Penton: Bombers are "talking to" Lin-J Shell (update: added to PR)

Mike

Another old former Argo...pass...

Agreed the only former Argos worth picking up so far has been JFG the others have been busts ( Romby B,. EJ etc ) ...
Not a fan of Thad Gibson?  He did take a dumb penalty last friday  :lol:.
I have never seen Gibson so I am not sure about him, however it seems the Bombers have given him EVERY opportunity and so far he hasn`t done much I don`t think he has even played a regular season game for us...so lets see why the Bomber as so high on him... they have given him 2 leaves one last year and one this he better be good otherwise I will start to question how they have handled mister Gibson...

So you straight up deny knowing what he is capable of or even seeing him but still feel the need to slight him.. Makes sense.

Also, the dislike of Picard, Rempel and Darwin Adams seems misplaced lol.

I was referring to the former Argos from last year specifically, and Gibson didn't step on the field in 2014 for the Bombers.... so of all of the Argos that came here in 2014 only JFG was the only one that was good for the Bombers... If Gibson turns out this year great but he was a bust in 2014

Gibson was injured, I believe.

Man. you're so quick to judge if a player is a "bust".

some fans: "I'M OUTRAGED WE HAVE NO VETERANS ON DEFENSE!"

*Bombers sign veteran DB/LB*

same fans: "THIS GUY IS TOO OLD AND HE'S USELESS! I KNOW BETTER THAN THE TEAM!"

Please stop trying to make sense of things.  People are trying to manage the team around here.  Don't you know it needs serious help?

From a purely roster building for on-field talent perspective Lin-J may not be the absolute best player we could have acquired. He is a capable player though. From a team building/locker room perspective is where he adds a ton of value. Everything I have read about him says he is a dressing room "glue guy" that works hard, and is very well liked in the dressing rooms he has played in. Bringing in a capable veteran that will aid in the leadership department may not show up on the stat sheet, but it is exactly the type of acquisitions that can greatly aid a young team get confidence as it learns to win.

The lack of these type of roster moves, is what cost Mack his job imo. I am glad that it appears Walters gets that building a team is more than just a straight acquisition of talent. You need the intangibles as well. Lin-J may not have much gas in the tank as a player, but he brings intangibles to a young team.

I figure there are a few older people on this board who have had to put together work teams so they can relate to how hard it is to put together effective project teams or departments or whatever. This aspect of football is really interesting to me. There has to be a balance between physical and interpersonal skills (think Kalif Mitchell) How many out of control young bucks can you have at a time (swaggerville) without busting cohesion. How many older wise heads can you have without losing overall athleticism. All these players have measureables (40's, bench strength ...) but they are people who have individual strengths and weaknesses. I know how hard it is to put together work teams , just imagine all this with compressed time frames, constant injuries and the maturity levels of kids who have been coddled to some extent even if at a low level. What a job it is to be GM/ Coach ?

Anyone have any idea how long Leggett's out for or what his injury is?  Maybe it's a while and Shell's the replacement.

Darrin Bauming @DarrinBauming 10m10 minutes ago

Projected (eventual) starter at safety Moe Leggett is on the #Bombers 1-game injured list, but he's practicing today. Can not play in SSK.

Agreed the only former Argos worth picking up so far has been JFG the others have been busts ( Romby B,. EJ etc ) ...
Not a fan of Thad Gibson?  He did take a dumb penalty last friday  :lol:.
I have never seen Gibson so I am not sure about him, however it seems the Bombers have given him EVERY opportunity and so far he hasn`t done much I don`t think he has even played a regular season game for us...so lets see why the Bomber as so high on him... they have given him 2 leaves one last year and one this he better be good otherwise I will start to question how they have handled mister Gibson...

So you straight up deny knowing what he is capable of or even seeing him but still feel the need to slight him.. Makes sense.

Also, the dislike of Picard, Rempel and Darwin Adams seems misplaced lol.

