Brian Brohm has ...

MB goes way b4 O'shea. The play calling was the issue with brohm last night. It really was. No run game at all. MB rthrew Brohm out in the deep end without a life jacket really. New QB comes in and all you see is pass pass pass pass pass. Should have been more of a hell 50 50 mix even of run and pass but was more like 99 to 1 percent. The O play calling did Brohm no favours at all. He wasn't good but at the same time his OC was just awful. Willy got the head shot but imo MB and Hall had concusions b4 the game started

Oh yeah that's right..so he calls running plays and they don't succeed against a hot Hamilton defence...you and most others would be up his ass for calling running plays when they are so far behind. Almost every offensive coordinator calls passing plays to try and get back in the game...that's the only way to try and score quickly!

MB goes way b4 O'shea. The play calling was the issue with brohm last night. It really was. No run game at all. MB rthrew Brohm out in the deep end without a life jacket really. New QB comes in and all you see is pass pass pass pass pass. Should have been more of a hell 50 50 mix even of run and pass but was more like 99 to 1 percent. The O play calling did Brohm no favours at all. He wasn't good but at the same time his OC was just awful. Willy got the head shot but imo MB and Hall had concusions b4 the game started

Oh yeah that's right..so he calls running plays and they don't succeed against a hot Hamilton defence...you and most others would be up his ass for calling running plays when they are so far behind. Almost every offensive coordinator calls passing plays to try and get back in the game...that's the only way to try and score quickly!

They had 3 Q's to try to catch up or at least keep pace and it was obvious that the pass only approach was not working and rarely does.  Time is not their biggest problem if they aren't being productive.

I would like to see the Bombers revert to a default strategy when the O is struggling in an attempt to stabilize the situation.  This would put less emphasis on the QB's talents and focus on the running game by playing Cotton, Marshall and a FB at the same time pounding the ball down the field.  A blitz intensive team like Hamilton could be vulnerable to this attack especially if Cotton can break through the first line into the secondary. 

Hopefully over time this attack would loosen up the passing lanes so that they could return to a more balanced attack once the reeling stopped.  A positive side effect would be giving the D more time off the field to rest and regroup.

Yep...that will definitely get a win when they are so far behind. What they need is a backup QB who doesn't throw the ball into the dirt or up high, and doesn't flutter the ball to the receivers. Someone who actually has some skills and is the legitimate QB in waiting.

They had 3 Q's to try to catch up or at least keep pace and it was obvious that the pass only approach was not working and rarely does.  Time is not their biggest problem if they aren't being productive.

I would like to see the Bombers revert to a default strategy when the O is struggling in an attempt to stabilize the situation.  This would put less emphasis on the QB's talents and focus on the running game by playing Cotton, Marshall and a FB at the same time pounding the ball down the field.  A blitz intensive team like Hamilton could be vulnerable to this attack especially if Cotton can break through the first line into the secondary. 

Hopefully over time this attack would loosen up the passing lanes so that they could return to a more balanced attack once the reeling stopped.  A positive side effect would be giving the D more time off the field to rest and regroup.

Yep...that will definitely get a win when they are so far behind. What they need is a backup QB who doesn't throw the ball into the dirt or up high, and doesn't flutter the ball to the receivers. Someone who actually has some skills and is the legitimate QB in waiting.

It's not intended to get them the win, it's intended to temporarily stop the bleeding so that they can regroup and get some momentum back.  Throwing desperately and achieving futility is not a recipe for winning football either.

It's not intended to get them the win, it's intended to temporarily stop the bleeding so that they can regroup and get some momentum back.  Throwing desperately and achieving futility is not a recipe for winning football either.

If you have a competent backup there is no need for throwing desperately. Virtually every offensive coordinator in the league for ages...when they get that far behind, abandon the running game. In some cases it means a comeback and a last minute win. I'm not saying that's what the bombers would have achieved on this particular night...all phases of the game were the ..... but to come down on Bellfeuille for only doing what makes sense is ridiculous. 

It was 17-7 really when Brohm was put in, It's the CFL... stick to your game plan but unfortunately that game plan seemed to include no running game cuz when willy was in, we weren't running it either. No running game = You are done really.  Especially when your backup who got like no reps during the week is in the game, help him out, put him in a position to be a success out there instead of having him stand back there throwing pass after pass after pass after pass. 

If I could read MOS's mind.  I think was  trying to find out what Brohm could do if he had to start this week.  Yanking him in the 4th would do nothing for his psyche

plus the game was over by then anyway and why not leave him in so he could get more reps. 

I may be in the minority here but I'm not as sold on Marve as many of you are. 

Honestly, anyone watch that game last night? Montreal... pretty much 50/50 in terms of running and passing. It helped the rookie QB out big time. He looked good  but he got a lot of help from his receivers and lots of help from his OC who didn't try to make him do too much. I feel Brohm or Marve, regardless of who it is, if they aren't gonna be helped out by their OC , well they are doomed really. Doesn't matter who plays if the game plan is awful and the game plan when Brohm came in, it was awful. Too much pass pass pass, not enough run. Would i have been pissed if they tried to run the ball more? Nope, i would have been happy cuz that's what you do to try to control the blitz, you run the ball a bit, cotton or marshall gets by that first wave and they have daylight in front of them.. I never understood why we kept trying to pass the ball so much, it wasn't working at all, and no it's not just because of Brohm, it's because Hamilton kept sending the blitz cuz they knew we weren't gonna even both trying to run the ball. The game plan even when Willy was in was awful, That ticat player might have injured willy but you got to give an assist to MB because he was the guy that kept calling plays to make willy sit in the pocket like a sitting duck. No run game help at all, we had what/ 13 runs i think for 69 yards? That's not a terrible average there actually, but it should of have been more like 25 runs instead, Running not only helps to control the blitz, it also allows the oline to engage, instead of moving backwards or standing still they get to move forward and take some people out. 

