[MERGED] Drew Willy Watch And Fine Discussion

Matty doesn't think Willy had a concussion, but no one's accusing him of being a doctor.  Friesen's not the antichrist today because his article says what folks around here want to hear. Good news all round.

Matty's like the rest of us.  A fan who has an opinion on what happened, just like everyone who knows Willy didn't have a concussion and everyone who knows he did.  Willy's the only one who actually knows.

Yes Matty's exactly like the rest of us. I know I enjoy spending the CFL offseason travelling around Canada lecturing in partnership with Charles Tator, my co-founder of ThinkFirst, which is a national concussion awareness group. Oh wait...that's not me that's Matty. I guess maybe his opinion on the matter should carry a little more weight than the average joe. Especially when it directly contradicts his own partner, Charles Tator.

Matty may not be a doctor, but his work over the past several years with ThinkFIrst and his close partnership with Tator, has to be considered as making him as close to an expert as one can get without a medical degree. Unless, of course, TB...you have spent hundreds of hours lecturing on the subject yourself?

Couple that with Dr. McDonald's expertise, the Bomber training staff, and a neurologist's assessment and I find it hard to believe that anyone could still cling to the belief that the Bombers are putting Willy under any extra amount of peril by playing this weekend.

Matty doesn't think Willy had a concussion, but no one's accusing him of being a doctor.  Friesen's not the antichrist today because his article says what folks around here want to hear. Good news all round.

Matty's like the rest of us.  A fan who has an opinion on what happened, just like everyone who knows Willy didn't have a concussion and everyone who knows he did.  Willy's the only one who actually knows.

Oh please, Dunigan is more than a fan. I think he knows a thing or two about hits to the head and QB mental awareness with his background.  I'd take his opinion with a little more salt over anyone here. 

Just a quick note on that particular idiom: generally, the more salt, the less you trust.  So saying that you take his opinion with more salt means you trust his opinion less than others! 

Well dang, I had no idea.  Thanks for sharing. Fixed my post. 

I like this quote: from the same source,

"But I don't think that was the case with Drew. Talking to Drew, I have no question in my mind that he's 100% and ready to go.”

And he says the Bombers handled the situation “phenomenally,” “erring on the side of caution” by keeping Willy from returning to the game."

How they got Matt Dunigan to lie, we'll never know.

But Dunigan isn't a doctor so his opinion to some here is moo.. ;)

He's not a doctor, but has been extremely outspoken concerning concussions and the way they are treated. I highly doubt that Dunigan would ever speak this positively about Willy's injury if he had even the slightest doubt about it. True, he isn't a doctor, but he certainly has a lot of knowledge and experience with the subject. I think that it's pretty safe to say that Willy is just fine. The fact that he wasn't diagnosed with a concussion is great news.

Oh I know.. I was just fooolin' :) I'd trust dunigans opinion on cucussions and his overall feeling on the situation as he is one player who definitely has seen his fair share of head shots and doctors. Different era, sure but I have a feeling this whole thing is something he cares about.. QB safety and TBI..

Just like Friesen's previous article said what you wanted to hear, because it was negative.

It wasn't what I wanted to hear actually and I didn't bring it up even once, but don't let the facts get in the way of your hate.

Hate? Wow. I don't think Kelowna or anyone actually hates you burg.

Matt Dunigan is totally unlike the rest of us. He's got far more knowledge into the subject than anyone here...even you.

Matt Dunigan is totally unlike the rest of us. He's got far more knowledge into the subject than anyone here...even you.

And yet you all discount the doctor he has partnered with for ThinkFirst.  Too funny.  Believe what you want to believe.

Just like Friesen's previous article said what you wanted to hear, because it was negative.

It wasn't what I wanted to hear actually and I didn't bring it up even once, but don't let the facts get in the way of your hate.

