Buck Pierce as Bombers QB Coach?

gbill2004

No offensive system (no matter how good it is) works without a solid offensive line. That's the problem in Winnipeg. Our OL is terrible & has been for years. We won't get better as an offensive team until that particular unit improves greatly. 

but there are things you can do with an offense to help take some of the pressure off the offensive line, based on what has been said by players this past season there are questions whether this offense does that or it Bellefool just throws them into the deep end and says sink or swim. 

I firmly believe the Bombers OL is no worse than league average. It's the system that made them look bad last season. The offense and the OL can be improved with a few simple adjustments:

• Move the pocket around a little more. Prevents opposing defenses from zeroing in on Willy. Not saying turn Willy into Reilly or Collaros, but move him around more (10-12 times a game instead of 3-4), it'll keep the defenses honest.
  • Install/call more quick slant passes. Allow Willy to get the ball out of his hands quicker.
  • Consistently have an outlet for Willy, this can be a tight end, running back, whatever. Willy needs a safety valve when he's under pressure and can't find his primary reads.
  • Minimize the corner fade routes as part of the red zone offense.
  • Paris Cotton will help with the run game this year. He's much more elusive, has better vision and hits the holes with more authority than Grigsby.

I firmly believe the Bombers OL is no worse than league average.  It's the system that made them look bad last season.  The offense and the OL can be improved with a few simple adjustments:

1. Move the pocket around a little more.  Prevents opposing defenses from zeroing in on Willy.  Not saying turn Willy into Reilly or Collaros, but move him around more (10-12 times a game instead or 3-4), it'll keep the defenses honest. 
  2. Install/call more quick slant passes.  Allow Willy to get the ball out of his hands quicker. 
  3. Consistently have an outlet for Willy, this can be a tight end, running back, whatever.  Willy needs a safety valve when he's under pressure and can't find his primary reads. 
  4. Minimize the corner fade routes as part of the red zone offense. 
  5. Paris Cotton will help with the run game this year.  He's much more elusive, has better vision and hits the holes with more authority than Grigsby. 

It's funny that you mention this because I was thinking about this the other day. In my opinion, it's not the corner fade routes that need to go. It's that they really should not have had Romby Bryant being the one to run the majority of them.

I firmly believe the Bombers OL is no worse than league average. It's the system that made them look bad last season. The offense and the OL can be improved with a few simple adjustments:

• Move the pocket around a little more. Prevents opposing defenses from zeroing in on Willy. Not saying turn Willy into Reilly or Collaros, but move him around more (10-12 times a game instead or 3-4), it'll keep the defenses honest.
  • Install/call more quick slant passes. Allow Willy to get the ball out of his hands quicker.
  • Consistently have an outlet for Willy, this can be a tight end, running back, whatever. Willy needs a safety valve when he's under pressure and can't find his primary reads.
  • Paris Cotton will help with the run game this year. He's much more elusive, has better vision and hits the holes with more authority than Grigsby.

It's funny that you mention this because I was thinking about this the other day. In my opinion, it's not the corner fade routes that need to go. It's that they really should not have had Romby Bryant being the one to run the majority of them.

That could be a solution, but either way the corner fades stopped working as the season went on. In my opinion, a corner fade route is a high risk pass, so I'd call it much less than we did last year, especially when you only have two downs (NFL you can take more risks). Still keep it in the offense, but minimize it.

I'd like to see us sign a big, physical WR, who is like 6'5" who we can use in the red zone on jump balls. Aaron Kelly is tall, but not physical enough to use as a primary jump ball red zone guy. I had hopes Urrutia could have been that guy, but he obviously didn't work out.

SJ Green and Ernest Jackson are 2 of the group of physical receivers in the CFL. They could be available comes free agency.

I'll be really surprised if Green doesn't re-sign in Montreal.  I heard Jackson has some NFL interest.  He showed some great stuff last year but over a very short time period.  He'd be a good guy to get in here but if he stays in the CFL, someone will overpay for him and I don't think it will be the Bombers.

