Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

Fraser - the only person seemingly sour here is you, odd given the result.

My remark about the popular vote was a joke because it was the position of a lot of non-cons. I don't subscribe to that opinion OBVIOUSLY. Lol

Try to keep up. People like you are so focused on being rude to other posters here you miss context. It's a shame

Anyway, my thoughts which I tweeted a few minutes ago are

@PCWAndrew: Great campaign by @JustinTrudeau He's the PM now. Deserves congrats and respect and good wishes. Make Canada proud.

I would have thought you'd be smart enough to know your comment was a snide remark towards the ndp. Apparently I was wrong.

I wonder if that bartender that won last time even though she didnt speak French or visit her riding during the campaign kept her seat.

If not I'd be open to consoling her

She did. She's actually been a really good story. She's learned how to speak French fluently and has been taking her job seriously since she won, even working as a deputy critic. It's nice to see b/c she could have made it a big joke and just collected a cheque for four years.

My remark about the popular vote was a joke because it was the position of a lot of non-cons. I don't subscribe to that opinion OBVIOUSLY. Lol

Try to keep up. People like you are so focused on being rude to other posters here you miss context. It's a shame

@PCWAndrew: Great campaign by @JustinTrudeau He's the PM now. Deserves congrats and respect and good wishes. Make Canada proud.

I would have thought you'd be smart enough to know your comment was a snide remark towards the ndp. Apparently I was wrong.

That whooshing sound was the point going right over your head, Fraser.  How was it a snide remark towards your precious NDP?  And how would you know my intent better than me?  You're a real piece of work. lol

Lighten up, Francis.  It's over.

So the daughter of Joe Clark tweeted her congratulations to the son of Pierre Trudeau, and it was retweeted by the son of Brian Mulroney.

— Mark MacKinnon (@markmackinnon)

October 20, 2015

I love this. The next generation is taking over, and the youth (see: non-Blue Hairs) vote carried the day. Nearly 70% voter turnout...massive upgrade....with the biggest upswing being in those Under-40, which is not the usual prime voter demographic. 

As a 1980 baby, I consider myself Gen-Y, right in the middle of the Gen-Xers and the Millennials, and I think our generation is starting to make some noise.

No word on Mulcair's future yet?

Any early predictions for Con leader? Can Mackay be convinced to return?

I saw Lisa LaFlamme interview McKay and she asked him that question.  He said no.  He just had another baby.  And he's getting a nice big pension.  Why go back to the circus in Ottawa?  Who needs it?

No word on Mulcair's future yet?

Any early predictions for Con leader? Can Mackay be convinced to return?

I saw Lisa LaFlamme interview McKay and she asked him that question.  He said no.  He just had another baby.  And he's getting a nice big pension.  Why go back to the circus in Ottawa?  Who needs it?

Thats too bad.  I always liked him.

Jason Kenney would seem to be the front runner.  Fairly young, experienced, multiple port folios and roots in the reform party.

Wiki:

Kenney has been named one of Canada's "100 Leaders of the Future" by Maclean's magazine; "one of Canada's leading conservative activists" by the Globe and Mail; and "one of 21 Canadians to watch in the 21st century" by the Financial Post magazine.

On May 13, 2009, Maclean's magazine, in association with the Dominion Institute, L'actualité and presenting sponsor Enbridge presented Kenney with the award for "Best Overall MP".[70]

Maclean's magazine named Kenney the "hardest working" MP of 2011, citing overwhelming support from all political parties who recognized Kenney's constant "20-hour work days" and "permanent 5 o'clock shadow."[71]

Kenney is one of the slimiest pricks in Canadian politics. He's a Harper right-hand-man, so I'd hope the party faithful, after seeing how rabidly Canada voted out Stephen Harper (I really feel people were voting against him, not the party in general), won't elect one of his cronies as leader. They really need someone more progressive if they're going to continue to compete....

Nice spin attempt here

@ctvwinnipeg: Premier Selinger says Liberal surge should unsettle Manitoba Conservative leader: Manitoba's premier says Cons... https://t.co/IlFiKCTPn7

Not really much spin. In the province the NDP number of seats didn't go down, but the conservatives did.

What he is neglecting of course is the the cons went down because Manitobans wanted change and still do. That doesn't help the NDP nor hurt the provincial Cons.

If anything it should bolster the provincial Liberals. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on who you ask) they are so disorganized that they likely won't be able to do anything about it.

I love this. The next generation is taking over, and the youth (see: non-Blue Hairs) vote carried the day. Nearly 70% voter turnout...massive upgrade....with the biggest upswing being in those Under-40, which is not the usual prime voter demographic. 

