're going to slide inside and be just as bad as the NI guy.

Neufeld clearly missed a lot of Picard's calls or just wasn't in this game.  A lot of slide protections he just opened up out of his stance like they were doing a regular pocket with no movement, other times he chased guys off the line which opened up his inside gap and completely killed the play.  When he does get his hands on somebody he's a below-average blocker.  Picard is worse.  If Goossen truly isn't an option at this point he must be just terrible.  If I'm Walters I'm looking at getting import help for the interior.

This is a baffling thing about the Neufeld trade... he was like that in Sask as well.  He only looked good at RT but he's never gotten a look there.   

I was a Picard fan, but sure is looking like his best before date has passed...  then again, whoever we plug and play - for years now - just seems to deteriorate...  remember when Jones, Knapp were our saviours?

Teams know that if they load the box Bellefuile will crumble...  why abandon the run in this game?  It was working and the score was so out of hand, just take it one play at a time...

This is a baffling thing about the Neufeld trade... he was like that in Sask as well.  He only looked good at RT but he's never gotten a look there.   

I was a Picard fan, but sure is looking like his best before date has passed...  then again, whoever we plug and play - for years now - just seems to deteriorate...  remember when Jones, Knapp were our saviours?

Teams know that if they load the box Bellefuile will crumble...  why abandon the run in this game?  It was working and the score was so out of hand, just take it one play at a time...

Neufeld didn't look good at RT, he hasn't really looked good anywhere as a Bomber for more than a game at a time.  I watched the entire Riders-Stamps playoff game from 2012 when we got Neufeld and the Riders almost always had a back or tight end on his outside hip widening the rush lanes and helping him out, he still struggled to find a block and get his hands on anyone.  That was before he snapped his leg.  I doubt his mobility is any better.  He's better matched physically with ends in terms of strength but doesn't have the athleticism to stop them from turning the corner on him at 5 yards.

Hamilton wasn't really sending a ton of rushers in terms of numbers, they just disguise who is coming very well.  If the Bombers went into a basic pocket protection scheme, protect inside gaps and give the QB a chance to read the blitz and hit hot routes behind it they would have had a reasonable chance to move the ball consistently.  You gotta block gaps, not players when teams are sending anyone on a blitz, that's the only way to give a QB a chance.  Also might have simplified things to get the OL on the same page.  They seemed completely confused and out of sync, Neufeld in particular stood out as chasing guys far away from his basic responsibility to his inside gap and not moving in sync with the line when they went to slide protections at times when Picard called them to meet the blitz off the edge.

Flat out wrong. Willy had guys in his face when he got the snap on numerous occasions. About the only sack he took where he held the ball for even a remotely longer than he should have was a 2nd and 20 when he needed extra time to let the guys downfield get open. The OL is the entire problem with the offense. It is abysmal and was even bad by the low standard they've set for themselves tonight. They looked like they were running different plays than the guy next to them far too often.

Sorry man. You're wrong. Bellefeuille, Willy, then the actual OL (in that order) are the problems with the OL.

Dunno guys. Can't say the offence lost this game. They didn't score near enough obviously but special teams are the ones that crapped the bed. That's what needs to get fixed before Friday.