Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

So who are our targets in Free Agency? Heenan is a given, likely Rodgers and Bryant but who else?

There is no way we get Heenan. We would have to GROSSLY overpay for SK to let him go -- he's a local boy, old man is a Riderdouche, blah blah. 

He wants to go to the NFL. Or play in SK. 

I would like to say take a huge run at him to get SK to burn a bunch of cap money to keep him, but they dont follow the cap anyway so whats the point?

I love the CFL and defend it up and down. But the way the cap is treated makes me think it needs a serious cleansing

So who are our targets in Free Agency? Heenan is a given, likely Rodgers and Bryant but who else?

There is no way we get Heenan. We would have to GROSSLY overpay for SK to let him go -- he's a local boy, old man is a Riderdouche, blah blah. 

I would like to say take a huge run at him to get SK to burn a bunch of cap money to keep him, but they dont follow the cap anyway so whats the point?

I love the CFL and defend it up and down. But the way the cap is treated makes me think it needs a serious cleansing

"IF" the CFL is serious about their salary cap rules they should occasionally conduct an official audit of suspicious accounting to keep teams in line.  I nominate Mr. Taman and his "numbers-by-napkins" system as a likely benefactor of this program. The sickening smell of fudge is beginning to waft across the prairies and it's only February.

"IF" the CFL is serious about their salary cap rules they should occasionally conduct an official audit of suspicious accounting to keep teams in line. I nominate Mr. Taman and his "numbers-by-napkins" system as a likely benefactor of this program. The sickening smell of fudge is beginning to waft across the prairies and it's only February.

That's a good point. Does the CFL conduct audits or is it all based on the honor system?

"IF" the CFL is serious about their salary cap rules they should occasionally conduct an official audit of suspicious accounting to keep teams in line. I nominate Mr. Taman and his "numbers-by-napkins" system as a likely benefactor of this program. The sickening smell of fudge is beginning to waft across the prairies and it's only February.

That's a good point. Does the CFL conduct audits or is it all based on the honor system?

Of course they do audits. Every year.

Of course they do audits. Every year.

We may have different definitions of audits. Does the CFL go through each teams books, compare their records to players actual pay etc? I thought Walters said that basically teams just submit their salary spreadsheet to the league, they review and that's it.

So my question is how thorough is the leagues review/audit? If there's no meat to the audit, teams could really abuse the SMS.

You guys sound surprised that Taman is getting all these guys in under the cap? It should come as no surprise at all. In fact, I am willing to wager that he signs Heenan at some point for over 200k as well.

This, however, does not make the Riders a better team. Common sense would dictate that Heenan should shake free because cap pressure through the rest of the lineup. Most GMs would probably agree. Not Taman...not his style. He will spend copious amounts on his top 10 players and sacrifice further down the depth chart. The star players will play like stars but the Riders will lose because Bob La Janitor and Fred Le TowelBoi  making league minimum will be starters, and there entire depth chart will be picked off the scrap pile or retirement villas of the league. Injuries will hit and the Riders will begin being decimated. The Riders will finish sub .500 and everyone will blame the vets for underperforming and a couple will be thrown under the bus or coaches will be fired, for not getting more out of the Safeway bag boys they had throughout the lineup. We have all seen this movie play out before in Winnipeg. Cripes, in 2008 we were getting beat like a rented mule but managed to put 6 players on the league Allstar team. How? Because we had zero depth on our team.

It sure appears that Taman is hell bent on not leaving any cap room for his depth. That is a good thing for the rest of the West.

There is a forensic audit of all teams financials with serious penalties involved.

That's BS. Yes, there are team financials, but the CFL has ZERO authority to go beyond the league boundaries .

I shouldn't have to remind people here of Wetenhall having Xmas parties in MTL where Als players were reportedly given envelopes of "gifts?"

You guys sound surprised that Taman is getting all these guys in under the cap? It should come as no surprise at all. In fact, I am willing to wager that he signs Heenan at some point for over 200k as well.

This, however, does not make the Riders a better team. Common sense would dictate that Heenan should shake free because cap pressure through the rest of the lineup. Most GMs would probably agree. Not Taman...not his style. He will spend copious amounts on his top 10 players and sacrifice further down the depth chart. The star players will play like stars but the Riders will lose because Bob La Janitor and Fred Le TowelBoi making league minimum will be starters, and there entire depth chart will be picked off the scrap pile or retirement villas of the league. Injuries will hit and the Riders will begin being decimated. The Riders will finish sub .500 and everyone will blame the vets for underperforming and a couple will be thrown under the bus or coaches will be fired, for not getting more out of the Safeway bag boys they had throughout the lineup. We have all seen this movie play out before in Winnipeg. Cripes, in 2008 we were getting beat like a rented mule but managed to put 6 players on the league Allstar team. How? Because we had zero depth on our team.

