Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

I think the Liberals win, leaning towards a majority for them at this point.

So basically, I'm going to be paying more. I call CPP premium hike, carbon tax, GST hike within the first year. Book it.

You think they'd raise the CPP premium? After promising to restore the age 65 benefit and lowering EI? Not sure that would go over well.

Supposedly Id save a few bucks in income tax under the liberals but I'm not sure their definition of wealthy is the same as mine

So basically, I'm going to be paying more. I call CPP premium hike, carbon tax, GST hike within the first year. Book it.

I don't mind the GST hike, but the carbon tax we have here in BC really burns my butt.  It's not really fair to poor people, who have to heat their houses somehow.  And it's just another tax.  It has nothing to do with helping the environment.

I'm okay with higher taxes, if it means stimulating the economy and having more "stuff"......lower taxes is all well and good for my cheque, but it feels un-Canadian when it's at the expense of various programs, whether that's Arts/Culture, or whatever....

You think they'd raise the CPP premium? After promising to restore the age 65 benefit and lowering EI? Not sure that would go over well.

Supposedly Id save a few bucks in income tax under the liberals but I'm not sure their definition of wealthy is the same as mine

I think they do raise CPP premiums. Wynne in Ontario said she's only doing her provincial plan since Harper wouldn't raise CPP premiums and JT is pretty tied into that wing of the Liberals. Many progessives have raised the issue of Canadians not having enough in retirement including Justin. I think he lowers the age for OAS back to 65 and raises CPP premiums to expand CPP benefits.

I'm okay with higher taxes, if it means stimulating the economy and having more "stuff"......lower taxes is all well and good for my cheque, but it feels un-Canadian when it's at the expense of various programs, whether that's Arts/Culture, or whatever....

In Canada, we need to stop funding what is essentially a false culture. We produce shows that the majority don't watch in the name of culture. You can get a grant to produce paintings, a second to hold a show for said paintings and then a third to buy the paintings you did since nobody wants to buy them. We have grants to produce books that don't sell and that libraries don't want due to space restrictions. If anything, we need to lessen or eliminate arts funding.

I dont disagree.  But when people fly off the handle and attack the messenger, it says more about them.  Thats how I dont let attacks or insults on me bother me.  Its just people getting annoyed and spouting off.  Imagine being the Mods and having to monitor this thread and the amount of posts that have been deleted and posters who have whined to them.

Your comment about "shy Tories" and how they affected the polls in England really made me think of all of the people that have told me this election "I'm voting Conservative, but don't tell anyone", including this morning.  It makes me wonder how many people are in that same boat.  I look at all of the personal attacks made on the two of us here, and it really is a reflection of why people are downright afraid to speak up anymore unless they say they are voting Liberal or New Dumb.  It's not worth the aggravation and the insults.  Just quietly vote Conservative, and move on, without having to be yelled at by imbeciles.

In real life - as in life outside of this forum - I am the exact opposite of a shy Tory.  Try having a discussion about anything but Conservative with a bunch old farmers in a rural coffee shop - then you'll learn what a true roasting is.

I was so chapped when they used the GST reduction as a cheap vote-get. Pissed me off to no end. So many idiots barked like seals about how great it was, not realizing the easy money it provides for the government. I'm a big fan of goods and service taxes...don't wanna pay it? Don't buy stuff. It's that simple.

The only anger on this forum is usually venting from the top of your head. 

Nice.  What a dumb thing to say. I can't wait for this **** to be over.  Hard not to hold grudges after this with all of the stupid things we've said about each other, all because of stupid politics.

It's all good.  In this thread TUP and I want to lay the smack down on each other, in the movie thread we're good buddies.  It all works out.  :D

Even Steven.

tumblr_mk2mxv4ciK1rm4mpho1_500.jpg

I was so chapped when they used the GST reduction as a cheap vote-get. Pissed me off to no end. So many idiots barked like seals about how great it was, not realizing the easy money it provides for the government. I'm a big fan of goods and service taxes...don't wanna pay it? Don't buy stuff. It's that simple.

well it is a pretty regressive form of taxation...

The only wasted vote is the one that isn't made.  Even a spoiled ballot is better then not exercising your right to vote.

Why?

They don't allow refused ballots anymore and they don't count spoiled ballots in any fashion, so how is a spoiled ballot making any point?

I still have not voted and may not as I can't stand any of the three parties and we don't have any others running here. I am not going to vote for someone I don't agree with and, as I can't make a counted protest vote, WTF is the point?

BTW, Harper campaigning with the Fords was the last straw.

Lol BB1. I would say women having zero choice one subject makes the face/body covering an oppressive thing.

Personally I believe in equality. You don't have to agree though. That's your right. Gullible is believing in the big bad conservative boogeyman.

Frankly, as defined by our Constitution (the supreme law of our Country), you don't understand what the term equality means. Because it certainly does not mean, you taking away her choice to wear a niqab, and it is her choice, as she has said. In fact, the plaintiff has said one of the reasons she came to Canada was because of the freedom to practice her beliefs. Sure, while some woman may be forced to wear it, she is not one of them. And our law would not permit a woman being forced to wear a niqab by her husband. But, all that matters, in her case, is herself and her beliefs.

