Buck Pierce as Bombers QB Coach?

gbill2004

Interesting tidbits regarding the offensive coaches near the end of this article from Bob Irving. Also noteworthy is that Bob Wylie is expected to return...I wonder if it's full-time or part-time?

Here's the full link: http://m.cfl.ca/article/irving-oshea-etch-couldnt-reach-compromise.

Irving: O'Shea, 'Etch' couldn't reach compromise

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers' season ended on Nov. 1, 2014. 47 days later, after much agonizing and discussion, Mike O'Shea made the most difficult call of his one-year tenure as head coach of the Bombers when he fired defensive co-ordinator Gary Etcheverry.

Given the time it took, fair to say it wasn't an easy decision. Firing friends, people you respect, never is. O'Shea says he had many discussions with Etcheverry about altering his defensive philosophy but none met with his satisfaction.

"It was a long process of evaluation and lots of time spent with Etch trying to come up with a good solution going forward," said O'Shea. "In the end, the number of changes I was going to ask Etch to make, I just felt he wasn't going to be able to truly believe in the solutions I wanted."

Etcheverry runs what could best be called an unusual and unorthodox defensive scheme which features multiples of odd-looking and off-balance defensive fronts, and which doesn't include a playbook of any kind. It's the same kind of defence he has run during his decade with various CFL clubs, and for the first half of the 2014 CFL season, it was effective enough to allow the Bombers to post a 6-3 mid-season record.

But as the losses mounted in the second half, so did the yards rushing against the Winnipeg defence, and when the season ended, the Bombers were dead last in the league in points allowed and rushing yards allowed. Etcheverry's defensive philosophy had gone from being 'quirky' to 'disastrous'.

O'Shea said he hopes to hire a new defensive co-ordinator "sooner rather than later. At the same time I don't feel like we are in any rush. We do have time."

The two leading candidates are no secret to anyone. Recently fired BC head coach Mike Benevides, who has years of experience working with defences, and long-time CFL coach Richie Hall will be the first candidates O'Shea talks to (if he hasn't already!).

And Hall, who was shunted aside as Saskatchewan's defensive co-ordinator, would have to be considered the leading contender. Hall has a wealth of experience as both a player and coach, he is respected by all, and he runs the traditional type of defence that O'Shea is looking for. O'Shea said the future of the rest of the Bombers defensive coaches would be in the hands of the new co-ordinator.

Meanwhile, O'Shea removed any type of cloud that might have been hanging over Marcel Bellefeuille's head by stating that Bellefeuille would be back as the Bombers offensive co-ordinator.

Receivers coach Markus Howell and offensive line coach Bob Wylie are also expected to return, but what happens with quarterbacks coach Gene Dahlquist is uncertain. Dahlquist joined the Bombers from the U.S. college ranks in 21014 with no CFL experience.

Logic might suggest that running backs coach Buck Pierce, who retired at the end of the 2013 season after playing the quarterback position for eight CFL seasons, might be a better choice to tutor Winnipeg's young quarterbacks Drew Willy and Robert Marve.

LOL...nice ones.  If Buck becomes QB coach, I hope he can coach a pocket passer like Willy.  Hard to say whether Dahlquist was a good QB coach or not for the CFL.  Brohm and Marve seemed to do well while Willy seemed to regress.  But was that the fault of the QB coach or the fact that he got pummeled every 5 seconds during games?

Marcus Howell...was he a bad coach or did he just have crappy receivers to work with (or was it MB's crappy play calling)?  I think it was just the receivers, specifically Bryant and Kelly...and then all the injuries to Lewis and Watson.  The amount of missed or dropped balls was bad, and I'm not talking about the ones that Willy overthrew.  And here's a question.  Willy often threw to Bryant, yet he said himself he has an issue reading past the first and second receiver.  Why in the hell was Bryant either one of those!??!

If Khari Jones becomes available, I would rather have him here as QB coach.

Buck Pierce remains to be the RB coach.

or It doesnt hurt also to promote Pierce as QB coach

then bring in Mike Gibson as RB coach.

but my guess it wont be either, what will happen is...

they will promote Pierce as QB coach

and make Paul Charbonneau as RB coach.

Bringing in someone like Khari as QB coach gives you options next year (or mid season) if unfortunately they have to make a decision on Marcel.  But would Khari be willing to take a step back and be QB coach?

