TC Report: Day One

Jpan85

Can't see Marve going anywhere but into the back-up spot behind Willy. Think Brohm is likely on his way out as the Bombers brass weren't too worried about signing him in the off-season, tipping their hand slightly. With Portis having been in the league a while now, he'd be a perfect number three on the depth chart, in my opinion. 

I also thought it was super classy of the team to come see the fans after practice to thank them. Perhaps it looks a bit corny but it was a nice touch. Wade was also going from person to person on the sidelines chatting them up. Asking the kids if they played football. Sort of insulted he didn't ask the same thing of me, but I digress.

It was also funny that there were only two port-a-potties outside the main entrance for both fans and players. Walking into practice seeing Darvin Adams and Demond Washington waiting in line with fans to use the toilet was a real treat.

Perhaps the most CFL moment of the day!

I think Marve is going to have to show some pretty significant steps in terms of being able to pass and not just scramble to stay on the roster.  If you can't pass from the pocket you can't play.  Real easy with everyone playing gap control to contain and disrupt a scrambling QB.  Portis is in a similar spot as a guy who isn't a good passer but might bring more as a #3 with his option abilities.

What? Did you watch practice or preseason at all last season? All I hear about Marve is how well the guy can throw. Marve was the Bombers' best QB in training camp, and maybe even in practice, last season and was very good with limited reps in the regular season. The offence performed incredibly well with Marve at the helm, considering the circumstances (down by 16 against the best team in the league in the first game, awful weather in the second one). They scored 29 points (should've been 36) in the 53 minutes that he played. He was only sacked once during that time, did not throw an interception nor fumble the ball... He basically did everything necessary to win games.

Marve has excellent potential, and frankly, I think it's stupid to suggest he might not stay on the roster.

I agree that Marve has a lot of upside and possibly could be better than WIlly in the future. I don't think JBR was disputing that, nor do I see anywhere that he thinks he will be cut.

However, there is more to throwing than just arm strength. Last year Marve did not show the ability to recognize certain coverages and did not get the ball out in a timely fashion. While this made for some tremendous excitement when he scrambled, these were broken plays. Until Marve learns to read coverages, can take a 3-5 step drop and deliver the ball he will not be surpassing anyone on the DC. Marve looked decent last year in limited playing time. A quick look at his stats will show that he was far from incredible. I get it...you're stoked about what could be a good young QB, however, I think you are overstating things right now concerning Marve.

A lot of people thinking being a passer just means throwing the ball.

A lot of people thinking being a passer just means throwing the ball.

No kidding. Troy Smith is just a recent reminder that there is more to being a QB than a strong arm. Doug Flutie is living proof that a legendary QB can throw an ugly ball.

Watching Marve play last year was very exciting.  The main reason it was exciting is because every play included high levels of chaos.  His high levels of athleticism compensate for his low level of understanding the CFL game.  Give him time to learn and he might become something, but 60 chaotic plays per game, 18 games per season is not a recipe for success.  Just like Hellebuyck, he's the shiny new penny that the impatient want to rush out onto the big stage.

Taking your best looking tomato out of the garden and throwing it in a pot does not mean you've made a great marinara sauce.  Patience.

I think Marve is going to have to show some pretty significant steps in terms of being able to pass and not just scramble to stay on the roster.  If you can't pass from the pocket you can't play.  Real easy with everyone playing gap control to contain and disrupt a scrambling QB.  Portis is in a similar spot as a guy who isn't a good passer but might bring more as a #3 with his option abilities.

What? Did you watch practice or preseason at all last season? All I hear about Marve is how well the guy can throw. Marve was the Bombers' best QB in training camp, and maybe even in practice, last season and was very good with limited reps in the regular season. The offence performed incredibly well with Marve at the helm, considering the circumstances (down by 16 against the best team in the league in the first game, awful weather in the second one). They scored 29 points (should've been 36) in the 53 minutes that he played. He was only sacked once during that time, did not throw an interception nor fumble the ball... He basically did everything necessary to win games.

Marve has excellent potential, and frankly, I think it's stupid to suggest he might not stay on the roster.

I agree that Marve has a lot of upside and possibly could be better than WIlly in the future. I don't think JBR was disputing that, nor do I see anywhere that he thinks he will be cut.

However, there is more to throwing than just arm strength. Last year Marve did not show the ability to recognize certain coverages and did not get the ball out in a timely fashion. While this made for some tremendous excitement when he scrambled, these were broken plays. Until Marve learns to read coverages, can take a 3-5 step drop and deliver the ball he will not be surpassing anyone on the DC. Marve looked decent last year in limited playing time. A quick look at his stats will show that he was far from incredible. I get it...you're stoked about what could be a good young QB, however, I think you are overstating things right now concerning Marve.

And the most important part, is that when teams know about a qb they can game plan for him. See it all the time, young scrambling qbs come in look good in year one, then when there's film on them and teams just take away their room to run and force them to win with just their arm they struggle. Casey Printers is a great example. If you kept him in the pocket he was terrible, you gave him room to run he could be dangerous. Marve needs to show that next step of being able to hurt teams with just his arm consistently because relying on the ability to run isn't always going to be available. 

Marve may have all the assets he needs to be a great CFL QB except the experience he can pick up but how much onus can we place on him with such a wonky knee? It could let him and the team down at a critical moment and could be a problem just waiting to happen.

So from what i've gathered, Marve has all the tools but perhaps isn't there yet, will he ever get there is the big question. Having a big arm and being able to scramble is great but... if you can't read the D then i don't know, I like Marve but if a guy like Yantz or even Portis looks just as good, you got some interesting decisions to make, the injury concerns with Marve are legit, can he overcome them? Maybe but... one more and he's probably done for good. 

