Bombers draft & FA camp prep

gbill2004

I understand what Brown is saying and there is some merit to it, but he's not looking at things from the correct perspective. Yeah there are a lot of Canadians playing OL, but there's a lot of Canadians playing receiver too. Is there a team that doesn't use at least one and more often 2 Canadians at receiver? It's basically a guaranteed Canadian position and with some of the recent acquisitions on the OL taking a receiver in the draft can be just as good a move because you need Canadians at receiver too. 

It's basic math too.  If every team starts basically 3 NI OL, some 4, about 70% of the OL in the league are Canadian.  70% of them are all-stars.  If 70% of the receivers in the league were Canadian, 70% of the all-star receivers would likely be Canadian too.  It`s not really comparable at this point due to how teams build their rosters, right or wrong.

Fact is you need Canadians everywhere, and a Canadian starting at corner is worth the same as a Canadian starting at OL in terms of fulfilling the ratio.  The only spot we shouldn`t draft is quarterback.

It's pretty obvious that we are going with 2 import tackles this year with the pickup of Bryant, Dile plus Daniels, Tyler and Mims. Personally I would love to have 4 non-imports on OL but it looks like the trend right now is 2-imp/3-non-imp OL.

We have 6 (or 7) bodies available now for the 3 position inside with Picard, Greaves, Neufeld, Goossen, Morley, Everett and Griffith. Plus if we need a 4th NI OL it should be a guy who can play tackle on the CFL level.

From what I read the tackle type players on the last rankings are Boyko, Groulx, Ruby and Guy. Boyko is a future pick. Groulx will probably fall on that category depending on the NFL interest and I honestly think he will be like Matt Sewell. Ruby and Guy will probably fall on the 2nd-3rd round.

I think, Walters will not spend his #2 overall for a future pick and our Canadian content is not there yet to gamble our #2 overall for a future pick.

This team needs Canadian o-linemen, period. We start more Americans than anyone and we still stink. We upgrade DelMonaco with Wylie, we still stink. Just draft the BEST o-lineman b/c it makes sense for this team.

We signed two americans who should be upgrades on the OL and we signed a veteran Canadian centre... Those upgrades plus the continued development of the guy they drafted last year should make the OL stronger and less of a problem area. We need Canadian receivers too because it's the #2 Canadian position on the team and we don't have a lot of game breaking ability there. 

This team needs top level Canadians at every position, if there's a receiver in this draft who can be that guy then by all means take him. 

This team needs Canadian o-linemen, period. We start more Americans than anyone and we still stink. We upgrade DelMonaco with Wylie, we still stink. Just draft the BEST o-lineman b/c it makes sense for this team.

This is just untrue.

This is just untrue.

If he means the number of different imports that have started on our OL over the last three years... its kind of true.

I wonder how much the fact that it will be pretty easy to keep Demski in Winnipeg past his first contract plays into their decision.

It might also be fairly easy to draw him back here after his first contract is up on another team. That's actually why I think we should draft someone else. Let Demski go through his growing pains/development into a pro on another team. Try to get him back here after.

I wonder how much the fact that it will be pretty easy to keep Demski in Winnipeg past his first contract plays into their decision.

It might also be fairly easy to draw him back here after his first contract is up on another team. That's actually why I think we should draft someone else. Let Demski go through his growing pains/development into a pro on another team. Try to get him back here after.

Yep, I like this strategy.

Yep, I like this strategy.

If that's that easy then I hope we can get Coombs after his first contract.

Is that how we landed Andrew Harris?

I'm not saying we are guaranteed to get Harris or Coombs when they become free agents, but Harris is different as he played junior football in BC and was a territorial exemption pickup for BC.

He wasn't a local kid that grew up here and played their football here.

Is that how we landed Andrew Harris?

I'm not saying we are guaranteed to get Harris or Coombs when they become free agents, but Harris is different as he played junior football in BC and was a territorial exemption pickup for BC.

He wasn't a local kid that grew up here and played their football here.

Harris was born in Winnipeg and played high school football here before going to BC to play junior football. He is also here in the off-season iirc. How is that not a local kid?