Bombers sign Jamall Westerman

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are pleased to announce the addition of National defensive lineman Jamaal Westerman.

Westerman (6-3, 260, Rutgers, February 21, 1985 in Brooklyn, New York) has spent the past six seasons in the National Football League.

“Jamaal was highly recruited throughout the CFL this off-season and we are very grateful and fortunate he chose the Winnipeg Blue Bombers,” said Blue Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters. “He’s a big, physical defensive end who we feel can be an immediate impact player on our roster. In addition, his Canadian status is a major plus and really a ratio changing addition for us.”

Originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the New York Jets in 2009, Westerman appeared in 58 games through six seasons. He amassed 62 tackles, six sacks, four fumble recoveries and one forced fumble, while adding 27 special-teams tackles.

He has spent time with the Jets (2009-11), Arizona (2012), Indianapolis (2012), Buffalo (2013) and Pittsburgh (2013).

Westerman played his collegiate football at Rutgers where he appeared in 50 games, registering 141 tackles and 26 sacks. 

Absolutely huge signing.

I originally thought the Bombers were going to go after him earlier this offseason. You can learn a lot from who follows who on Twitter. But then all those reports that BC and Toronto were strong after him came out and I figured we were out of luck. This is huge for us.

Absolutely huge signing.

I originally thought the Bombers were going to go after him earlier this offseason. You can learn a lot from who follows who on Twitter. But then all those reports that BC and Toronto were strong after him came out and I figured we were out of luck. This is huge for us.

Question for you

Where do you think he is more suited to ? NT, 3-techinque DT or on the DE ?

Absolutely huge signing.

Question for you

Would almost guarantee he's going to be the guy who takes Greg Peach's spot.

Absolutely huge signing.

Question for you

100% as an end.

Adding a Canadian end who presumably can play 35-40 snaps a game is big. Thomas should be able to handle the rest on the interior. Still need Canadian depth on D. I'm not a fan of the assumption that this signing means the Bombers have solidified 3 NI spots on D. We're still one injury at LB or DL from a ratio nightmare. Don't think this signing impacts who the Bombers will draft.