Grigsby Released!

Noeller

Loose lips sink ships. The reasoning is that O'Shea is very protective of everyone in his organization, his coaching staff, his players, no one gets thrown under the bus, he is putting all the spotlight on himself. The way the reporters in Winnipeg as leading or trapping questions he doesn't want to take the chances of someone slipping up and causing a controversy with an innocent comment that gets spun into something bigger. This isn't about him not trusting his coaching staff to say the right message, it's about recognizing what a bunch of morons the media in Winnipeg are. They like to take innocent quotes and spin controversy and try and lead people down a line of questioning to fit the column they want to write. 

Why would it be up to O'Shea to tell the media about the RCMP/closed practice issue? Isn't that Darren Cameron's job?

When that question was asked, there was a voice, in the background, that said "I did". That's just before O'Shea said "I don't have your number".

You might have noticed O'Shea looking off to the side as he heard the response.

That, I believe, was Cameron.

Of course he is claiming it isn't because he was replaced by Cotton.

http://www.cjob.com/2014/10/15/bombers-release-cfl-touchdown-leader/

At this point the Winnipeg Football Club has not commented on the decision. Grigsby did tell 680 CJOB he had a meeting with Head Coach Mike O’Shea and GM Kyle Walters but would not divulge what was discussed. He did say he spoke to several team mates who know the reason why he asked for his release but wants that conversation kept quiet. Grigsby did say, on the record, this was not related to the football club’s decision to start Paris Cotton at running back for last Monday’s 41-9 loss in Edmonton. “Correct. That was the organization’s move. They wanted another spark. Paris is a great running back. He brings an extra dynamic. He has fresh legs.”

His twitter feed says otherwise. Reading between the lines on his tweets, pretty obvious he asked to be released because he was replaced by Cotton. 

Which made no sense. Grigsby =/> Cotton

You could see this one coming from a mile away.  Many of us were discussing his tweets in the chat room during the game and commented that he's thrown his teammates under the bus and wondering what the consequences would be.  Well I guess we now know. 

Twitter...the undoing of many professional athletes.        

Guy sits out one game.....so he is compelled to badmouth his fellow players, for the fans edification, during the game..... then asks for his release.  Okeydoky...  ... Randall had it right from a teammate point of view.....you just don't do this. 

Glad MOS simply handed him his slip.   As far as I am concerned, the door remains open for any one else who does not want to stay the course.  If some players simply walked the walk....as much as they like the talk (Twiitter) ....we would be better off.....

Also don't care at this point, what particular spin, this lazy, incompetent and worthless football media, in this town......puts on it.

[sarcasm on] Asked and answered eh?  Well that's it then.  It can never be asked again, otherwise it's thought of as bitching. [/sarcasm Off]

I'd love to know what the coordinators have to say for themselves. 

I can almost sort of agree with you here.  Except that we've already been reading and hearing these guys whine about the no-coordinators access thing all year.  And it's not every day that the Bombers release their starting RB, who also happens to lead the team in touchdowns. Despite most here not being a big fan of his, it's still big news. Especially to the regular joe schmoe fans that Paul Friesen claims to speak for.

But do they focus on that?  No, it's complain about their lack of access to the coordinators, and then whine about something else that any dummy would know is obviously not the Head Coach's department.

If Darren Cameron would hold his own media availability it would probably last an hour and no one would show up to ask O'shea anything.

Why the reporters aren't allowed to talk to the coordinators is a valid question.  I'd like to know what they have to say... Wouldn't you?

That was answered in preseason though, there's no need to ask the question again because the answer hasn't changed. MOS is the voice of the team and he is going to provide one consistent message. You can argue the validity of that philosophy all you like but that's the way it is with oshea and bringing it up again isn't going to change anything so why waste time at a press conference asking it again? 

Outside of Doug Brown, I haven't read a single article in either newspaper this year. 

I'd speculate that there's only one reason why reporters want to talk to assistants and players… to create controversy.

Their primary job is to sell their owners product to advertisers. controversy sells papers.

I'd imagine the assistants are more than happy with this arrangement where they don't have talk to reporters.

I know I like it.

And one more thing... I'm sure O'Shea knows about the great game of "gotcha" that the media played with Tim Burke, Bellefeuille, and Goltz last year that pretty much cemented everyone's opinion of Burke as a clueless doofus and cost him his job.  I doubt that O'Shea wants to put himself in that position in his very first year as a head coach.

Don't most teams in the CFL have the same policy? I know Montreal did with trestman and i'm pretty sure sask and calgary and even edmonton now have the same policy. Maybe it's cuz i'm not following the other teams as much as the bombers, but seems to me that at least half the teams in the league have the same policy as o'shea. Heck pretty sure Toronto does too. 

Mitch Peacock

O'Shea asked about possibility of trading RB Grigsby instead of releasing him - "no comment" #bombers #cbcmb

LOL. Someone here called it earlier.

Not exactly. That's the problem with the media, they actually skipped the rest of that quote. O'shea actually said more but he said it's best to just say "no comment" cuz no good could come of saying more. AKA he didn't want to say that they probably tried to and were trying to but had no takers cuz most teams don't trade for average running backs. With that being said tho, drew edwards on twitter, ticats guy says he's hearing the ticats have some interest in Grigbsy. Nobody would have traded for him tho. 

Heres an example as to why our media sucks for the most part

When they asked O'shea about the release, O'shea said they gave him a couple different options, one not being his release and grigsby then asked for his release. You would assume the next logical question after that would be 'What options did you give him" but nope, didn't ask that, just moved on to something else.

This is why speaking to the coordinators is pointless, this is why actually reading the papers is pointless, it's all pointless cuz the questions that most fans want to know (i'm assuming most  fans would want to know what options grigsby was given)(i know i wanted to know), but our media don't ask that and then pretend to be speaking on behalf of the fans? what fans are they speaking on behalf of? They ain't asking the questions i want to know... 

Why not ask what the options were, that seems to be pretty relevant in this scenario, what options did they give to  grigsby, if one wasn't to be released then what the heck other options did they give him... 

I gotta LOL at those who think the media here would actually ask relevant questions, they don't even ask the obvious ones when it's right there in there face, you could see MOS almost getting ready to explain what those options were and honestly he looked surprised when the media just totally ignored it.

Speaking on behalf of the fans? Bullllllllllllllcrap and i hope to GOD o'shea knows and i'm pretty sure he knows, but i hope to god he knows that those morons do not represent the average fan. If that is the mentality tho of the average fan, we got bigger problems then who our coaches players or management are.

Totally forgot I was following this guy, but this made me laugh...

I'm nice and healthy to.

Simpson was better than Grigsby and had way more class. Would love to see a healthy Simpson back here. Doubt it happens but it would be ok with me if it did.