Preseason - Game One - WPG @ TOR

I'm hoping that one of Lamar, Bass (not playing this week) or Allen make it extremely difficult for the coaching staff to start Hurl at MLB ...

Weird, I just want the best player possible there.

As do I .. but the vibe coming out of camp is such that Hurl has all but been anointed our new starting MLB (at least when you hear the staff talk about him) .. so my hope is that one of those three guys steps up and makes the decision extremely hard .. that the competition is fierce and that someone isn't being handed a starting gig because:

* they had the right passport

* they were a "name" free agent acquisition

* the people competing for the spot crapped the bed 

For full disclosure, I'm not a huge fan of Hurl.  I feel he lacks range and athleticism ..which leads to being a liability in coverage.  I also want an extremely physical MLB and feel strongly that either Allen or Bass can fill that role more ably.   That said, if he (Hurl) steps up and over performs my expectations, I'll be pleasantly surprised and will be rooting for the guy.  

What this tells me is If it's a choice between Hurl and the other competitors for the job, his birth certificate and salary warrant starting him. In other words, it's so close according to the guys doing the evaluating that they feel they have to go with the Natiobal. That's not to say Hurl hasn't earned the praise from the coaches either ...

I've always enjoyed pre-season games (except for the Burke disasters). Its real hard to judge team play, but you get to look at individual players a lot better when you are not engaged in watching the game for the outcome. I will miss them, and I guess we will have to rely on solo Bob Irving for insights.

One of the big reasons Hurl signed with us in the first place is because he would be given a chance to start here.  The Riders, who've seen Hurl daily for 3 years and had him as a starter for 5 games, don't see him as a starter.  Either they are wrong, or we are wrong, or it takes a different level of talent to be a Bomber starter than a Rider starter.

It's wrong that someone wears 97.

Well .. it *IS* Brown wearing 97 ..  ;)

Funny story from TC yesterday, as he started chatting with 17to85 about his Doug Brown jersey and saying that he was surprised they let him wear it, but that at least he was also Brown, so they wouldn't need to change a lot of name plates....

I'm hoping that one of Lamar, Bass (not playing this week) or Allen make it extremely difficult for the coaching staff to start Hurl at MLB ...

Weird, I just want the best player possible there.

As do I .. but the vibe coming out of camp is such that Hurl has all but been anointed our new starting MLB (at least when you hear the staff talk about him) .. so my hope is that one of those three guys steps up and makes the decision extremely hard .. that the competition is fierce and that someone isn't being handed a starting gig because:

* they had the right passport

* they were a "name" free agent acquisition

* the people competing for the spot crapped the bed 

For full disclosure, I'm not a huge fan of Hurl.  I feel he lacks range and athleticism ..which leads to being a liability in coverage.  I also want an extremely physical MLB and feel strongly that either Allen or Bass can fill that role more ably.   That said, if he (Hurl) steps up and over performs my expectations, I'll be pleasantly surprised and will be rooting for the guy.

Too important a position to just anoint a guy with a better option behind him, I'm hoping.

It sounds like Hurl has surpassed even O'Shea's expectations. So those going by his play last year may not have seen this year's version.

Not possible.  Players never improve thru practise or evolve over time.  Any suggestion otherwise is propaganda from the coaching staff.

Learn that lesson now kids.  Clarence Denmark will never be more than a #3 receiver.

One of the big reasons Hurl signed with us in the first place is because he would be given a chance to start here.  The Riders, who've seen Hurl daily for 3 years and had him as a starter for 5 games, don't see him as a starter.  Either they are wrong, or we are wrong, or it takes a different level of talent to be a Bomber starter than a Rider starter.

If he can't play I imagine Ritchie Hall has already made that known. It will also play a part as to whether he starts, I'd imagine.

An interesting position to take considering who our defensive coordinator is. Maybe the politics discussed earlier regarding Brohm played out in Sask against Hurl. Maybe Hurl is a lot better now. Players do improve. Maybe we don't have any better options (I think you covered that one). We don't know the reasons but I don't think Hurl would be here at all if someone didn't evaluate him as capable. Somehow that remark struck me as being a bit too negative. Call me sensitive but let's be positive for a couple of weeks. We can trash the hell out of him during the rest of the year becasue it looks like he going to be there regardless of what you think.. 

