Bombers @ Hamilton Game Day

Mr Dee

Aug. 9

Hamilton - Injuries - Butler 1 game IR, Fantuz and Gable 6 game IR

2015 Meeting #1: (Hamilton 52 at Winnipeg 26)

- The key event turning the first meeting of the season was when Winnipeg QB Drew Willy went down after just 12 offensive plays and the end of their third possession. When Willy left the score was 10-7 Hamilton, and within 11:00 of play that had moved to 38-7.

HOME Team Notes & Trends - HAMILTON:

- Unbeaten at Tim Hortons Field: Since moving into Tim Hortons Field on September 1, 2014 vs Toronto, the Tiger-Cats have

played 7 regular season games and gone a perfect 7-0. Here are some updated facts & figures about the THF streak:

- The Crowd Effect Updated: Offside-Procedure-Time Count Penalties Hamilton 17, Opponents 28. No game demonstrated this trend better than last week when Toronto was flagged 7 times for offside-procedure calls to Hamilton’s 3.

- 20+ Leads: IN 3 of the 7 games at THF, the Ti-Cats have established a 20-point or better lead.

- Q4: The real key to the 7 wins has been an overwhelming scoring edge in the 4th Quarter of 57-23 (+34).

- Q4: Hamilton has yet to be outscored in any 4th Quarter at Tim Horton’s with 4 shutouts.

- Since 2002: The 7-game win streak is their longest at home since an 11-game winning run in 2001-2002. - Defence: Opponents have averaged only 13.0 points in 7 games and made 8 more T/Os than Hamilton.

- Opponent Offensive TDs: Hamilton has allowed only 7 opponent offensive TD drives in 7 games at THF.

- CFL Record Pace Penalties: Hamilton drew 12 penalties in last week’s game, and are now tied for last with Toronto at 14.60 per game. At that pace, the Ti-Cats would just surpass the CFL’s all-time record for most penalties in a single season. They are on pace to draw 263 penalties in 2015; one more call than Hamilton themselves drew in 2004 at 14.56 per game (262 total).

- Creating multiple first down drives: Of the 62 possessions that Hamilton has had thus far, they have created multiple first downs on 31 of them – or exactly half (does not include possessions where they simply take a knee). They are #2 at 29 yards per drive.

- Amazing streak: The Ti-Cats lead the CFL in 2nd down conversions at 59.5% including the Edmonton at BC game this week. What is remarkable is that Hamilton has been 50% or better in all 5 games (better than 55% actually). Hamilton went above 50% in only three games all of last year. NO CFL TEAM HAS GONE MORE THAN 5 GAMES IN A ROW SINCE 2011.

- Luke Tasker 7 of 7: The 2014 Eastern All-Star returned last week and was targeted 7 times against Toronto. He caught all 7 pases for 73 yards, three of which were key 2nd down conversion catches. Of his 73 yards, 30 came after the catch.

- Two-and-outs: In their five games this year, Hamilton has only 15 two-&-outs (3.0 per game) compared to 38 in the first five games last season (7.6 per game). Hamilton has the fewest two-&-outs in the CFL.

- Last Week vs Toronto: The Argos outgained Hamilton 431 yards to 279, had 7 more first downs, threw for 389 yards and controlled the ball for 31:52. These are all solid indicators for a win and yet – Hamilton won 34-18. The key was 5-1 turnover advantage, all 5 of which came in the second half.

- No interceptions of late: After throwing 3 interceptions on Jul 16/15 vs Montreal, Zach Collaros had none in the last two games and none in his last 58 pass attempts.

VISITING Team Notes & Trends - WINNIPEG:

Injuries - Moore, Newman, Gibson, Richards - 1 game IR

- Drew Willy a Key: Twice this season so far, the Bombers have lost starting QB Drew Willy mid-game. Here are the game scores before and after Willy left the game with the result that when he has been in the game the Bombers have had a 113-102 scoring edge (+11). When he has been sidelined, Winnipeg has been outscored 70-19 (-51).

In 2015, with Willy in charge of their offence, the Bombers have averaged 26.3 yards per drive, without him that average drops by 59% to just 15.6 yards per drive. Last week, Willy led them to 389 yards of offence vs BC in only 11 possessions.

- Drew Willy #1: The Bombers starting QB held the CFL’s highest passer rating through Week #6 at 113.3. last week, he did not throw an interceptions and completed 17-of-25 passes for 269 yards and 2 TDs. Last week, he rushed for a career-high 72 yards vs BC on just 5 attempts. Of those 5 carries, 4 went for 10+ yards.

- Close games: The Bombers have had a series of close games this year, three to be exact settled by 1, 2 and 4 points. At the other end two have been decided by two of the CFL’s three largest margins for 2015 – decisions by 26 and 29 points.

