Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

@News1130Sports: News1130 has learned #SFU has hired Glen Fowles as new football head coach over Jeff Reinebold. Alumni were pushing for Reinebold.

Interesting hire. The AD went against the alumni, huh? SFU was burned badly by Jacques Chapdelaine. I think there's a lot of hesitation by the AD to hire a CFL assistant as a head coach now because of what happened. Jacques promised the university a long term commitment. Then he jumped to the Riders first opportunity he got after only one season as HC. SFU can't afford to be hiring their fourth HC in 4 years if Reinebold decided to jump back to the CFL a year after he was hired. Too risky so this was the safe hire. I just messaged my son what you posted. Thanks. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.  

@News1130Sports: News1130 has learned #SFU has hired Glen Fowles as new football head coach over Jeff Reinebold. Alumni were pushing for Reinebold.

Interesting hire. The AD went against the alumni, huh? SFU was burned badly by Jacques Chapdelaine. I think there's a lot of hesitation by the AD to hire a CFL assistant as a head coach now because of what happened. Jacques promised the university a long term commitment. Then he jumped to the Riders first opportunity he got after only one season as HC. SFU can't afford to be hiring their fourth HC in 4 years if Reinebold decided to jump back to the CFL a year after he was hired. Too risky so this was the safe hire. I just messaged my son what you posted. Thanks. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.  

Reinbold is such a rah-rah kind of guy, he seems the least likely coach in the CFL to pull a one-and-done on SFU.  College ball seems like the ideal atmosphere for him.  But I know nothing about Fowles, and he may well be the best man for the job anyways.

I don't think they can ever rely on a good hire to stay very long unless they put massive penalties in their contract for leaving before it expires, like a huge buyout.  Which is pretty much the same for every NCAA school outside of the power conferences, and even a bunch of the school lower on the totem pole in those conferences will have guys bolt for better jobs.  The guy they hired would probably bolt at the first offer of an OC job at a D1 or 1-AA school.

Peters would also be a nice pickup. I like Curran better, but we can't control how stupid Marcel might get.

Exactly. Walters offers $150k. Desjardins probably counters at $350k.

Aside from reading Rider forum's why do people have this impression of Desjardins?

The Bomber's won 5 free agent auctions, did they pay too much? After all they beat Ottawa all 5 times.

Taman has the highest paid Canadian receiver by a mile, Popp has highest paid receiver and Wally is paying huge for a pair of LB's yet Desjardins is the only GM ruining the league with out of this world contracts? I don't get it.

Peters would also be a nice pickup. I like Curran better, but we can't control how stupid Marcel might get.

Aside from reading Rider forum's why do people have this impression of Desjardins?

The Bomber's won 5 free agent auctions, did they pay too much? After all they beat Ottawa all 5 times.

Taman has the highest paid Canadian receiver by a mile, Popp has highest paid receiver and Wally is paying huge for a pair of LB's yet Desjardins is the only GM ruining the league with out of this world contracts? I don't get it.

It goes back to the Burris contract. Bombers offered a fair market value contract at $375k per season for two years. Desjardins countered at $475k per season for three years.

Goes back farther than that. To his days ******* around in Hamilton...

Exactly, he offered ridiculously high contracts to guys like Casey Printers that completely changed the pay scale at QB. He did this with several positions.

If the average going rate for a star receiver is 100k he will offer 200k and get his guy, well guess what every other comparable talent wants now. He has no regard for the salary structure of the CFL. He spends like a drunken sailor.

Can't say for sure as there's no evidence that Desjardins was after any of the players that the Bombers signed.  Ottawa signed SirVincent Rogers before the Bombers signed Bryant so it looks like he was their priority for Import O-lineman.  Some comments from Walters suggested that this was also the Bombers grading of the two.  Anyone know what $$ Rogers signed for?

Can't say for sure as there's no evidence that Desjardins was after any of the players that the Bombers signed. Ottawa signed SirVincent Rogers before the Bombers signed Bryant so it looks like he was their priority for Import O-lineman. Some comments from Walters suggested that this was also the Bombers grading of the two. Anyone know what $$ Rogers signed for?

Heard Rogers got $140k per season. Bryant got $160k. Rogers was seen as more attractive if the two because of perceived value. In my opinion Walters ended up getting amazing value from Bryant.

I see, it does make more sense now I suppose.

Holding a grudge because Henry isn't on the Bomber's will never make sense to me though :)

It is not a grudge about that at all. He is just a bad GM who does stupid things.

Has ridden Popp's name to two GM spots now, somehow.

I don't think you would find one person who would take Burris over Willy. He did us a favour.

Can't say for sure as there's no evidence that Desjardins was after any of the players that the Bombers signed. Ottawa signed SirVincent Rogers before the Bombers signed Bryant so it looks like he was their priority for Import O-lineman. Some comments from Walters suggested that this was also the Bombers grading of the two. Anyone know what $$ Rogers signed for?

Heard Rogers got $140k per season. Bryant got $160k. Rogers was seen as more attractive if the two because of perceived value. In my opinion Walters ended up getting amazing value from Bryant.

I honestly wouldn't of complained if we paid 200K for Bryant.

I honestly wouldn't of complained if we paid 200K for Bryant.

Yeah totally agreed.