Remember he was an OC with the Ticats in 2011 and moved as a QB coach with the Riders the following 2 years.

The QB coaching issue will be looked at carefully, no doubt, as that remains a huge part of our game going forward.

This is a pivotal year for Drew Willy.

He no longer has the benefit of '1st year QB label' to fall back on.

Hopefully he can work with whomever is named as QB coach whether it's still Dahlquist or Khari…and Khari would be nice.

But let's remember that a QB coach can't teach a QB pocket presence and that's what Willy has to re-establish if he's going to remain #1.

Willy's "awareness", in the pocket, wasn't great to begin with, and it suffered greatly as the year went on.

Hence…he contributed to his own sack fate.

Hopefully Willy is rejuvenated, this spring, and he and MB mesh with an improved offence.

If Khari Jones becomes available, I would rather have him here as QB coach.

THIS. Shameless Khari fanboi checking in, get that man on the Bombers coaching staff somehow already. 

Love to see KJ here as well. But that may not play out until after all the OC positions in the CFL are taken care of. As far as Buck being the qb coach I think that would be a great idea.

The love of KJ as a coach comes from the love we had for him as a player, KJ was balls to the wall, like BUCK got killed by a crappy oline and maybe hanging on to the ball too long at times. That's my opinion at least. Plus having both Buck and KJ as coaches can only help The young qb's develop. Both were pretty smart guys, obviously very good with the x's and o's of the game. 

Khari's in the running for smartest player to ever wear Blue and Gold......

This.  KJ could read a defense really well, hence why we think he's got what it takes to be a good coach.  I think he just needs a lot more experience under his belt.

Head coach, probably, but offensive coach not.

This.  KJ could read a defense really well, hence why we think he's got what it takes to be a good coach.  I think he just needs a lot more experience under his belt.

I love how some of you will give MB a million chances to prove that he has something no matter how many times he's shown he's very mediocre, but KJ get's a couple of shots and is deemed a crappy OC, yet his record is almost the same so far.  You guys blow me away with the way you think.

I love how some of you will give MB a million chances to prove that he has something no matter how many times he's shown he's very mediocre, but KJ get's a couple of shots and is deemed a crappy OC, yet his record is almost the same so far.  You guys blow me away with the way you think.

Did you not read that MOS is probably bringing back Marcel? How does that change your opinion of MOS instead of dumping on us? In other words, go complain to the HC & not us.

Did you not read that MOS is probably bringing back Marcel? How does that change your opinion of MOS instead of dumping on us? In other words, go complain to the HC & not us.

I am talking about those here who are saying that MB should get another chance, but then turn around and say KJ shouldn't be an OC.  If that isn't you, then I'm not speaking to you.  And I mean KJ as an OC in general, not specifically in Winnipeg.

Okay IC. Just sayin'. I think bringing Marcel back isn't the end of the world. Bringing Etch back would have been a huge mistake. It would have been nice to have Cortez but I just couldn't see him co existing with MOS as he wouldn't fit the kind of coaches we have here now. George is a bit crusty. Besides, I expect Cortez to resurface with Tedford in BC. Etch being gone will improve our defense immensely. Just that alone may be worth three extra wins next season.

I am talking about those here who are saying that MB should get another chance, but then turn around and say KJ shouldn't be an OC.  If that isn't you, then I'm not speaking to you.  And I mean KJ as an OC in general, not specifically in Winnipeg.

If two guys with similar averages as OCs are looked at head to head... Often, wouldn't experience be a deciding factor? I like Khari, I expect to see him become a very good OC.. he is smart and has the benefit of working with some solid coaches.. Be that as it may, I'd give the benefit of the doubt to bellfuille much easier then to khari jones at this junction..

If a new up and comer is doing as good as someone who's been around for a long time, then I'd take the up and comer.  Because chances are, he's only going to get better.  Again, I'm not talking about him as the OC for Winnipeg, just in general.  The fact that MB has had many chances to prove himself and has crapped the bed every time, yet people keep giving him more chances for some reason, and KJ has gone 8-10 with Hamilton, then 9-9 with BC (with Kevin Glenn of all people), yet people don't want to give him a chance...it blows my mind.  I think he still needs some more years under his belt, but I think he'll eventually develop into a good OC.