- Turnover Ratio: In their three wins Winnipeg has a T/O Ratio of +8, in their three defeats they are -5. Since 2009, they have gone 32-8 (.800) when making less turnovers, and only 8-66 (.108) when do not win the T/O battle.

- Darvin Adams: In his last three games, Adams has recorded two of 120+ receiving yards. Last week, he caught just 4 passes but turned that into 127 yards with an effort that earned 62 YAC and a TD.

- Paris Cotton: Started off the year with 154 rushing yards on 22 carries in the first two games. Since then in 4 games, he has had only 102 yards on 31 carries for a 3.3 yard average.

- Lirim Hajrullahu 3-for-3: Made all three of his FG attempts vs BC last week on the heels of a two-game span where he was successful on only 2-of-5 tries. His three misses in 2015 have all come from 42+yards.His punts shave trapped opponents inside their 20-yard line 13 times thus far in 2015.

- Kahlil Bass: Led all CFL defenders with 10 tackles last week vs BC.

- Denmark: Clarence Denmark has been held to just 6 catches for 23 yards in the last two games despite 13 targets.

Aug. 9

Hamilton - Injuries - Butler 1 game IR, Fantuz and Gable 6 game IR

2015 Meeting #1: (Hamilton 52 at Winnipeg 26)

- The key event turning the first meeting of the season was when Winnipeg QB Drew Willy went down after just 12 offensive plays and the end of their third possession. When Willy left the score was 10-7 Hamilton, and within 11:00 of play that had moved to 38-7.

HOME Team Notes & Trends - HAMILTON:

- Unbeaten at Tim Hortons Field: Since moving into Tim Hortons Field on September 1, 2014 vs Toronto, the Tiger-Cats have

played 7 regular season games and gone a perfect 7-0. Here are some updated facts & figures about the THF streak:

- The Crowd Effect Updated: Offside-Procedure-Time Count Penalties Hamilton 17, Opponents 28. No game demonstrated this trend better than last week when Toronto was flagged 7 times for offside-procedure calls to Hamilton’s 3.

- 20+ Leads: IN 3 of the 7 games at THF, the Ti-Cats have established a 20-point or better lead.

- Q4: The real key to the 7 wins has been an overwhelming scoring edge in the 4th Quarter of 57-23 (+34).

- Q4: Hamilton has yet to be outscored in any 4th Quarter at Tim Horton’s with 4 shutouts.

- Since 2002: The 7-game win streak is their longest at home since an 11-game winning run in 2001-2002. - Defence: Opponents have averaged only 13.0 points in 7 games and made 8 more T/Os than Hamilton.

- Opponent Offensive TDs: Hamilton has allowed only 7 opponent offensive TD drives in 7 games at THF.

- CFL Record Pace Penalties: Hamilton drew 12 penalties in last week’s game, and are now tied for last with Toronto at 14.60 per game. At that pace, the Ti-Cats would just surpass the CFL’s all-time record for most penalties in a single season. They are on pace to draw 263 penalties in 2015; one more call than Hamilton themselves drew in 2004 at 14.56 per game (262 total).

- Creating multiple first down drives: Of the 62 possessions that Hamilton has had thus far, they have created multiple first downs on 31 of them – or exactly half (does not include possessions where they simply take a knee). They are #2 at 29 yards per drive.

- Amazing streak: The Ti-Cats lead the CFL in 2nd down conversions at 59.5% including the Edmonton at BC game this week. What is remarkable is that Hamilton has been 50% or better in all 5 games (better than 55% actually). Hamilton went above 50% in only three games all of last year. NO CFL TEAM HAS GONE MORE THAN 5 GAMES IN A ROW SINCE 2011.

- Luke Tasker 7 of 7: The 2014 Eastern All-Star returned last week and was targeted 7 times against Toronto. He caught all 7 pases for 73 yards, three of which were key 2nd down conversion catches. Of his 73 yards, 30 came after the catch.

- Two-and-outs: In their five games this year, Hamilton has only 15 two-&-outs (3.0 per game) compared to 38 in the first five games last season (7.6 per game). Hamilton has the fewest two-&-outs in the CFL.

- Last Week vs Toronto: The Argos outgained Hamilton 431 yards to 279, had 7 more first downs, threw for 389 yards and controlled the ball for 31:52. These are all solid indicators for a win and yet – Hamilton won 34-18. The key was 5-1 turnover advantage, all 5 of which came in the second half.

- No interceptions of late: After throwing 3 interceptions on Jul 16/15 vs Montreal, Zach Collaros had none in the last two games and none in his last 58 pass attempts.

VISITING Team Notes & Trends - WINNIPEG:

Injuries - Moore, Newman, Gibson, Richards - 1 game IR

- Drew Willy a Key: Twice this season so far, the Bombers have lost starting QB Drew Willy mid-game. Here are the game scores before and after Willy left the game with the result that when he has been in the game the Bombers have had a 113-102 scoring edge (+11). When he has been sidelined, Winnipeg has been outscored 70-19 (-51).

