Bombers draft & FA camp prep

gbill2004

Its not unusual for an O-lineman to have a career approaching 10 years, but if a receiver plays half that, it is seen as a good career. So an O-lineman is a better investment.

Not saying you are wrong, but this is the first time I've heard this. Where are you getting this info from?

D'uh his name is tracker.

In my opinion, the offensive line is the foundation of a football team. Once the Bombers have a solid foundation there, then we can start drafting BPA in the first round. I think we're getting close to having that foundation of solid NI's on the OL (Greaves, Neufeld, Goossen). If I'm a GM, I'd want to have 4-5 solid Canadian OL's to fill 3 roster spots; I didn't include Picard because he's near the end of his career. If this years first round draft pick (assuming its an OL) looks good, next year the Bombers can look at BPA in the first round, and maybe start looking at some high upside guys. Until then, gotta go OL.

So what's the plan with the other four NI spots? If we're planning on starting at least one Canadian receiver, likely two, for the foreseeable future, shouldn't we draft one of the two potential ratiochangers?

Tough call - but BPA and then picking two OL in the 2nd round might not be a bad idea.

My point is that OL is the most important spot on the roster, besides the QB. Who cares how good your 2 Canadian WRs are if you can't keep the QB upright to get them the ball? A good OL keeps the offense moving, which keeps the defense rested and effective. You build a team through the QB and OL.

Once we're set on the OL, then start looking at upgrading the Canadian content in other areas. Right now we have enough to get by just fine in the other 4 NI spots.

Can certainly draft other areas later in the draft, but in my opinion, OL is still the priority.

Super thrilled about the Edmonton regional ... definitely the best regional of the three

Pospischil should definitely get an invite to the main combine, I'd be very surprised if he didn't. Curious to see Janke, Johnson, Tsoumpas, Lawrence and Kankolongo as well, I could see them plus a couple hogs all having a shot at being invited to the main combine.

The draft isn't about playing this year.  It's about getting the best players for the future, 2 or 3 years down the road.  

I'd like to see us get the best O lineman we can and that means using our top pick, not waiting until the second round when the top O lineman have already been picked by other teams.  If Ottawa doesn't pick Waud then I'd be OK with changing the plan to pick the best DL available with our 1st round pick as I see him as a rotation guy in year 1 and I don't think much of Jake Thomas.

Still a long way off though.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with NFL draft and with the one on ones at the combine.

I tend to agree with you.  Going for a guy that can contribute *this year* at 2, and hoping that some good OL prospects are still available at 11 and 15 is walking a tight rope.

Honestly, the draft is about stockpiling the best collection of prospects for future seasons.  If Durant's the best player available at 2, then by all means take him, but I'd much prefer if we didn't let "capable of contributing this year" influence their draft at all.

I would think maybe hope the goal is that taking a player at 2, there is some hope that he could play this year, maybe not to start the year but definitely should be able to take some reps, make the game day roster even, The one plus to taking, let's just say Demski is he can conceivably play special teams where an oline, well he wouldn't. Demski,Durant whoever, non OL player lets say. I think you hope that he can step in and contribute right away, like i said tho, doesn't need to be as a starter, can be on special teams. 

It's a tough call, the draft is so stacked i guess with OL prospects that you would think picking at 11 and 15 even that there would be a couple OL guys left to take. 

Tough call tho, Justin Dunk just did another mock where he has durant falling to 8 and demski falling to the 2nd round, doesn't mean much but sure would be sweet to be able to get Demski at 11, i think if we don't take him at 2 and he's there at 11, it's a no brainer. Just really don't know which way they are leaning with 2. If it was me, i'd want a player who has the ability to play right away, special teams even and maybe later in the year can play regularly on O or D. 

Still feel that due to the depth of the oline in this years draft class that it's very likely you could see a run in the first round on non OL players with the hopes that some will still be there in the 2nd round. 

Everything changes after the main combine. That's when you see guys like Henoc Muamba and Mike Edem shoot up everyone's draft board. I have a feeling the first round won't be anywhere near as OL-heavy as people might think. The Bombers will have a great shot at a top 5 OL with the 11th pick and they should use the second overall on Nic Demski.

Last years draft was extremely very weak for OLs so that's going to increase he demand for all teams to re-stock the cupboard.

Last year's draft was extremely very weak for all positions. Teams need to restock across the board.

It will come down to supply and demand. Is the top tier of OL that much better than the second tier this year? We'll see. But the drop off from the top 3 receivers to the rest could be huge, so teams will want to jump on them early.

