Brian Brohm has ...

Well, I think the problem is well, sorry to be frank guys but he's 29 years old and he's a BACKUP in the CFL. That says it all right there. And like I say, no offense, I'm a CFL fan just like in hockey there are ECHL fans, but because you're a fan of the league, doesn't make the league anything more than a bush league.

Tonight wouldn't have mattered if we had Warren Moon in his prime back there - Willy, after the first drive, was ineffective and I was thinking 'here's the Willy that closed the season' coming back just right before he took that hellacious hit. Cannot anyone on our offense be smart enough to figure out how to block? I don't blame Willy as he was starting to feel the pressure of the defense and it got worse when  Brohm went it. Oh well, another year of typical CFL football - can't wait for September and the start of Hockey season lol

I don't see it... Brohm is a career backup for a reason - hike, drop, pause, telegraph, pause, throw...  same in Hammie

You think Noel Thorpe is a gimme?  Yeah right.  Brohm will get destroyed, a shell-shocked Willy might win or... end his career.

I'm just hoping the Als O can't put up more than 14 points.

Brohm is the best backup QB we've had since Pat Barnes.  The irrational love affair with Marve is just silly.  Just look at what happened when he had a chance to pass, granted it's one play, but it's an option read pass play and he was so indecisive between deciding to run or pass that he just about handed the Tabbies 2 free points.  Marve is not ready to play and everyone has the book on him.  Just look at how Hamilton played him at the end of the pre-season game, fill the gaps with a delayed rush and make him use his brain and his arm.  Marve will be the next guy under the bus if he gets a shot.  He's got potential, but if we're looking at him to play this season we are screwed and so is he.  Brohm gives us a chance to win, and it was good to see him pull the team out of the stunned stagger it was in after Willy went out.

Bellefeuille called a real shitty game both protection wise and in terms of attacking the blitz.  No screens in behind the blitz, no draws, only a few flat footed screens to wide receivers in the 2nd half.  Really poor gameplan and basically no adjustments until halftime.  Should not take that long to make those adjustments in protection, even if it is to go into max protect and leave 7 blockers in.  Only took our QB getting killed and Brohm getting rocked about 3 times before the end of the 1st half to make that adjustment.  I didn't think Brohm would survive that half either.  Would be nice if Picard could make a block when he gets isolated too, but it's been 9 years and he still can't manage that.  Cotton is a hell of a player, but featuring him in the downfield passing game is clearly going to lead to turnovers.  Sask dropped a gimme INT on a downfield pass to him in Regina, and Stewart got a touchdown off one today that Cotton barely even waved at.  Bellefeuille needs to do better than what he did tonight.

Thank you. That was one of the worst called games from Marcel. All hamilton did last week was blitz....why didn't we game plan for it? No screens???? Wtf???? No draws? No passes to the flats...it was laughable. As good of game as he called last week....this week was as bad. He needs to get his **** together.

Lol. Such anger from you. It's pretty sad. 1-1 and the vultures come out. QB hurt and vultures come out. This place is crazy after a loss. Giddy after wins. Crazy after losses.

That wasn't just another loss, and combine that with the TSN stat that we haven't had a winning record ( or even close ) at home its very concerning.

I understand the team was rattled after Willy was knocked out but they got humiliated at HOME so not just a lost .. It will be interesting to see 

they respond ( and important ) in the next game...

Brohm is the best backup QB we've had since Pat Barnes.  The irrational love affair with Marve is just silly.  Just look at what happened when he had a chance to pass, granted it's one play, but it's an option read pass play and he was so indecisive between deciding to run or pass that he just about handed the Tabbies 2 free points.  Marve is not ready to play and everyone has the book on him.  Just look at how Hamilton played him at the end of the pre-season game, fill the gaps with a delayed rush and make him use his brain and his arm.  Marve will be the next guy under the bus if he gets a shot.  He's got potential, but if we're looking at him to play this season we are screwed and so is he.  Brohm gives us a chance to win, and it was good to see him pull the team out of the stunned stagger it was in after Willy went out.