The fact that your solution to women having zero choice to not wear a niqab is to give them zero choice to wear it is ironic.

Well oddly Rich's post disappeared. But the reason I think this is "silly" is because we're dealing in facts.

We Can disagree about whether the Niqab should be allowed for Citizenship oaths. But to suggest we shouldn't care bexajse it's their "beliefs" or culture so it should be allowed is sort of silly given the facts of how women fit into the more fundamental Muslim culture.

Personally as I hve said numerous times, the issue is pretty low on my give a crap meter. But I think the government is correct in making the point that oppressive examples of any cultre shouldn't have a place at the moment someone is taking an oath to the values of Canada.

Women deserve better.

Again, the fact that you say we shouldn't care about someones beliefs or cultures because to you its improper just demonstrates you don't understand what the terms multicultural and equality mean when you state you support/believe in those values.

The only wasted vote is the one that isn't made.  Even a spoiled ballot is better then not exercising your right to vote.

Why?

They don't allow refused ballots anymore and they don't count spoiled ballots in any fashion, so how is a spoiled ballot making any point?

I still have not voted and may not as I can't stand any of the three parties and we don't have any others running here. I am not going to vote for someone I don't agree with and, as I can't make a counted protest vote, WTF is the point?

BTW, Harper campaigning with the Fords was the last straw.

I understand your dilemma but no one said who to vote for is always straightforward or easy.

For some of us there is never that perfect scenario but it's up to each of us as individuals to make tan informed decision of what is the most viable solution that hits some of the things you believe in. Just vote. You'll feel better regardless of the outcome.

I dont disagree.  But when people fly off the handle and attack the messenger, it says more about them.  Thats how I dont let attacks or insults on me bother me.  Its just people getting annoyed and spouting off.  Imagine being the Mods and having to monitor this thread and the amount of posts that have been deleted and posters who have whined to them.

Your comment about "shy Tories" and how they affected the polls in England really made me think of all of the people that have told me this election "I'm voting Conservative, but don't tell anyone", including this morning.  It makes me wonder how many people are in that same boat.  I look at all of the personal attacks made on the two of us here, and it really is a reflection of why people are downright afraid to speak up anymore unless they say they are voting Liberal or New Dumb.  It's not worth the aggravation and the insults.  Just quietly vote Conservative, and move on, without having to be yelled at by imbeciles.

In real life - as in life outside of this forum - I am the exact opposite of a shy Tory.  Try having a discussion about anything but Conservative with a bunch old farmers in a rural coffee shop - then you'll learn what a true roasting is.

You forget that I'm from the same kind of rural area.  I think I'm pretty right-wing, then I go to the Chicken Chef in Niverville and I feel like I'm Bernie Sanders.

You forget that I'm from the same kind of rural area.  I think I'm pretty right-wing, then I go to the Chicken Chef in Niverville and I feel like I'm Bernie Sanders.

Yep, nothing much ever changes out here.

I did ask that on one persons facebook actually. "You haven't given me one reason to vote liberal or NDP" and they kept linking anti Harper stories.

The NDP here in BC tried the same campaign in 2013.  Every time you asked the NDP why I should vote for them, I'd get something like "CHRISTY CLARK SUCKS!!" or something similar.  I'd say, ok, no argument here, but other than that, why should I vote NDP?  And I'd just get this confused look, like they hadn't really thought that far ahead.  When you don't give people reason to vote for the devil they don't know, they chose the one they do know.

And yet I wonder if you asked many in Manitoba why they should vote for Brian Pallister, would their answer not overwhelmingly be "Selinger sucks, he lied, time for change" rather than saying anything about Pallister. Maybe the simple answer "he's different than the guy who is in who I am fed up with" is a reason to vote for someone as much as it is a vote against someone. But the issue isn't voting against someone moreso than voting for someone - that has really been the case in most (all?) elections where the ruling party falls. The fact is it only bothers people when it is their party that is falling out of favour. Given your repeated distaste for "New Dumb" I have a hunch the "I'm voting against the Selinger government" stance as a reason to vote Conservative doesn't bother you or seem uneducated or shortsighted.

I dont disagree. But when people fly off the handle and attack the messenger, it says more about them. Thats how I dont let attacks or insults on me bother me. Its just people getting annoyed and spouting off. Imagine being the Mods and having to monitor this thread and the amount of posts that have been deleted and posters who have whined to them.

Your comment about "shy Tories" and how they affected the polls in England really made me think of all of the people that have told me this election "I'm voting Conservative, but don't tell anyone", including this morning. It makes me wonder how many people are in that same boat. I look at all of the personal attacks made on the two of us here, and it really is a reflection of why people are downright afraid to speak up anymore unless they say they are voting Liberal or New Dumb. It's not worth the aggravation and the insults. Just quietly vote Conservative, and move on, without having to be yelled at by imbeciles.

In real life - as in life outside of this forum - I am the exact opposite of a shy Tory. Try having a discussion about anything but Conservative with a bunch old farmers in a rural coffee shop - then you'll learn what a true roasting is.

Haha yeah I'm sure their arguments would make me laugh