It sure appears that Taman is hell bent on not leaving any cap room for his depth. That is a good thing for the rest of the West.

Most depth players are hovering around the league minimum salary so I don't understand you're argument. Fans want Walters to spend top dollar for Heenan (who is just an average Canadian Olineman in my opinion) & then chastise Taman when he spends top dollar on his top players. Sorry but that doesn't compute.

Aren't you the one who said on the other site that there is no way Taman can re-sign all their top free agents? looks like they are doing exactly that.

I don't understand why it can't be like the NFL or NHL where teams just can't go over, because it's always being tracked. It seems ridiculous that the Riders have been over so many times and someone only finds out after the season is over and they've won the Cup. What's the point?

The year ends Dec 31st the last time I checked.

This, however, does not make the Riders a better team. Common sense would dictate that Heenan should shake free because cap pressure through the rest of the lineup. Most GMs would probably agree. Not Taman...not his style. He will spend copious amounts on his top 10 players and sacrifice further down the depth chart. The star players will play like stars but the Riders will lose because Bob La Janitor and Fred Le TowelBoi  making league minimum will be starters, and there entire depth chart will be picked off the scrap pile or retirement villas of the league. Injuries will hit and the Riders will begin being decimated. The Riders will finish sub .500 and everyone will blame the vets for underperforming and a couple will be thrown under the bus or coaches will be fired, for not getting more out of the Safeway bag boys they had throughout the lineup. We have all seen this movie play out before in Winnipeg. Cripes, in 2008 we were getting beat like a rented mule but managed to put 6 players on the league Allstar team. How? Because we had zero depth on our team.

The most puzzling thing is that so far they have done nothing to improve their QB depth which killed them in 2014.  Other than  sending Kerry Joseph back to his retirement villa, which is one small step in the right direction.

When EDM did it in the dynasty days  or any other team since like TOR that spent wildly it was called "unfair,unwise , evil and hurting the league".

When Riders do it they call it "building a winner".

Esk's payroll was two to three times what the other teams were paying. Comparing that to the current Riders spending less than 100k more than other teams is hilarious to say the least. How about the stamps paying Flutie one million a year, why don't we talk about that? Or the Argo with Rocket Ismail?

When EDM did it in the dynasty days  or any other team since like TOR that spent wildly it was called "unfair,unwise , evil and hurting the league".

And you call them out on Riderfans for it and they ban you. 

Before the banning they will lecture you how its okay because they've waited a long time for success and how much they deserve it  and how proud they are of not being doormats any more and their fans no longer being seen as easygoing.

Oh yeah , if you don't like it it means you're jealous.

Esk's payroll was two to three times what the other teams were paying. Comparing that to the current Riders spending less than 100k more than other teams is hilarious to say the least. How about the stamps paying Flutie one million a year, why don't we talk about that? Or the Argo with Rocket Ismail?

"WE'RE NOT CHEATING AS BADLY AS OTHERS CHEATED!!!11!!!"

don't ever change Rider fans, don't ever change. 

So we grossly overpay. It's not like the Bombers are up against the cap like the Riders. I don't know about you but I'm tired of seeing our qbs being used for punching bags by other teams defensive linemen in the league. I don't care what they pay the guy to sign him. Just sign him. 

So we grossly overpay. It's not like the Bombers are up against the cap like the Riders. I don't know about you but I'm tired of seeing our qbs being used for punching bags by other teams defensive linemen in the league. I don't care what they pay the guy to sign him. Just sign him.

How do you know the Riders are up against the cap when you don't have access to salaries? Taman said he will be aggressive on the 10th.

How do you know the Riders are up against the cap when you don't have access to salaries? Taman said he will be aggressive on the 10th.

1. Getzlaff reported salary $225,000

2. Dressler reported salary $200,000

3. Watson reported salary $120,000

4. Labatte reported salary $200,000

5. Durant reportedly makes between $300,000 and $400,000.

That's five players making 1.05 and 1.15 million on a salary cap of 5 million. I didn't include Dressler's reported $200,000 bonus so 1.1 million to 1.35 million for 5 players.

20-27% of your cap tied up in five players. I didn't include NI vet starters like Emery and Best either. Can Taman afford to add $200,000-$250,000 for Heenan. Say you're adding $250,000 for Heenan. That could be 1.6 million tied up in 6 players or a third of your cap.

There is a forensic audit of all teams financials with serious penalties involved.

That's BS. Yes, there are team financials, but the CFL has ZERO authority to go beyond the league boundaries .

I shouldn't have to remind people here of Wetenhall having Xmas parties in MTL where Als players were reportedly given envelopes of "gifts?"

Parties like that count against the cap IIRC.