Hate? Wow. I don't think Kelowna or anyone actually hates you burg.

of course not, but "hate" sounds much more dramatic, especially if you are vying for the title of forum martyr.  It was no different during the teachers' strike here in BC last year.  If you didn't 100% support every single facet of the BCTF's demands, then somehow you hated all teachers.  There was no middle ground.  Martyr complex.

And yet you all discount the doctor he has partnered with for ThinkFirst.  Too funny.  Believe what you want to believe.

I don't discount what he's saying, but he's got three things working against him in my opinion.

1 - he's a defendant in Arland Bruce's lawsuit - no doubt he's going out of his way to speak up in favor of precaution at all costs while his case is ongoing

2 - he's one of the biggest proponents out there of ridding the world of contact sports altogether - agenda much?

3 - he's never met Drew Willy, let alone had a chance to diagnose him

I'm not part of the "you all" comment you just made. I've said nothing for, or against said doctor. But the simple fact that Dunigan was partnered with him makes him that much more credible because that would give him more information to base his own conclusions on. That's only common sense.

I take no issue with Matty's comments but his experience with concussions are not necessarily the same as those of others. Moreover, if a medical doctor does harm by glossing over a serious diagnosis, s/he will be the subject of an investigation by the College of Physicians and Surgeons. Should there be evidence of gross negligence and/or incompetence, there will be one, some or all of: retraining, ongoing supervision by the College or loss of a licence to practice, temporarily or permanently. There can also be lawsuits- that is why almost 30% of all medical doctors' income in the US goes to paying malpractice insurance. So, bottom line: not very freaking likely that a doctor is going to rush an athlete into a premature return.

I don't discount what he's saying, but he's got three things working against him in my opinion.

1 - he's a defendant in Arland Bruce's lawsuit - no doubt he's going out of his way to speak up in favor of precaution at all costs while his case is ongoing

2 - he's one of the biggest proponents out there of ridding the world of contact sports altogether - agenda much?

3 - he's never met Drew Willy, let alone had a chance to diagnose him

If I suffered a severe concussion, Charles Tator would be the man I would want wearing the white robe. No doubt about it. He is a brilliant physician. That does not, however, change the fact that he has some pretty extreme views when it comes to concussions and sport. He is a passionate man on the subject and sometimes lets his passion over ride his intelligence by making off the cuff remarks. At the end of the day though, he did exactly what he wanted to do...he turned the conversation into one about player safety after a head injury. His credibility takes some lumps when he makes an unwashed diagnosis, I think that is a trade off that he is obviously willing to make to advance his agenda.

Martyr? Me? Hardly.  

I didn't know that Matty traveled with Dr. Tator in the offseason.  Thanks for the info, but you can keep the attitude gcn.  

I use the word hate because folks around here constantly attribute things to me that I never said then go on to complain about it.  For examples: I never said that Willy has a concussion.  The closest was that I think Willy was knocked out cold (Before he even hit the ground) and that he has good reason to say he wasn't knocked out.  I never mentioned Friesen's article, yet KBF calls me out on it.  I never suggested I was a doctor or that I know more than the doctors or that I could diagnose concussions from a TV feed, yet some folks would have you believe that everyone who preaches caution is pretending to be. Funnily, they don't see it in themselves when they diagnose non-concussion from their TV set.  When I'm negative, I'll happily own it, but that's not the case this time.

I've been knocked out several times, but I'm from the generation where you were give smelling salts, told to shake the cobwebs off and get back into the game.  I've never had any headaches, nausea or other concussion like symptoms afterwards (unless going blind in one eye for a while is a symptom).  I've never been diagnosed with a concussion, but my guess is that I've had one or two.

You want a doctor to say it was probably a concussion, call Dr. Tator.  I don't know if his 'extreme' views come from dealing with the results of concussed patients or if he always disliked contact sports  You want a doctor to to say it wasn't a concussion, call a Bomber doctor.  Both see things from a different perspective and both have their view and their own motives.  I give more weight to the doctors who've actually seen Willy, but I don't think either are infallible.  Folks around here want to believe the Bombers doctor is right, which is fine, but to pretend he doesn't have his own motives or that his opinion is the only one who matters is disingenuous.