Honestly, I think Marve is 3rd on the depth chart behind Willy and Brohm right now, i'm not convinced Brohm is a lock to make the team tho but, i'm less convinced that Marve is. I think if any of them are surprise cuts, it's probably marve, Him also going on record saying he wants to try the NFL after this season, well.... who knows if that is a factor in the decisions they make. 

Personally i think Willy is the best of the bunch by far, then you got Brohm Marve Portis and Yantz fighting it out for the other 2 spots really.. it could go anyway and honestly, I'm fine with that. If Marve gets cut, not saying he will be but if he does, then so be it. 

Marve is exciting tho for sure but lots of that excitement is due to the fact that it was total chaos back there when he played. Lots of improvising and scrambling going on there, not exactly what i'd consider to be sustainable over the long term. 

Marve has all the physical tools.  It's the other ones he needs to work on.  That's just a normal progression for the CFL, not a knock on him.  Most guys don't make the progression though.  If they did, finding a starting QB wouldn't always be a talking point.

I'm not sure why his knee comes up though - he was running full sprint on it last year and putting massive torque thru the joint, and it held up fine.  If it gets hit directly or twisted up in a pile, yes it could get re-injured, but that doesn't make his knee any different than the knees of our other 4 QBs.

Brohm's edge over Marve will be his ability to ready a defence and pass from the pocket.  If Marve can progress with those elements he can steal Brohm's job.

"Yantz doesn't look out of place" seems to be the only thing people say about him.  I've said it too.  Until it becomes "Yantz is standing out", he won't be the reason the other 3 backups are in danger of losing a roster spot.  His nationality and the possibilities it creates at other positions may be enough that not looking out of place can earn him a PR spot.

I like Marve, but my issue is really with people who saw limited action from him last year and are ready to anoint him the #1 guy....

I am not ready to anoint him #1. I am however, ready to predict Brohm will be a surprise cut this year.

I really like Marve's poise in that game in Calgary last year. And you can't tell me that Huffer didn't care about winning that game.

Again, considering the circumstances he played in, it' s hard to draw conclusions from his stats. He played the last 23 minutes of the first game against Calgary, engineered two touchdowns plus another drive that should have resulted in a field goal. He was put in a difficult situation with a minute left as the Bombers were in a 10-point deficit and in a hurry to throw the ball downfield. Three of his ten throws were made then. You just can't draw conclusions from 10 pass attempts, as he likely would've completed a higher percentage had he played the entire game.

He didn't struggle in his second game either considering the weather conditions. The offence managed to score 15 points in one half of football under his lead. Marve was on pace for more passing yards than Mitchell  (despite  Mitchell dealing with relatively decent weather in the first half).

Marve in 53 minutes = 29 points for the Bombers (should' ve been 36)

Other quarterbacks against the same opposition in 67 minutes  = 12 points for the Bombers 

Yeah and everyone agreed that he did well in his time last year, but others have been watching the CFL long enough to know that a qb using his legs to buy time and improvise as a rookie doesn't always mean he's ready for prime time when teams go in gaming to shut that scrambling down. Everyone would love the guy to progress to the point where he is a legit starter cause the athleticism is impressive and he's got a big arm. Just need to see him learn to be a poised pocket qb now too. 

I will never understand these Pro Marve types that are anti Willy at the same time. If Marve wins the #2 gig, good on him, but Willy is our guy. Here's hoping he has an MOP type season in 2015...

Who's anti-Willy? I just think that Marve has the potential to be better than him... And that's not really far-fetched.

I used to have an Auntie Willy but she was a bad girl, always wanting to show off her ding-dong.  We had her locked away.

Also, Marve scrambled so much because he HAD to, as the o-line ****ing sucked...  At least he didn't just stand there, take hits and make ill-advised passes under pressure like Willy seemed content in doing in the latter half of last year. Marve actually managed to throw the ball away a couple of times, escape pressure, make something out of nothing, etc. I would agree that he still needs to prove himself as a pocket passer, but I don't think he's gotten the chance to do so at this point. I don't think there's anything wrong in suggesting that Marve may have more potential than Willy.

He might have more potential than Willy, but he might not. Willy isn't chopped liver either. Guy is a pretty decent passer, just needs more blocking because he doesn't have as much ability to scramble. But at least we know that when you give him time he can pass the ball.

Willy was extremely accurate in the first 7-8 games, and then things fell apart after that. Was he injured? Gun-shy from constantly getting clobbered? I do like a scrambling QB. In the CFL a scrambler can mess up any defence.

17to85, on 01 Jun 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

"And the most important part, is that when teams know about a qb they can game plan for him. See it all the time, young scrambling qbs come in look good in year one, then when there's film on them and teams just take away their room to run and force them to win with just their arm they struggle. Casey Printers is a great example. If you kept him in the pocket he was terrible, you gave him room to run he could be dangerous. Marve needs to show that next step of being able to hurt teams with just his arm consistently because relying on the ability to run isn't always going to be available."

True enough but Collaros seems to be doing okay playing this style and his arm isn't as strong as Marve's.

Doug Flutie was a scrambling QB who didn't have arm strength anywhere near Marve's.  He did pretty well.  In fact, he's one of the best all time CFL QB's.

Different QB's have different strengths and weaknesses.  Scrambling QB's don't need to learn how to be a pocket passer to be effective any more than pocket passers need to learn to scramble to be effective.  The OC simply needs to design a playbook that works best for the type of QB he has.  

Willy's a good pocket passer when he has lots of time.  He's not great at avoiding the rush or making quick decisions and getting the ball off on time on target.  We've upgraded the O line to give him more time to make his decisions and throws which should help immensely.  Add in the new rules and it's a perfect storm for him to have a breakout season.