In 2015, with Willy in charge of their offence, the Bombers have averaged 26.3 yards per drive, without him that average drops by 59% to just 15.6 yards per drive. Last week, Willy led them to 389 yards of offence vs BC in only 11 possessions.

- Drew Willy #1: The Bombers starting QB held the CFL’s highest passer rating through Week #6 at 113.3. last week, he did not throw an interceptions and completed 17-of-25 passes for 269 yards and 2 TDs. Last week, he rushed for a career-high 72 yards vs BC on just 5 attempts. Of those 5 carries, 4 went for 10+ yards.

- Close games: The Bombers have had a series of close games this year, three to be exact settled by 1, 2 and 4 points. At the other end two have been decided by two of the CFL’s three largest margins for 2015 – decisions by 26 and 29 points.

- Turnover Ratio: In their three wins Winnipeg has a T/O Ratio of +8, in their three defeats they are -5. Since 2009, they have gone 32-8 (.800) when making less turnovers, and only 8-66 (.108) when do not win the T/O battle.

- Darvin Adams: In his last three games, Adams has recorded two of 120+ receiving yards. Last week, he caught just 4 passes but turned that into 127 yards with an effort that earned 62 YAC and a TD.

- Paris Cotton: Started off the year with 154 rushing yards on 22 carries in the first two games. Since then in 4 games, he has had only 102 yards on 31 carries for a 3.3 yard average.

- Lirim Hajrullahu 3-for-3: Made all three of his FG attempts vs BC last week on the heels of a two-game span where he was successful on only 2-of-5 tries. His three misses in 2015 have all come from 42+yards.His punts shave trapped opponents inside their 20-yard line 13 times thus far in 2015.

- Kahlil Bass: Led all CFL defenders with 10 tackles last week vs BC.

- Denmark: Clarence Denmark has been held to just 6 catches for 23 yards in the last two games despite 13 targets.

Great breakdown. Thanks. Bombers definite underdogs vs TiCats. Would love to see us stomp their TimBits but .... it's going to take an error-free effort and big pressure on Collaros. Anything is possible.

Hope Jhomo dresses and plays, would like to see him out there at times instead of the 2 cdn receivers...  brings some much needed speed also to the lineup..

But yup Greaves and Gordon seem like the likely scratches... Maybe LittleJohn tho and Greaves, tough call really... 

Don't like this starting 8 Canadians when we don't have to thing.

Jhomo dressing gives us the option to go 4 import receivers at times, i like that or maybe we see stoudemire in on some O plays but i'd doubt it for some reason. 

Tell you this much... I have disliked hamilton ever since the last game of the mike kelly era, the "blue out" as it were, went to lots of games that season for some reason but that last game, man when they jumped in the boat, it just pissed me off real good for some reason, ever since then, I have hated the ticats, hated, i gotta admit, i hate them more than i hate the riders even. They are just such arrogant pricks really lol. I don't like their fans very much either, used to post on CFL.CA site and man, when IGF was being built, the ticat fans would always come in and just mock the entire process, it was a bit funny tho when there stadium was built and delayed also but.. just that whole organization to me screams arrogant pricks. I dunno why, they haven't been good for very long, they were the doormats of the league not long ago but... for some reason, their fans act as if they are just the greatest thing in the world.. honestly tough call as to who is the more arrogant fanbase, riders or ticats.. It's close and i think i'd give the edge to the ticats cuz even when they sucked their fans were ridiculous.

I also think the fact that they act like selling out a 24000 seat building is a big deal... it just annoys me. 

Hope Jhomo dresses and plays, would like to see him out there at times instead of the 2 cdn receivers...  brings some much needed speed also to the lineup..

But yup Greaves and Gordon seem like the likely scratches... Maybe LittleJohn tho and Greaves, tough call really... 

Don't like this starting 8 Canadians when we don't have to thing.

Jhomo dressing gives us the option to go 4 import receivers at times, i like that or maybe we see stoudemire in on some O plays but i'd doubt it for some reason. 

O'Shea said LittleJohn is playing today.

Greaves and Jhomo Gordon likely scratches

who'd you pick today?

I took Hamilton in the Pick 'Ems on this site but I'm now leaning towards the Bombers. Certainly today would be a good day to put some money down on the Bombers. Hamilton is a little beat up, Winnipeg is healthy and hungry to put together back-to-back wins. The undefeated streak at THF will end at some point and today is as good a day as any. Key matchup is Collaros vs the Bombers defence. If he gets on a roll again, the Bombers are toast. If the defence can contain him and keep his completion percentage below 65, Bombers win. Special teams will be key as well. Either way I predict a close game.