Blue Jays

nate007

This love affair with the Jays is getting nauseating. Turning into Rider like levels of proportions.

It's only because it's literally Canada's team.....it's all we've got! For me, it's not even about baseball....as with most things (for me) it's all about national pride!

OK but when media become fanboys it's a little much. They did the same thing with the Raptors and them trampled on each other to get off that sinking ship.

the jays are a different entity altogether from the Raptors.  I was a pretty big fan of the Atlanta Braves back when they were a NL powerhouse and as a kid had the hats, jerseys...ect but my Grandma was always a jays fan and watching the back to back World series turned me into a fan, and i'd imagine a great deal of people across the country,  that was 22-23 years ago,  many became disenchanted with a losing product but would easily jump back on when they succeed.  In the last few years they have added some exciting elements (mainly bautista as his HR runs) and have had hot starts but faded come all star break.  this year finally looks like they found that missing equation to keep going and its exciting for long time fans, and the type of ball they are playing is just exciting to watch as a baseball fan period.

the raptors dont have a sliver of that popularity and even tho they are doing better, like the jays it will take a winner to win people over long term, they are on the right track tho, id be lying if i said i was a basketball fan, but i will watch the raptors when they are doing well and take in the odd march madness game, but I think if i watched the raptors win the championship id be following them more closely.  biggest issue for me is basketball and hockey play parallel and id rather watch hockey.  Baseball plays while the CFL runs but its easy to watch both at any given time

The point i was making pertained to the Toronto media that are the biggest bandwagon jumpers. There quick to pound there chests like they put the team together, then when things go sideways they want everyone fired. I also disagree about the Jays being more popular than the Raptors, don't let recent attendance fool you.  

The raptors last few years have created more buzz with the likes of DeRozan and Lowry (much more competitive team all around then in years past even with the likes of Chris Bosh or Vince Carter) , but Im not convinced they have anywhere close to the fanfare the jays have coast to coast. IF the raptors ever win a title or 2 like the jays (especially back to back) then Id say raptor fans grow in numbers substantially.  I think you underestimate how infectious the jays 92' and 93' world series wins were, hell McDonalds even caught the fever - still pissed i never did get a autographed Alomar card with my meal lol - and when mcdonalds wants to sell you,  you know you got a insanely hot item/product they are gonna cash in on.

this team right now that the jays are, in all aspects is something amazing. they have swept.... SWEPT 3 straight series and its not against garbage teams either,  the twins and the yankees were both ahead of the jays and they surpassed them both.  I honestly cant say if they are better then either of their championship teams but i can honestly say they are best team fielded in 20+ years. Leafs, raptors, argos....  cant blame the media for being excited, and whatever happens this year (playoffs or not) this teams worth writing about right now.

This love affair with the Jays is getting nauseating. Turning into Rider like levels of proportions.

Perhaps, especially if you're not a fan to begin with.  And TSN is definitely going nuts over it, which is funny considering Rogers is the owner and TV rights holder.  But as a closet Jays fan for many years it's nice to be able to cheer for them again and not get ridiculed for it.  Enjoy it while it lasts I say.  

For me, the difference between the Jays and Raptors is that I'm excited every year when baseball season starts, and watch the Jays a lot until they get into their usual 5-10 games back rut in late June and my interest wanes. With the Raptors, I could care less when the NBA season starts, and will only start paying attention when the playoffs near. Helps that I played a lot of baseball as a kid when the Jays were winning their titles, and never played any organized basketball at all.

CJOB has got to be among the biggest media Jays bandwagon jumpers out there. Earlier this season, Kelly Moore wouldn't even mention them in the morning sportscasts, even after a win, despite rattling off a bunch of other random MLB scores from teams nobody in Winnipeg cares about. Now it seems like he leads off every sportscast talking about them.

• 3 weeks later...