As a 1980 baby, I consider myself Gen-Y, right in the middle of the Gen-Xers and the Millennials, and I think our generation is starting to make some noise.

You sound like a lot of baby-boomers I know who voted for the first Trudeau in 1968.  They too felt that it was time for the younger generation to take over from the old guard, and the "Just Society" was the way to go.  They ended up being pretty disillusioned though in the end with how things worked out, and many I talk to regretted their decision.  I don't think that the expectations for Trudeau 2.0 are nearly as lofty as they were for the first one, and I also don't think this Trudeau will govern the same way.  He seems far more inclusive than his old man, and I hope I am right on that.

You sound like a lot of baby-boomers I know who voted for the first Trudeau in 1968.  They too felt that it was time for the younger generation to take over from the old guard, and the "Just Society" was the way to go.  They ended up being pretty disillusioned though in the end with how things worked out, and many I talk to regretted their decision.  I don't think that the expectations for Trudeau 2.0 are nearly as lofty as they were for the first one, and I also don't think this Trudeau will govern the same way.  He seems far more inclusive than his old man, and I hope I am right on that.

As Canadians now are much different than Canadians then.......

Nice spin attempt here

@ctvwinnipeg: Premier Selinger says Liberal surge should unsettle Manitoba Conservative leader: Manitoba's premier says Cons... https://t.co/IlFiKCTPn7

Not really much spin. In the province the NDP number of seats didn't go down, but the conservatives did.

What he is neglecting of course is the the cons went down because Manitobans wanted change and still do. That doesn't help the NDP nor hurt the provincial Cons.

If anything it should bolster the provincial Liberals. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on who you ask) they are so disorganized that they likely won't be able to do anything about it.

Actual con votes didn't drop a ton. If he thinks the liberal vote is somehow indicative of a turn away from provincial PC's he's kidding himself. But he knows. That's why its spin. He's sunk. And this result was bad for him.

I don't think so.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Kenney is one of the slimiest pricks in Canadian politics. He's a Harper right-hand-man, so I'd hope the party faithful, after seeing how rabidly Canada voted out Stephen Harper (I really feel people were voting against him, not the party in general), won't elect one of his cronies as leader. They really need someone more progressive if they're going to continue to compete....

I know nothing about Kenny, but

as you can see from some of the posters here, there are quite a few people who think Harper was excellent, and a great Prime MInister.

Therefore, they will probably also think Jason Kenny is acceptable.

I don't think we'll be seeing another PM from Alberta for quite a while.

I agree.

Today's young people are quite different from their boomer parents, and face a much more difficult,  uncertain future.

I heard an interview this am saying that the Liberals espouse proportional representation. I hope they bring it in. Too many people are unrepresented under the current system.

Nice spin attempt here

Actual con votes didn't drop a ton. If he thinks the liberal vote is somehow indicative of a turn away from provincial PC's he's kidding himself. But he knows. That's why its spin. He's sunk. And this result was bad for him.

I don't think there was any possible result in that election that changes the fact that he's sunk.  The only way the NDP stays in power provincially is if Pallister and the PC's have a huge implosion some how.  It's their election to lose at this point and the popularity of the NDP is so low that Pallister could go around slapping babies and still win.

That whooshing sound was the point going right over your head, Fraser.  How was it a snide remark towards your precious NDP?  And how would you know my intent better than me?  You're a real piece of work. lol

Lighten up, Francis.  It's over.

If you don't understand how this is a snide remark?

@CBCAlerts: #NDP Leader #TomMulcair speaking now, reacting to #elxn42 results. Has congratulated #Liberal Leader #JustinTrudeau. https://t.co/pxaPBDAXKn

@stephen_taylor: Mulcair thanks Harper for his service to the country.

Classy. More so than many of his supporters.

Then you have some kind of mild? version of aspergers

and for the record the tory's would have been my second choice in the election.

I know nothing about Kenny, but

as you can see from some of the posters here, there are quite a few people who think Harper was excellent, and a great Prime MInister.

Therefore, they will probably also think Jason Kenny is acceptable.

I don't think we'll be seeing another PM from Alberta for quite a while.

I agree.

Today's young people are quite different from their boomer parents, and face a much more difficult,  uncertain future.

I heard an interview this am saying that the Liberals espouse proportional representation. I hope they bring it in. Too many people are unrepresented under the current system.

The most obvious thing to keep in mind is the sheer volume of immigrants now compared to then and how society is so much more multi-cultural and, therefore, living life differently and expecting different things. It's a completely different landscape now, and today's PM has to understand and celebrate that. I think JPTs first speech, last night, hinted that he can be that guy...