Yeah I heard that too, and more power to him if Walters can do it, but I would be mad if my team traded a 1st round pick for 15 + something else unless that something else was a proven starting National.

Taman likes trading down in the draft, doesn't he?

Edmonton regional combine is Monday. Here's a link to a list of participants: http://www.cfl.ca/page/2015-edmonton-regional-combine-participants

Is this last year's list? Sure looks like a lot of returnees.
Wrong link - I've corrected it now.
And here's the results from today: http://www.cfl.ca/page/2015-edmonton-regional-combine-results-2015?no-mobile-redirect=1

From Duane Forde:

Who's the best receiver in the draft class?

If you asked all nine teams who the top three receiver prospects in the Class of 2015 are, they’d likely all list Nic Demski, Lemar Durant, and Addison Richards. However, if you then asked them to rank those prospects from first to third, you’d get (the maximum possible) six different responses. Bear in mind that a player’s combine performance is just one of many tools used in the evaluation process but it’s expected that the answer to the burning question, “Who is the best receiver in this draft class?” will become at least a little clearer between now and Monday. Here (alphabetically) is a brief look at each of the “contenders”:

Nic Demski (SB, Manitoba, 5’11”, 210 lbs.): One of the most explosive athletes in this draft class, he led the nation in yards per catch at 21.8 last season and also boasts four career kick return touchdowns. In fact, prior to being named an All-Canadian receiver each of the last two seasons, this converted running back was an All-Canadian kick returner in 2011 and 2012. In terms of testing numbers, he was among the top overall performers at the East West Bowl last May in the forty, vertical, and broad jump, and topped the receivers with 21 reps on the bench.

Lemar Durant (WR, Simon Fraser, 6’2”, 231 lbs.): Simply put, he has often looked like a man among boys in his three seasons in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference and, like Christian Covington, declared for the draft a year early. Big, fast, physical, and athletic, he began his college career at the University of Nevada in 2010 but a knee injury limited his action and led him to transfer to SFU in 2012. His injury history could be a concern, as he missed nine of the Clan’s 21 games over the last two seasons. His production, however, can’t be questioned – 23 games, 175 receptions, 2392 yards, and 26 TD.

Addison Richards (WR, Regina, 6’5”, 210 lbs.): This East West Shrine Game participant continues the Rams tradition of producing top receiver prospects. After a slow start to his CIS career with just six catches for 109 yards through his first two years, he exploded with 100 receptions for 1530 yards in his last two years. The two-time All-Canadian led the nation with 916 receiving yards in 2014. Although generally not regarded as being as explosive as Demski, the pair had very similar forty-yard dash and broad jump numbers at the CIS east West Bowl last spring.

Another good read from Forde:

Offensive linemen are to our draft what quarterbacks are to the NFL Draft." Former B.C. Lions coach Mike Benevides, who joins TSN's combine coverage this weekend, gave me that analogy several years ago and it has held true.

Historically, one of the best indicators of the relative strength of a CFL draft class has always been the depth and quality of available offensive linemen. For example, the best class in recent memory was 2008, where the first round of the draft produced three rookie O-Line starters and seven of the first twelve picks were offensive linemen.

This year, two top O-Line prospects, Alex Mateas (Connecticut) and Brett Boyko (Nevada-Las Vegas), will bypass the CFL Combine but here's a brief look at a few of the other prospects (listed alphabetically) who are causing scouts to call the Class of 2015 the best since 2008.

Sukh Chung (OG, Calgary, 6'3", 290 lbs.): Originally a member of the Class of 2014, he was among those CIS players reclassified to 2015 when the CFL adjusted its draft eligibility rules last year. After having to bide his time behind a deep group of veterans on the Dinos offensive line early in his career, he has developed into a two-time All-Canadian. Strong, aggressive, and tough, he plays with a definite edge and a desire to physically dominate his opponents.

Danny Groulx (OL, Laval, 6'7", 335 lbs.): His size is his most obvious asset but not by a long shot is it his only one. He moves surprisingly well for his size and also demonstrates the strength (29 bench press reps at the 2014 East West Bowl) to go along with his mass. He could garner NFL free agent interest.

Karl Lavoie (OL, Laval, 6'4", 285 lbs.): Manning the left tackle position for the Rouge et Or, he has been selected as an All-Canadian twice and an RSEQ All-Star three times. He possesses good footwork and is technically sound but will need to add weight to play at the next level.

