Lawless - Attention O'Shea: Fire Etcheverry

gbill2004

Kirk Penton ‏@PentonKirk 10m10 minutes ago

@3lue_n_6old Sounds like there's a power struggle over Etcheverry's future right now.

O'Shea wants to keep him, Walters/Miller want him gone.

I don't want to think about it and I dont think O'shea is the kind of person.

But if the Walters & Miller will force the dismissal of Etch, I hope that wont upset O'shea and quit his HC gig here.

Que sera sera. 

Could be that O'Shea is on Etch's side and Miller's on the other while Walters is remaining strictly neutral allowing O'Shea as the coach to determine his own staff.  Miller being the alpha male and a business man probably wants to push things forward at a quicker pace to achieve a positive end result and put bums back in the seats.

What's the debate here? (Not here specifically, but between O'Shea and who ever he is having a power struggle with.)

The Bombers defence was 2nd last in yards given up.  Dead last in points per game. A bloody expansion team was better than us!

They were 2nd last in sacks and tied for last in interceptions.

O'Shea needs to wake up and make the change that is needed.  Or Walters needs to step up and make the right decision.

What's the debate here? (Not here specifically, but between O'Shea and who ever he is having a power struggle with.)

The Bombers defence was 2nd last in yards given up.  Dead last in points per game. A bloody expansion team was better than us!

O'Shea needs to wake up and make the change that is needed.  Or Walters needs to step up and make the right decision.

This shouldn't even be a debate. Bellefeuille's performance as offensive coordinator needs to closely assessed but Etcheverry ought to be a dead man walking. The dithering on O'Shea's part does not reflect well on him.

If MOS wants to be stubborn then fire him. Or he should resign on principle otherwise get on with it & bring in qualified guys. The last thing we need is a HC with a huge ego that won't listen to others higher up in the organization.

This shouldn't even be a debate. Bellefeuille's performance as offensive coordinator needs to closely assessed but Etcheverry ought to be a dead man walking. The dithering on O'Shea's part does not reflect well on him.

I agree.

If it is O'Shea that wants to keep either of these guys then im a bit worried.

I like O'Shea and hope he works out... But some things make me wonder what hes thinkin. Maybe i was sorta assuming wrong when i figured hed be more aggressive. 

And if there is a power struggle or whatever..... it concerns me. If everyone's not pulling the rope in the same direction then its not going to end well. 

Imo, this rumor of a rift is just a creation of the Bomber front office that allows MOS to fire Etch without looking like he abandoned his friend. I would be surprised if the entire organization isn't in complete agreement that Etch needs to go. MOS gets an exit strategy for Etch that allows him to move on without crippling the friendship.

This is done all the time in the business world. Managers hire family or friends thinking they will do well. They crap the bed and need to be fired. The manager goes to the owner with his problem of how to get rid of him and the owner says "tell him/her that it's me that's firing him/her and that you are really upset about it but your hands are tied...wink wink".

I've done it dozens of times for my management teams over the years,

It allows your manager to maintain balance in their personal life and still get the necessary result. It is very good for morale amongst management when an owner will be the bad guy for them when personal or family relationships come into play.

Not saying 100% this is the case here.....just that it's a possibility,

The 'friend' thing and nepotism does not belong in pro sports. Never should've happened in the first place. Certainly when it comes to an experienced CFL coach, it is a leg-up BUT only if that coach is seen to be successful. Neither of these guys, Marcel or Etch. fits that bill.  They are far from proven and their learning and accomplishment curve seems to be quite drawn out, as far as I'm concerned. Miller most likely wants a change and can see a lot of empty seats IF that isn't done. Walters is probably torn but if he can't get O'Shea on side with a change then I hate to say it, we may be looking for more than DC and OC. We seem to be always starting from scratch around here, we might as well have the right people in place going forward. I really like Mike but he's going to have to bite it on this one. His OC and DC aren't credible to a large number of Wpg. fans.

Benevides will probably stay away as his contract isn't up for 2 years more. look at LaPo. he went to work for TSN. made some good $$$ & still being paid by us. He'll really have to go back to work next season.

We are not still paying Lapo. Back at the fan forum Wade Miller said all of the fired coaches/GM/Presidents were off the books. Lapo made it pretty clear during the last off-season when he turned down a few job offers that he wasn't interested in being a coordinator again.

Benevides will probably stay away as his contract isn't up for 2 years more. look at LaPo. he went to work for TSN. made some good $$$ & still being paid by us. He'll really have to go back to work next season.

We are not still paying Lapo. Back at the fan forum Wade Miller said all of the fired coaches/GM/Presidents were off the books. Lapo made it pretty clear during the last off-season when he turned down a few job offers that he wasn't interested in being a coordinator again.

Glad to hear that, Jacquie as we are cash strapped enough as an organization carrying that heavy stadium debt. 

Etch will be gone. Likely Marcel too. 

Team is just waiting for after GC and/or talk to a few potential replacements. 

Don't want to appear like fan pressure/media "forced their hand" but its obvious what needs to happen. 

Is that a fact you heard from someone. Or is just your own speculations.

If they indeed going to fire Etch (and Marcel), why not do it now?

Etch will be gone. Likely Marcel too. 

Team is just waiting for after GC and/or talk to a few potential replacements. 

Don't want to appear like fan pressure/media "forced their hand" but its obvious what needs to happen. 

Is that a fact you heard from someone. Or is just your own speculations.

If they indeed going to fire Etch (and Marcel), why not do it now?

Its reading the tea leaves for 30 years. Plus knowing Miller.

I said Etch WILL be gone. Marcel is probable. 

And I said waiting for after GC and/or talk to a few potential replacements. 

No advantage to waiting until after the GC to fire OC/DC.  in fact GC week is a great time to interview potential replacements.  The league usually puts a stop to any firings during GC week, so we can't fire them now.  I'd like to see us replace both coordinators, but the tea leaves would suggest that we aren't going to.

No advantage to waiting until after the GC to fire OC/DC.  in fact GC week is a great time to interview potential replacements.  The league usually puts a stop to any firings during GC week, so we can't fire them now.  I'd like to see us replace both coordinators, but the tea leaves would suggest that we aren't going to.

If they can't be fired right now to keep all the attention focused on the events surrounding the festivities and the game itself, it would be bad form to interview people for a job that isn't even open yet.  To me that sort of looks bush league.

If they can't be fired right now to keep all the attention focused on the events surrounding the festivities and the game itself, it would be bad form to interview people for a job that isn't even open yet.  To me that sort of looks bush league.

If they were going to fire the coordinators they should have done it the way BC did.  Fire before the moratorium.  That being said... if the decision's been made to fire one or more coordinators and those folks have been told, then there's nothing bush league about doing interviews during GC week.

Brice... Steinhauer is a good DC who's on a team that's made it to the GC two years running.  Other than a big raise, there's nothing in it for him to leave Hamilton for the same job on the  Bombers.

If they were going to fire the coordinators they should have done it the way BC did.  Fire before the moratorium.  That being said... if the decision's been made to fire one or more coordinators and those folks have been told, then there's nothing bush league about doing interviews during GC week.

Brice... Steinhauer is a good DC who's on a team that's made it to the GC two years running.  Other than a big raise, there's nothing in it for him to leave Hamilton for the same job on the  Bombers.

Terry ... You don't know what its like working with Austin. OS and Steinhauer are friends. If the Cats get AnallyPounded next Sunday, I'm sure he'd at least entertain a job offer, especially if more money was attached