Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

Lol okay.

I guess you don't know what a shot is.

Asking the liberal supporters if they are going to protest the result if it is under 50 percent of the popular vote is a shot. A poorly done one that reeks of sour grapes but an attempt at one none the less.

Saying that mulclair made a classy speech and that his supporters could learn from it is another example of a shot.

Hope that clears it up.

@CBCAlerts: 'Canadians chose change,' says prime minister-designate Justin #Trudeau, whose #Liberals have won a majority. #elxn42

@CTVNews: Trudeau opens address by quoting former PM Wilfrid Laurier, who spoke of "sunny ways" and knew politics could be positive force. #Elxn42

@CTVNews: "Canadians from all across this great country tonight: It's time for a change in this country ... a real change." https://t.co/KNVef4EBRm

@CTVMercedes: Trudeau says Harper served the country for a decade and thanks him for his service #elxn42 #CTVElection

@CBCAlerts: Prime minister-designate Justin Trudeau thanks Stephen Harper for his service, pays tribute to Tom Mulcair. #elxn42

Fraser - the only person seemingly sour here is you, odd given the result.

My remark about the popular vote was a joke because it was the position of a lot of non-cons. I don't subscribe to that opinion OBVIOUSLY. Lol

Try to keep up. People like you are so focused on being rude to other posters here you miss context. It's a shame

Anyway, my thoughts which I tweeted a few minutes ago are

@PCWAndrew: Great campaign by @JustinTrudeau He's the PM now. Deserves congrats and respect and good wishes. Make Canada proud.

Lol okay.

I guess you don't know what a shot is.

Asking the liberal supporters if they are going to protest the result if it is under 50 percent of the popular vote is a shot. A poorly done one that reeks of sour grapes but an attempt at one none the less.

Saying that mulclair made a classy speech and that his supporters could learn from it is another example of a shot.

Hope that clears it up.

Maybe sour grapes but it's a valid point.  I lost track over the past decade how often people would point out and complain that 60% or 63% or 58% of the country didn't vote for Harper.  Now that the shoe is on the other foot will people say this about Trudeau? 

And for the record I find this whole "majority of the country didn't vote for the PM" crap to be ridiculous.  I like having more than 2 choices.  Congrats to Trudeau.  Classy speeches by both Harper and Mulcair. 

No shots fired here.  :lol:

Interesting

Global

Stephen Harper will step down as Conservative leader following Monday’s federal election defeat.

John Walsh, president of the Conservative Party of Canada, said in a statement late Monday evening that he had spoken with Harper and confirmed that he was stepping down as leader.

“I have spoken to Prime Minister Stephen Harper and he has instructed me to reach out to the newly elected parliamentary caucus to appoint an Interim Leader and to the National Council to implement the leadership selection process pursuant to the Conservative Party of Canada constitution,” Walsh said

Harper, who was seeking a fourth consecutive term as prime minister since 2006, comfortably won his Calgary Heritage riding on Monday night and will continue to serve as MP in the immediate future.

But as Harper’s decade in power comes to a close, many are wondering who will be the new face of the Conservative party.

READ MORE: Should they stay or should they go? Canadians weigh in on party leaders’ futures

An Election Day survey conducted exclusively for Global News found that among Conservative support 17 per cent said they favour Jason Kenney as the next Conservative leader. However, 40 per cent of respondents said they preferred someone else other than the candidates listed. Premier of Saskatchewan Brad Wall received nine per cent support, while Tony Clement and former Liberal Quebec premier received eight per cent.

Joe Oliver, who lost his seat his seat to Liberal candidate Marco Mendicino in Toronto’s Eglinton-Lawrence riding, received six per cent support.

@stephen_taylor: Mulcair: Canada has rejected the politics of fear and division. NDP has message of hope and optimism.

NDP rejected harder than CPC tonight

Message pretty clearly is that Harper and his tactics didn't win out. This was a blowout, and that's even with the west once again going blue almost everywhere.

Mulcair is not wrong.

Mulcair got the boots taken to him. How is he not wrong? 

Toet won the last election by a very small margin against Jim malloway so there was a good chance that he would have lost this time anyway.

There was strategic voting as the Liberals were nonexistant in 2011 (they had 10% of the votes the ndp or cons did) but got enough to split the vote. I will say that if people had any idea of how far the Liberals would rise in this riding, then I think it goes red instead of orange.

The liberals shot up about 10k votes this time around and that was using a candidate who had zero ties to the community. Things could be much different in future elections.

Ndp got the boots handed to them for sure but the cons lost a ton of seats too and it wasn't only because people wanted anyone but harper. Change. People wanted change and this is what happens. People can talk about 3 weeks ago all they want... irrelevant. Liberals wooped ass today and did it at the expense of both cons and Ndp. Winnipeg is an interesting example. 6 of 8 went to the cons last time... this time... not one. Toronto was all liberal too pretty much. Cons were a distant third in lots of ridings they didn't win in.