Fire O'Shea

holoman

After the 5 -1 start last year, bombers are now 6 - 20. I'm not an advocate of firing coaches every year - and IMO if we keep this record going like it is, I believe O'Shea is on a three year(?) someone correct me if I'm wrong but give him a new OC and tell him, next year - if we don't make the playoffs, he won't be coming back as coach. I'd tell him that before TC even started so if he decided he didn't want to work under that pressure he could resign now.

I know most of you want him gone now (or at the end of the year) but other than Mike Benevides - who I don't think would be any better - I don't know who else you'd bring it.

Surround a rook head coach with veteran OC/DC.  Sound idea....unfortunately that ended up with the Bombers "playing safe" and spinning recycled trash in Marcel and Etch   Still stuck with Marcel, for that matter.

Walters stays.....have MOS return with a new OC and a ST coach, he can delegate stuff to ......and see how that goes.

At lot of decisons will have to be made about our identity on O, as well - other than say running shotgun packages, with a C who can't make the snap...or having every run play look like some form of a stretch play.  New OC is a must.

If they don't extend O'Shea, at least for one more year, we will likely be narrowing the pool of OC's that will consider coming here.  So after the season's done, if Walters is still here and not gone on to Guelph, he's going to either have to offer O'Shea an extension or let him go.  I can't really see status quo as an option.  And if a new GM comes in, then we clean house once again and all this is moot.

I see a team who hasn't given up yet... they have played pretty well the last 2 weeks, they aren't quitting on their coach that's for sure. This week will be interesting because it's a very important game, we win and we have the season series with BC and are tied in wins then too, BC still has a game in hand tho but as crazy as it sounds, if we win this week vs BC we still have a chance, this is basically the season, a loss and it's next year ville, a win and who knows, stranger things have happened... could 6-12 get them in? It just might... and that's crazy... 

I'd give MOS an extension this off-season, but 1 with a condition and that condition is to fire Bellefeuille either during our last bye week (if we are eliminated by then) or the minute the season ends. Really does seem like it is the O that has been holding the team back a bit, the D has been good, the Special teams, they are good and they are bad, theres improvements there, the O tho, it's really the same stuff since last year... square pegs in round holes, not using our guys to the best of their abilities, no run game, not even trying to establish a run game even and when we do try too, it's the same run up the middle and get stuffed type of things... 

Give MOS an extension, Fire MB... release picard and bucknor this off-season, along with Brohm and a few others... and go spend some cash on at least one olineman and see what happens. I don't think we are as far off as some like to think we are... i think you change the OC and you see a huge difference. It's Montreal 2007 all over again. 

There is absolutely no way you extend the guy in the off season, that's just rewarding failure. You wait till next year and see how things go, you can always extend him then or just let it play out.

And then how do you propose we attract a top notch OC?  No one with any brains is going to take a job when he knows that the HC has only one year left and hasn't been extended.  That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Attracting a "top notch OC' is a pipe dream, otherwise we would have done that the same time Etch was let go. Look at past history, we extended Berry and got saddled with Cartwright, we extended Lapo and got saddled with Crowton. There is no precedence in the Bombers to back up what you are suggesting.

Is Khari much of an upgrade if any over Bellefeuille tho? I get the Khari love, and he'd definitely be on my list of possible OC's but i'm not sure if he'd be number 1 or even 2 on that list. 

Really not sure who is out there but...

I'd talk to Howell,Khari, maybe a guy like Damon Allen... Lapolice would be of interest if he was willing to  be OC here, where he lives. Khari is probably 2 or 3 on the list... I don't think he'd be much of an upgrade over Marcel. 

Also will need a new special teams coach.... the guy i'd talk to for that... Noel Prefontaine, helped out here in the pre-season. He'd be a guy on my radar for special teams coach. 

Attracting a "top notch OC' is a pipe dream, otherwise we would have done that the same time Etch was let go. Look at past history, we extended Berry and got saddled with Cartwright, we extended Lapo and got saddled with Crowton. There is no precedence in the Bombers to back up what you are suggesting.

When Etch was let go, we got Hall.  I'd consider that to be a huge upgrade.  Think Hall would have signed on if O'Shea had been heading into his last year with no extension?  I highly doubt it.

We could have hired a top notch OC at that time like you suggest, but I don't think he'd have had a lot of success running the defense.  If you don't extend O'Shea, you have almost zero chance of hiring the best OC available.  That means you end up with people at the MB level of ability.  Think we'll be any better in 2016 with that?

If they think that O'Shea is worth keeping around, then they can offer him a one year extension.  They risk very little doing that and the chances of us getting a better OC increase.  If they don't want to offer his the extension, then fire him now and be done with it.  I really don't think there is a third option here.

Couldnt the opposite be true?  If you're an OC with dreams of a HC gig playing under a HC that could be fired... 

I could totally see Wade wanting Khari here and him being the guy promoted to Interim HC if MOS got canned mid-season.

Yea, that's the ticket.  Hire a guy with dubious OC credentials and hope that he'll be ever better as a HC.  That's some smart football thinking there all right.