Bombers draft & FA camp prep

gbill2004

Is that how we landed Andrew Harris?

I'm not saying we are guaranteed to get Harris or Coombs when they become free agents, but Harris is different as he played junior football in BC and was a territorial exemption pickup for BC.

He wasn't a local kid that grew up here and played their football here.

Harris was born in Winnipeg and played high school football here before going to BC to play junior football. He is also here in the off-season iirc. How is that not a local kid?

I didn't say he wasn't a local kid, I said that he didn't grow up here AND play his football here.  

The original post insinuated that Harris being born here didn't work out for him coming back to Winnipeg, comparing that to Coombs and Demski.  I said it wasn't a valid comparison because Harris played his junior football in BC and had four years playing there to put down roots, make friends, and get accustomed to the place, regardless of whether or not he comes back here to visit family.

I'm not saying we are guaranteed to get Harris or Coombs when they become free agents, but Harris is different as he played junior football in BC and was a territorial exemption pickup for BC.

Harris was born in Winnipeg and played high school football here before going to BC to play junior football. He is also here in the off-season iirc. How is that not a local kid?

I didn't say he wasn't a local kid, I said that he didn't grow up here AND play his football here.  

The original post insinuated that Harris being born here didn't work out for him coming back to Winnipeg, comparing that to Coombs and Demski.  I said it wasn't a valid comparison because Harris played his junior football in BC and had four years playing there to put down roots, make friends, and get accustomed to the place, regardless of whether or not he comes back here to visit family.

And I see now in my original post we are not guaranteed to get Harris or Coombs, meant to say Demski or Coombs.

That was a really badly worded sentence then because that is exactly what you wrote even if it wasn't what you meant.

That was a really badly worded sentence then because that is exactly what you wrote even if it wasn't what you meant.

Yep, it happens sometimes when you try to rattle off a post before heading to a meeting.

I know why Harris left too and his reasons for doing so are very valid. 

But regardless, Taking Demski would be a smart move, we need all the National help we can get, he's got potential to be very good, there will be other players left at  11 and 15. i get taking the best oline who isn't NFL bound but... we could probably get one at 11 and even 15 if we wanted too but i just don't see that happening. I think we might go Demski at 2, then i think we'd go OL at 11 but at 15, i'm not really sure. The luxury of having 3 picks really in the top 15 is you are gonna get 3 guys you probably want, just what order to take them is the big question.

Reading between the lines a bit in the interviews Walters has done, seems to me he's happy with the OLINE right now, maybe not happy but content, I mean... Lets look at it  for a second here, Pretty obvious we are only starting 3 nationals on the line and even if we went oline at 2, we still would be. It's gonna be 3 of the following, Greaves,Picard,Neufeld,Goossen and even Quinn Everett. one will back up (probably Goossen) and one will go to the IR or PR (Everett makes sense there)

Do we really need OLINE that badly? None of these guys apparently project to be tackles, Groulx included, our interior might not be the greatest but... by adding Bryant and Picard, it adds lots, they are both better than what we previously had and both bring a bit of a nasty side to them, especially Picard. 

IMO, Oline at 2 isn't really a must.. Is receiver? It might be, Kohlert,JFG and then a bunch of unproven guys like Bastien,Goodrich,Carter maybe. Demski would fit in nicely there, give you another option really, sure he might not start but the guy is pretty versatile it seems. 

I don't really expect any of these guys to help us that much in year 1 but... Demski is pretty good depth to have at a position that really, outside of Kohlert really, it's a bit of an unknown. I know people like JFG but... Kohlert is our most proven National receiver.

I'm going on the assumption that Ottawa takes Durant or they trade down and another team takes Durant first.  I think it's likely Durant goes first overall, whether that be to Ottawa or someone else, i'm not sure.

Lots of OLINE in the draft, theres gonna be a couple still there at 11 or 15 for sure. WIll there be any receivers? I dunno, get the feeling that due to the depth of the oline in this draft, that some teams will pass on oline and hope they are there in the 2nd round, some won't but some will because well, like i said, the depth is so strong that you are almost guaranteed an oline or 2 or more to be there in round 2 also. Gonna be interesting to see what the bombers do. Really do get the feeling that theres gonna be a run on non OL in the first round. 

Yep, it happens sometimes when you try to rattle off a post before heading to a meeting.

No worrys- its all gooder Inglish.

Regarding Harris and his reasons for leaving the Peg. He was in with a rough crowd. His Dad lives in B.C. and that made it a little easier for him to leave. His reasons for coming back to the Peg. I believe his girlfriend and daughter live here, (apparently she doesn't want to live on the coast) and so that would be a very important family tie in Winnipeg and reason for coming back. In any event I'm sure Andrew has had playing for the Bombers on his mind at one time or another ( he said as much at the last Cup game we played the leos) Whether that ever happens is up to him. He's built a nice life for himself on Van. Island and Van...has a lot of friends there so I would say he's a very torn person. I would luv. to see him in bluengold but like I said before...that's up to him.

Is Ottawa going O-line with the number one pick? I still think we need a good Canuck D-lineman somewhere.

Wasn't their o line pretty horrendous? Yes I think so; Burris had one half of a second before he was jumped on by two or three defenders.

Read that article wrong, guess Walters actually said he doesn't see them picking a guy who projects as a tackle with the 2 pick. 

Just a simple question here, Draft is definitely oline heavy

Assuming Durant goes to Otttawa 1st overall, how much of a drop off in potential or talent is there between the # 2 ranked receiver and Durant and the # 3 ranked receiver and the # 2 ranked  guy?

and How much difference is there between the top ranked oline and #2 ranked oline and so on?

If there is less depth at a receiver position then at oline, I could see them going receiver at 2, not gonna say Demski for sure but.. sounds like Walters has him and Durant in the same group really. 

Darrin Bauming @DarrinBauming 5m5 minutes ago

At 6'5" and 215lbs, Jordan Reaves worked out as a receiver for the #Bombers, and will do the same for the #Esks next week.

Darrin Bauming @DarrinBauming 6m6 minutes ago

Jordan, who finished a five-year basketball career at Brandon University in 2014, hasn't played football since his early teens. #Bombers

Darrin Bauming ‏@DarrinBauming 3m3 minutes ago

Jordan Reaves, son of legendary #Bombers running back Willard Reaves and brother of #StlBlues' Ryan, worked out for the Bombers this week.

He stands 6'5" and weighs 215 lbs. Could be a FB for the Bombers.

He worked out as a receiver and will do the same for the esks

He has the athletic pedigree, and if he makes it in the CFL, maybe with the Bombers, it would be the second CFL/NHL brother combo.

Jordan Reaves, son of legendary #Bombers running back Willard Reaves and brother of #StlBlues' Ryan, worked out for the Bombers this week.

He has the athletic pedigree, and if he makes it in the CFL, maybe with the Bombers, it would be the second CFL/NHL brother combo.

For a guy who didn't play any college football I find it hard to believe he is a CFL contender... if he was that good why didn't Dobie recruit him (or maybe he did and decided to play bball instead?)... this could just be a case of the name getting a try-out...

For a guy who didn't play any college football I find it hard to believe he is a CFL contender... if he was that good why didn't Dobie recruit him (or maybe he did and decided to play bball instead?)... this could just be a case of the name getting a try-out...

My guess is that he just felt he was better at basketball and so chose that for college. Who knows? Nothing wrong with taking a look, either way.

My guess is that he just felt he was better at basketball and so chose that for college. Who knows? Nothing wrong with taking a look, either way.

Ya he was pretty good at basketball. He played college ball at Brandon and then looked around Europe for a pro deal for a bit.