The run game worked so well week 1, we got away from it. 25 pass 25 run and we win... 13 runs and like 30 plus passes, we lose. 

If I could read MOS's mind.  I think was  trying to find out what Brohm could do if he had to start this week.  Yanking him in the 4th would do nothing for his psyche

plus the game was over by then anyway and why not leave him in so he could get more reps. 

I may be in the minority here but I'm not as sold on Marve as many of you are. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I want to see Marve start is I want to see what he can do, not because I'm sold on him. I got to spend a bit of time in training camp last year, and from watching him throw wanted to see him get some meaningful time last year which he didn't. That's carried over to this year, still curious about his ability.

On the other hand, getting to see Brohm play hasn't sold me on him. So I'd prefer to see Marve get a chance.

So people wanting to see Marve play I think has as much or more to do with not wanting to see Brohm on the field as it does with being sold on Marve as a better option.

It was mind boggling why MB abandoned the run game as soon as Brohm came in to the game.  You'd think that the run game might have produced a few first downs. Which would have been a confidence builder for Brohm but also the entire offence.  It looked like MB panicked and felt like he needed to score right away. 

That was a poor coaching decision. 

Ideally you pass the ball as much as you run it, it's called a balanced attack, it keeps D's honest.. week 1, 25 pass, 25 run... we win. 

Week 2.. 13 runs, 30 plus passes we lose. 

People refer to the CFL as a passing league, and it might be but at the same time, if you don't even try to run the ball, you are done done done.

MB'S play calling week 1 was awesome, week 2 it was complete and utter crap. 

It was mind boggling why MB abandoned the run game as soon as Brohm came in to the game.  You'd think that the run game might have produced a few first downs. Which would have been a confidence builder for Brohm but also the entire offence.  It looked like MB panicked and felt like he needed to score right away. 

That was a poor coaching decision. 

Totally agree.  When you have weapons like Cotton and Marshall...YOU USE THEM MB!!!

Bellefeuille probably planned to counter the Ticats stellar d-line by passing the ball more. That's reactive game planning, and not the sign of a winner. If you're a championship team, you impose your will on the other team, regardless of what they're doing. I see the logic in why Bellefeuille might have planned that, but it's the approach of a loser.

And with our new and improved OL, we shouldn't be afraid to run the ball against anyone.

Expecting a 50-50 split between the run and pass game in the CFL is asinine.  It's the CFL - a three-down league.  

If you run it on first down and only gain a few yards then you pretty much are guaranteed to pass on second.  You also can't consistently run on first down drive after drive.  Most players and D-coordinators will quickly recognize this and adjust accordingly unless either is completely incapable or incompetent.  A realistic scenario over the course of the season would be 33-35 passes and 20 - 22 rushes and those rushes would include a few QB sneaks.

Only rarely will you see a 50-50 split in a CFL game.  That happens when the O-Line is dominating the line of scrimmage allowing the running back to gain 5+yards every play...and it usually happens when the team running ball has a substantial lead.  It's simply not a viable option if the running back is gaining less than 5 yards on first down or failing to capitilize on second and short (say 3 yards or less) stalling a drive.

I'm afraid if you want to see a 50-50 split between running and passing on a semi-consistent basis then you will need to watch the NFL.  4 downs allows much more flexibility with the run-pass split especially on second down.

last week we had 25 runs and 25 passes. Montreal was similar last night. 35 passes probably means you are down big. 

My point is you cannot expect that on a regular basis especially with all the penalties being called on passing plays (not necessarily pass interference by the way) which artificially decreases the number of real passing plays in a game.  Also, as I stated in my previous quote, you will only see a 50-50 split if the opposing defense and coordinator are incapable or incompetent in stopping the run.  This was the case with Saskatchewan last week.

So when the Bombers have a 60-40 or 65-35 split in favor of the passing game for the majority of their games this season, don't start crying about them not running enough.  A team normally cannot run on first down every time as it's entirely to predictable nor can they  run on second and long as it's a low percentage play for a first down.  This necessitates a stronger emphasis on the passing game.  Add in the fact that we have a QB who is one of the weakest scramblers in the league and you should probably not expect to see more than 20 - 22 runs in a game.

last week we had 25 runs and 25 passes. Montreal was similar last night. 35 passes probably means you are down big. 

My point is you cannot expect that on a regular basis especially with all the penalties being called on passing plays (not necessarily pass interference by the way) which artificially decreases the number of real passing plays in a game.  Also, as I stated in my previous quote, you will only see a 50-50 split if the opposing defense and coordinator are incapable or incompetent in stopping the run.  This was the case with Saskatchewan last week.

So when the Bombers have a 60-40 or 65-35 split in favor of the passing game for the majority of their games this season, don't start crying about them not running enough.  A team normally cannot run on first down every time as it's entirely to predictable nor can they  run on second and long as it's a low percentage play for a first down.  This necessitates a stronger emphasis on the passing game.  Add in the fact that we have a QB who is one of the weakest scramblers in the league and you should probably not expect to see more than 20 - 22 runs in a game.

It does make a difference if your leading rusher is averaging 7-8 yds. per carry.

It does make a difference if your leading rusher is averaging 7-8 yds. per carry.

He won't if you run every first down.