Bellefeuille called a real shitty game both protection wise and in terms of attacking the blitz.  No screens in behind the blitz, no draws, only a few flat footed screens to wide receivers in the 2nd half.  Really poor gameplan and basically no adjustments until halftime.  Should not take that long to make those adjustments in protection, even if it is to go into max protect and leave 7 blockers in.  Only took our QB getting killed and Brohm getting rocked about 3 times before the end of the 1st half to make that adjustment.  I didn't think Brohm would survive that half either.  Would be nice if Picard could make a block when he gets isolated too, but it's been 9 years and he still can't manage that.  Cotton is a hell of a player, but featuring him in the downfield passing game is clearly going to lead to turnovers.  Sask dropped a gimme INT on a downfield pass to him in Regina, and Stewart got a touchdown off one today that Cotton barely even waved at.  Bellefeuille needs to do better than what he did tonight.

The love that you have for Brohm is silly and unwarranted. Pretty much every one of his throws today were off the mark and weak. I mean... 146 yards on 28 attempts with 2 interceptions and 0 touchdowns is just indefensible. He was awful in every sense of the word, and has been every step of the way so far, save for half a game against Calgary last year.

By the way, that was Marve's first "turnover" in all of his preseason + regular season reps so far, and it appeared to be a total fluke. Brohm has committed three interceptions, one fumble and another fumble wiped out by penalty in his limited regular season reps alone.

The way I see it is... Brohm is awful and has zero upside, while Marve has potential, and should be given more reps otherwise we'll never know what we have in him.

Thank-you JBR for some sanity in this thread. I don't get the Brohm hate around here. Marve would have reacted differently to the blitz for sure. And it would have been very ugly. But our QBs - all of them - could use a co-ordinator like Tommy Condell who called a great game for Collaros and Co.

Nobody is saying he was the reason, so shut up already.

We are saying he has no business being a cfl qb.

exactly. its like when pavelec gets lits up.

Hold on. Your saying pavelec isn't an NHL calibre goalie? He was one of the chechs World Cup and Olympic goalies.,.. As in ONE OF THE BEST IN THEIR ENTIRE COUNTRY.

But no, your right.. Definitely no business in the NHL.

Lol. Such anger from you. It's pretty sad. 1-1 and the vultures come out. QB hurt and vultures come out. This place is crazy after a loss. Giddy after wins. Crazy after losses.

*cough*cough* mike kelly *cough*cough*. Bi-polar..

Thank-you JBR for some sanity in this thread. I don't get the Brohm hate around here. Marve would have reacted differently to the blitz for sure. And it would have been very ugly. But our QBs - all of them - could use a co-ordinator like Tommy Condell who called a great game for Collaros and Co.

Well, it's too bad you never got the chance to be proven right...

You're correct, Marve probably would have had such a hard time beating Brohm's passer rating of 41.67.

I'd have liked to see Marve get some second half garbage time reps but I don't think it would have made any difference at all. He has potential it seems but... I feel he might have looked lost out there against that pressure D

I'd have liked to see Marve get some second half garbage time reps but I don't think it would have made any difference at all. He has potential it seems but... I feel he might have looked lost out there against that pressure D

He couldn't have looked any more lost than Brohm, that's for sure.

Figure out how to get this D to gel, and it'll go along way to helping the entire team look better. Brohm wasn't great, but he also didn't practice with the 1s all week, and never got a chance to specifically prep for Hammy. Give him a week of prep for Montreal, and a half assed D performance, and things'll look different...

Brohm is the best backup QB we've had since Pat Barnes. The irrational love affair with Marve is just silly. Just look at what happened when he had a chance to pass, granted it's one play, but it's an option read pass play and he was so indecisive between deciding to run or pass that he just about handed the Tabbies 2 free points. Marve is not ready to play and everyone has the book on him. Just look at how Hamilton played him at the end of the pre-season game, fill the gaps with a delayed rush and make him use his brain and his arm. Marve will be the next guy under the bus if he gets a shot. He's got potential, but if we're looking at him to play this season we are screwed and so is he. Brohm gives us a chance to win, and it was good to see him pull the team out of the stunned stagger it was in after Willy went out.