Matty, an ex player who's had his share of concussions talks to Willy about a week after the incident doesn't think he was concussed.  (I'd hope Willy would be symptom free by now or else putting him in would be really stupid.)   Folks rejoice because he's saying what they want to hear.  I'm pretty sure if Matty was saying he thought Willy had a concussion he'd be in the same boat that they've put Shultzy in.  An ex-player who doesn't know anything and who can possibly be able to tell anything other than Willy was obviously not concussed from the TV screen. BTW:  I take no issue with Matty's comments, I only take issue with those who think it's the only correct point of view.

Freisen, to his credit (Flame away), gave both sides of the argument in his columns this week.  Dr. Tator's and Matt Dunigan's. The first time there was a lot of flak about how terrible a reporter he is.  The second time there's no flak because it's what folks want to hear.  IMO, the truth isn't black and white so the truth is probably somewhere in between the two extreme views.

For the record... I'd still err on the side of caution, even though Willy seems to be symptom free.

Seems like a lot of backtracking after all the pot stirring you've done all week.

I'm not going to go back and look at everything you said, but you've known all week what you were doing. To say now that you didn't *say* something exactly the way it's being regurgitated is ridiculous, you were making implication after implication after implication and you knew what you were doing then just as you know now.

Seems like a lot of backtracking after all the pot stirring you've done all week.

I'm not going to go back and look at everything you said, but you've known all week what you were doing. To say now that you didn't *say* something exactly the way it's being regurgitated is ridiculous, you were making implication after implication after implication and you knew what you were doing then just as you know now.

Not backtracking at all Mike.  If you actually went back and read what I type instead of reading into what I type, you'd know that.  

I never mentioned Friesen's article, yet KBF calls me out on it.

TBurg post only ONE PAGE earlier:

Friesen's not the antichrist today because his article says what folks around here want to hear.

Good grief.  This is really getting ridiculous.

Good grief indeed.  That's about the second Friesen article, not the first one.  If you read the entire post instead of cutting one line out it reads as follows:

As you can see, you're calling me out on the previous article, not the one I mentioned.

Good post TBurgess; I at the moment believe that Willy was not concussed but at the same time agree it is not black nor white; there is an in between but I am also not a doctor so would trust those whom were closest to the issue to what they say; but agree that they are not perfect and could be wrong.

We have also seen a lot of swing on both this forum and the other about if he was concussed or if he wasn't and the freisen post;  friesen this time did at least post both sides of the argument even though he normally seems like an air head

Willy was 20-29 for 251. Not terrific but wow those are good stats for having a concussion ;) in all seriousness Willy looked good. Made good reads, scrambled when he had too and took some big hits. I think we can put the concussion to bed?

Remember when Goltz/Hall was our starting QB? We would have killed for those numbers. We've come a long ways when those numbers are "meh".

Can't remember who said it on tsn. Miller or Matty D but apparently an Alouettes player was diagnosed with a concussion last week and still played last night. Willy wasn't diagnosed with a concussion and played last night yet all the talk all week was about willy and not the als player who actually did have a concussion. Kind of interesting how things work like that. Is it cuz QB vs non QB? If so that's an odd way of looking at things

Can't remember who said it on tsn. Miller or Matty D but apparently an Alouettes player was diagnosed with a concussion last week and still played last night. Willy wasn't diagnosed with a concussion and played last night yet all the talk all week was about willy and not the als player who actually did have a concussion. Kind of interesting how things work like that. Is it cuz QB vs non QB? If so that's an odd way of looking at things

Not to mention the fact that the games were 8 days apart.  I always thought a week off after any concussion symptoms have stopped is kind of standard.