I firmly believe the Bombers OL is no worse than league average.  It's the system that made them look bad last season.  The offense and the OL can be improved with a few simple adjustments:

1. Move the pocket around a little more.  Prevents opposing defenses from zeroing in on Willy.  Not saying turn Willy into Reilly or Collaros, but move him around more (10-12 times a game instead or 3-4), it'll keep the defenses honest. 
  2. Install/call more quick slant passes.  Allow Willy to get the ball out of his hands quicker. 
  3. Consistently have an outlet for Willy, this can be a tight end, running back, whatever.  Willy needs a safety valve when he's under pressure and can't find his primary reads. 
  4. Minimize the corner fade routes as part of the red zone offense. 
  5. Paris Cotton will help with the run game this year.  He's much more elusive, has better vision and hits the holes with more authority than Grigsby. 

it definitely worked better with Kelly than it did with Bryant. Bryant is probably the last guy on the roster I want that play to go to. 

SJ Green and Ernest Jackson are 2 of the group of physical receivers in the CFL. They could be available comes free agency.

I'll be really surprised if Green doesn't re-sign in Montreal.  I heard Jackson has some NFL interest.  He showed some great stuff last year but over a very short time period.  He'd be a good guy to get in here but if he stays in the CFL, someone will overpay for him and I don't think it will be the Bombers.

Walters did overpay last year when he brought Moore. I'm not saying the Bombers will do that again. But you never know, Willy might want to reconnect with one of his top receivers in UB.

Walters did overpay last year when he brought Moore. I'm not saying the Bombers will do that again. But you never know, Willy might want to reconnect with one of his top receivers in UB.

That's exactly why I think they wouldn't do it again.  Can't blow all your cash on one position group.

This team should have loads of cash ... we have the least amount of "star" players in the league next to Ottawa

I think you're right.  That's why we have been able to extend so many players this off-season.  We definitely have some money to spend in free agency.  But you still have to spend it wisely.

Bring in Milt to help design some endzone plays.

Milt was clear that his success was all about determination and conditioning. He said that he was rarely the fastest guy on the field for the first 20 or 30 plays but after that he rapidly became the fastest player.

Bring in Milt to help design some endzone plays.

Milt was clear that his success was all about determination and conditioning. He said that he was rarely the fastest guy on the field for the first 20 or 30 plays but after that he rapidly became the fastest player.
that thanksgiving day game proves him wrong. Not to mention the yardage record game where he ran away from everyone early in the game in his late thirties

• Move the pocket around a little more. Prevents opposing defenses from zeroing in on Willy. Not saying turn Willy into Reilly or Collaros, but move him around more (10-12 times a game instead or 3-4), it'll keep the defenses honest.

That could be a solution, but either way the corner fades stopped working as the season went on. In my opinion, a corner fade route is a high risk pass, so I'd call it much less than we did last year, especially when you only have two downs (NFL you can take more risks). Still keep it in the offense, but minimize it.

I'd like to see us sign a big, physical WR, who is like 6'5" who we can use in the red zone on jump balls. Aaron Kelly is tall, but not physical enough to use as a primary jump ball red zone guy. I had hopes Urrutia could have been that guy, but he obviously didn't work out.

If my memory serves correct that stupid corner fade route only worked twice in the entire season, once to Kelly and once to Kohlert and they both made spectacular catches for TD's.  Hope Willy, Marcel and the O-line can get on the same page quickly because their performance in the second half of the season was dreadful.

Buck played almost a decade in the CFL. He knows how to read defenses. 

Is that why he ate turf so much?

Sure, okay. A CFL team will always play a guy who knows nothing about reading coverages out there as the long term starting qb. Ever thought a piss poor offensive line had a lot to do with it? Buck got the **** beat out of him every game because of the pylons blocking in front of him. This year it was so much better for Willy. Oh wait...

Buck played almost a decade in the CFL. He knows how to read defenses. 

Is that why he ate turf so much?

Sure, okay. A CFL team will always play a guy who knows nothing about reading coverages out there as the long term starting qb. Ever thought a piss poor offensive line had a lot to do with it? Buck got the **** beat out of him every game because of the pylons blocking in front of him. This year it was so much better for Willy. Oh wait...

Except it happened when he was in BC too so...