An interesting position to take considering who our defensive coordinator is. Maybe the politics discussed earlier regarding Brohm played out in Sask against Hurl. Maybe Hurl is a lot better now. Players do improve. Maybe we don't have any better options (I think you covered that one). We don't know the reasons but I don't think Hurl would be here at all if someone didn't evaluate him as capable. Somehow that remark struck me as being a bit too negative. Call me sensitive but let's be positive for a couple of weeks. We can trash the hell out of him during the rest of the year becasue it looks like he going to be there regardless of what you think..

I'm with you on this one.

To me, it doesn't matter what Regina did with Hurl. That change on defence smacks of Chamblin's doing. And he was replaced with an arguably less effective player.

Why should there be reverse prejudice?

because

a) he's Canadian?

B) because we're paying him good money to potentially be a ratio changer?

What if he really is going to be good?

Hurlcane Sam good?

Duke of Hurl good?

Whurlwind good?

Our DC knows what Hurl can bring and how he can fit in with our current lineup.

Maybe, just maybe, he knows what he's doing.

Smart free agent move by Ivan - pick a city where minimum 1,000 fans are wearing "his" jersey at every game.  Obviously a cerebral player.

lol.

look for some very quick quick and accurate  diagnosing of plays by this Brown. 

Looking forward to #37 Normand thundering off tackle on a 44 Woody and then dragging 7 Argo defenders the final 40 yards for the TD.

Also curious to see how Veltung, Gordon, Randle, Cotton and Anderson manage on returns. Kick game so potentially explosive now with the new rules.

Also, I'm a bit with voodoochilde on Hurl - I noticed he seems always to be in pursuit. Is that because he's not anticipating the cut-off angles, and getting there on time?

But I admit I was not watching the LBs very closely at the couple of TC practices I attended. And you gotta believe Greg Knox, Richie Hall and MOS know their LB talent.

Pre scout Argos

Quarterback Blake Sims' tenure with the Toronto Argonauts has come to an end after the former Alabama pivot was released on Sunday. (he was signed May 28)

- Despite being freshly activated off of the injured list, the Argos star quarterback R Ray is not close to returning. He’s coming along. He’s not close yet,” said Milanovich. “Today was a positive step where he threw the ball. He felt a lot stronger but we’re still a ways away.”

- Trevor Harris will start and get a least a quarter of play.

- Milanovich says their offence and STs will be "vanilla" but their defence will be less so.

- No Durie, Owens, Foley and several others depending on injuries. They'll probably have a different kicker other than Swayze Waters for the game.

- They've made their receivers have to learn a difficult "install" to see if thy can pick it up, then take it from there.

- Coach Milanovich is not afraid to reveal some of the things players have to pay more attention to if they want to make the squad. I'm a little jealous of that.

He doesn't sound excited about the state of where the back up QBs should be at this state in their development. Could lead to a rough start for the Argos.

- The expressions Milanovich uses when describing his new players is either "up and down" or "struggles with some of their assignments".

- 40% chance of rain.

- Cleon Laing has reported to camp

It looks like Anthony Coombs has fully recovered from his shoulder injury and has impressed Milanovich. "He's doing a very nice job," Argos head coach Scott Milanovich said of Coombs. "We moved him to a different spot just to kind of keep him working with his flexibility in different spots we could put him in. 

"He's really had an excellent camp, one of the best camps of all the guys. We're just trying to find different ways to get him on the field."
Coombs said he's much more comfortable at training camp now than he was last year as a rookie. 

Let's hope we can get a live stream of that game.

The game won't even be televised on a stadium feed from Rogers centre since it isn't being played there so not sure where this mysterious game feed we can tap into will come from. We'll just have to settle for the dulcet tones of Bob Irving on OB ...

I'm sure tburgess will be along shortly to rip the Argos a new one for not even caring about winning the game dressing all those backups and leaving all those starters out. 

You actually think I'm ripping anyone a new one with my posts these days?  LOL.  You seem to have forgotten what it looks like when I'm ripping someone a new one.  Go back and see my posts regarding Kelly or Mack if you want to see what it really looks like.

I'm sure tburgess will be along shortly to rip the Argos a new one for not even caring about winning the game dressing all those backups and leaving all those starters out. 

You actually think I'm ripping anyone a new one with my posts these days?  LOL.  You seem to have forgotten what it looks like when I'm ripping someone a new one.  Go back and see my posts regarding Kelly or Mack if you want to see what it really looks like.

No the point was more about how you completely over react to the smallest and most common things. We're all making fun of you