Sean McEwen (OC, Calgary, 6'3, 300 lbs.): This two-time All-Canadian ranks as one of the most CFL-ready prospects in this class. While his outstanding technique and high football IQ are perhaps his greatest strengths, he is also physically impressive in terms of both strength and quickness.

Jacob Ruby (OT, Richmond, 6'7", 315 lbs.): This former tight end had originally committed to UConn before signing with the Spiders. He emerged as a four-year starter, primarily at left tackle, earning various All-Conference accolades over the last three seasons.

Unlike 2008, where current CFL starters Jon Gott and Luc Brodeur-Jourdain were drafted in later rounds, the 2015 O-Line class appears to be a little top heavy. The CFL Combine will present an opportunity for three NCAA Division 1 products, Campbell Allison (Eastern Michigan), and possibly James Bodanis (Michigan State) and Quinn Lawlor (Brigham Young) to prove themselves worthy of filling that void behind the top prospects.

David Beard (Alberta) would have also fallen into that category this weekend but the Second Team All-Canadian had to decline his combine invitation due to an injured wrist that required surgery.

As an aside, Dillon Guy (Buffalo), who had appeared among the Canadian Scouting Bureau's Top 15 prospects in both their September and December rankings, has been reclassified to 2016 after missing the entire season due to injury and taking a medical redshirt.

And another from Forde:

After the 2013 CFL Draft, the league changed its eligibility rules so that an NCAA player’s draft year would correspond with the completion of his college eligibility. In theory, the benefits should be twofold. First of all, and most importantly, much of the guesswork has been eliminated in terms of projecting the likelihood of losing a given prospect to the NFL. The secondary advantage that was supposed to be gained is that top prospects from NCAA programs would now be able to attend the CFL Combine without jeopardizing any remaining college eligibility. Well, for a number of top players in the Class of 2015, the terms “willing” and “able” don’t necessarily go together, as the following invitees (listed alphabetically) were either unwilling or unable to be in Toronto this weekend.

Brandon Bridge (QB, South Alabama, 6’5”, 235 lbs.): While his game isn’t as refined as Jesse Palmer’s was coming out of college, ‘Air Canada’ is the most physically gifted quarterback prospect ever produced in this country. Blessed with size, mobility, and a very strong arm, the native of Mississauga, Ontario has spent the past two summers honing his craft alongside the NCAA’s top QBs at the renowned Manning Passing Academy. Since completing his senior season, he has participated in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl and the NFL Combine. Described by some as a “poor man’s Colin Kaepernick,” he is expected to be in an NFL camp this summer. Bridge’s Pro Day will take place on Monday.

Brett Boyko (OT, Nevada-Las Vegas, 6’7”, 310 lbs.): As a four-year starter, primarily at left tackle, and two-time All-Mountain West selection, this Saskatoon product has as impressive a résumé as any prospect in this class. He attended last month’s NFL Combine and was also invited to the East-West Shrine Game but didn’t participate due to injury. His NFL stock may have fallen slightly over the last year but he should still be drafted.

Christian Covington (DT, Rice, 6’3”, 300 lbs.): The son of Canadian Football Hall of Famer Grover Covington and undisputed best player in the Class of 2015 became eligible for the CFL Draft when he declared for early entry to the NFL Draft. The Vancouver native was projected by many as a potential first round NFL pick prior to suffering a season ending knee injury. Still rehabbing, but expected to make a complete recovery, he will definitely be selected in the NFL Draft.

Alex Mateas (OC, Connecticut, 6’4”, 309 lbs.): Originally a Penn State recruit, he became a three-year starter at centre for the Huskies and was also named a team captain as a senior. He was selected to play in the College Gridiron Showcase in January and is considered the early favourite to be chosen first overall by his hometown Ottawa Redblacks in the May 12 draft. Still holding on to some NFL hopes, he will work out at UConn’s Pro Day on Tuesday.

Matthew Norzil (REC, 6’2”, 190, Laval): In terms of skill and talent, he’s one of the elite players in this class, however injuries have clouded his status. After missing most of the last two seasons due to a knee injury, he tested off the charts at Wednesday’s Montreal regional combine. Unfortunately, however, he later injured a hamstring during one-on-ones, preventing him from participating in the CFL Combine this weekend.

Tyler Varga (RB, Yale, 5’11”, 224 lbs.): The 2011 CIS Rookie of the Year enjoyed similar dominance in three Ivy League seasons, averaging 124.4 rushing yards per game in that time. Strong showings at the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine (despite not running due to injury) have boosted his stock south of the border to a point where he is expected to crack an NFL roster.