Bellefeuille called a real shitty game both protection wise and in terms of attacking the blitz. No screens in behind the blitz, no draws, only a few flat footed screens to wide receivers in the 2nd half. Really poor gameplan and basically no adjustments until halftime. Should not take that long to make those adjustments in protection, even if it is to go into max protect and leave 7 blockers in. Only took our QB getting killed and Brohm getting rocked about 3 times before the end of the 1st half to make that adjustment. I didn't think Brohm would survive that half either. Would be nice if Picard could make a block when he gets isolated too, but it's been 9 years and he still can't manage that. Cotton is a hell of a player, but featuring him in the downfield passing game is clearly going to lead to turnovers. Sask dropped a gimme INT on a downfield pass to him in Regina, and Stewart got a touchdown off one today that Cotton barely even waved at. Bellefeuille needs to do better than what he did tonight.

I have a lot of respect for your football knowledge. That being said, I have been watching CFL football for 40 years or so. Brohm is awful. Marve has more innate talent then i've seen in any quarterback in the CFL since Tom Clements or Matt Dunigan. He was born to play in this league. If the Winnipeg coaches can't see that, it will cost them their jobs.

Brohm is the best backup QB we've had since Pat Barnes. The irrational love affair with Marve is just silly. Just look at what happened when he had a chance to pass, granted it's one play, but it's an option read pass play and he was so indecisive between deciding to run or pass that he just about handed the Tabbies 2 free points. Marve is not ready to play and everyone has the book on him. Just look at how Hamilton played him at the end of the pre-season game, fill the gaps with a delayed rush and make him use his brain and his arm. Marve will be the next guy under the bus if he gets a shot. He's got potential, but if we're looking at him to play this season we are screwed and so is he. Brohm gives us a chance to win, and it was good to see him pull the team out of the stunned stagger it was in after Willy went out.

Bellefeuille called a real shitty game both protection wise and in terms of attacking the blitz. No screens in behind the blitz, no draws, only a few flat footed screens to wide receivers in the 2nd half. Really poor gameplan and basically no adjustments until halftime. Should not take that long to make those adjustments in protection, even if it is to go into max protect and leave 7 blockers in. Only took our QB getting killed and Brohm getting rocked about 3 times before the end of the 1st half to make that adjustment. I didn't think Brohm would survive that half either. Would be nice if Picard could make a block when he gets isolated too, but it's been 9 years and he still can't manage that. Cotton is a hell of a player, but featuring him in the downfield passing game is clearly going to lead to turnovers. Sask dropped a gimme INT on a downfield pass to him in Regina, and Stewart got a touchdown off one today that Cotton barely even waved at. Bellefeuille needs to do better than what he did tonight.

I have a lot of respect for your football knowledge. That being said, I have been watching CFL football for 40 years or so. Brohm is awful. Marve has more innate talent then i've seen in any quarterback in the CFL since Tom Clements or Matt Dunigan. He was born to play in this league. If the Winnipeg coaches can't see that, it will cost them their jobs.

That's insane hyperbole.  You think Marve has more talent than a guy like Collaros?  Marve has shown very little to get excited about as a quarterback at this point is his career, even going back to NCAA.  He's always been a guy with tools but no toolbox, and that's where I'd still put him based on what we saw in pre-season.  If a QB can't stand and deliver at even a basic level of consistency, he has no chance to beat a pro defense or even a high level NCAA one.  There's a difference between guys like Collaros who improvise at times but stay on time in terms of reads and progressions the majority of the time and a guy like Marve who takes one look downfield and panics, either "scrambles" or tosses a ball with his lower body in constant motion killing his accuracy regardless of how big his arm is.  Marve is still very far away from being an effective CFL QB, the tools are there, I'll agree with that, but that's about 1/3 of what a good QB needs.

Marve would have got killed tonight.  There's a difference between running ability and mobility in the pocket, and that difference is an intelligence Marve doesn't have yet.  Would have been more exciting for sure, but running away from your blocks when 6-7 guys are coming consistently is not effective.