I was referring to the former Argos from last year specifically, and Gibson didn't step on the field in 2014 for the Bombers.... so of all of the Argos that came here in 2014 only JFG was the only one that was good for the Bombers... If Gibson turns out this year great but he was a bust in 2014

Gibson was injured, I believe.

Man. you're so quick to judge if a player is a "bust".

Again referring to 2014 so I should have said "Last year JFG was the only former Argo that was good for the Bombers and the others Busts"

And Gibson took a leave of absence just after the trade then was only a practice player for many weeks until the last few games was going to get into one of the last two games then got hurt in practice.

Realistically, how effective can Shell be at playing Safety by Saturday?

Are there expectations he starts or are they just working him in and getting him familiar with the playbook?

Doesn't show a lot of confidence in either Sherman or Newman to play S. if they insert Shell ahead of them.  Just what the Bombers need, more pissed off Canucks.

Realistically, how effective can Shell be at playing Safety by Saturday?

Are there expectations he starts or are they just working him in and getting him familiar with the playbook?

Doesn't show a lot of confidence in either Sherman or Newman to play S. if they insert Shell ahead of them.  Just what the Bombers need, more pissed off Canucks.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Unless you are talking about Alex Burrows. Then I really don't care.

• 3 weeks later...

Remember when people were criticizing the Bombers for signing Shell. Not such a bad move now wouldn't you say

who was criticizing this move?  I know I liked it.

Maybe criticizing was a bit strong (for people who post here) but there were a number who didn't like signing him. I think a few of the rabble-rousers at TEP were more vocal in their displeasure.

Not to sound like the others making comparisons with Addison Richards, etc, but this feels similar to the Romby Bryant move of last year...

Shell's best days are behind him IMO.  Don't think he's an upgrade over our current DB's.

Remember when people were criticizing the Bombers for signing Shell. Not such a bad move now wouldn't you say

who was criticizing this move?  I know I liked it.

Maybe criticizing was a bit strong (for people who post here) but there were a number who didn't like signing him. I think a few of the rabble-rousers at TEP were more vocal in their displeasure.

Not to sound like the others making comparisons with Addison Richards, etc, but this feels similar to the Romby Bryant move of last year...

Shell's best days are behind him IMO.  Don't think he's an upgrade over our current DB's.

Well, I have certainly thought about criticizing the addition of Shell.  Does that count?

Positives.

-Kudos for the blocked punt, that is the first play he has made in 3 games that his name has been mentioned.

-I suppose Shell was brought in for his versatility as a backup and his true value should show once they have an injury in the secondary.  If O'Shea chooses to use a different player to fill in I will be somewhat confused.

Negatives.

-Shell may be a decent ST player but UNAMBA WAS TOP NUMBER ONE ST PLAYER OF ALL LAST YEAR TOTAL BEST!!!

-Like Sears, Unamba made an impact  every game, no matter where they played him, he was "in on it".

-Bombers made room for Shell originally on the PR by cutting Malachi Freeman, a good young prospect.

-Latest member of the Mike O'Shea "F*** You, I Like Him Club".  Notable past and present members include Willy, Kuale, Bryant, Peach and Hurl. No competition required to join this exclusive club, it's an anointment thing.

-Worst of all I have 5 pairs of custom fit Don Unamba pyjamas that are growing stale in my weekly garage sale that I can't sell for love nor money.

Guy is a jack of all trades and apparently a very solid STer. If he can backup multiple spots and play STs like that, I see zero reason why he is a bad signing.

Not all your players are gonna grab headlines and make huge plays every game.. Some will just, you know, block a punt that was critical to a win.

Guy is a jack of all trades and apparently a very solid STer. If he can backup multiple spots and play STs like that, I see zero reason why he is a bad signing.

Not all your players are gonna grab headlines and make huge plays every game.. Some will just, you know, block a punt that was critical to a win.

Yah, but I'm totally certain that Unamba would have also recovered the ball in the end-zone and kicked the convert too.