GDT Bombers and Eskies

IC Khari

i wonder if we ruined drew willy or he wasnt that good to begin with?

I don't think he's ruined, I think he's all beat up. But, I stand corrected, as I taped the game. Willy had ONE yard of net offense when he left. ONE. I don't give a crap how bad your oline is, or how bad your receivers are, to have one net yard of offense in almost a half of football, and this coming off of a 'mighty' performance against the REDBLACKS, and, well, I still say the Eskimos have the best D in the league, and we all know how Willy, when he and the bombers were firing all all cylinders fared, at home (3 stinking points). 

I personally am not against the man, but he, unfortunately, was blown up way to much in Wpg for what he actually is. He is no where near as good a QB as we all thought he was when we went 5 -1, but also I don't believe he is no where near as bad as his 1 - 8 record since either. He's somewhere in between, but he definitely needs a lot of help, starting with an offensive line and a running game.

Oh, for all you 'Grigsby haters' out there - can you give it a rest now? I also said Cotton wasn't as good as Grigsby - and this game proved it. At least Grigsby can be a threat to catch the ball as well.

Great great decision by O'Shea to sit out the #1 receiver in the CFL (for tailbacks) in favor of a guy who has not shown anything at all when playing against real players. I really really hope this Grigsby/Cotton debate is put to rest. Not saying Grigsby is the answer, but he's the best we got. 

And good going with Romby  over Aaron. Yeah, like a big receiver against the big Edmonton secondary wouldn't help. 

I hope Romby is oK after that hit he took, but he's not ok enough to play next week. 

One positive I drew from this game was that Brohm looked quite competent. 

In garbage time. The entire 2nd half. 

He still looked good, was throwing the ball quickly and for the most part on target. Willy had a real bad problem with bracing for a hit rather than throwing quickly lately, he's shell shocked, for his own good he needs a break. 

He still looked good, was throwing the ball quickly and for the most part on target. Willy had a real bad problem with bracing for a hit rather than throwing quickly lately, he's shell shocked, for his own good he needs a break. 

He's bracing for the hits because he's playing with sprained shoulder.

It's a shame our OL is killing this kid & it's allowed to continue. 

KptKrunch, on 13 Oct 2014 - 8:05 PM, said:

Well, not sure why some of you think the Bombers have a chance in a game here. You do realize, since 2002 they are 1 and like 50 here in Alberta. ONE win - and it was a miracle catch. And finally they pulled Drew Willy. He's getting worse and worse every game. Brohm looked way better. 27 yards of offense in the first half - what a joke. Willy is making Justin Goltz look good now. Yep - sure am glad we got him over Collaros. Even Johnny Crompton is looking better now - but what do I know eh? 

I can see your point, but one reason why Willy is not going through his progressions and getting to scan the field like we saw earlier this season, is that he feels a ghost rusher coming even when the pressure is not there.  I don't disagree that pulling him was the right move, just had to be done, but our O-line is just that bad.  It is maddening that we just can't get the right crew of people up front that could at least hold up their man for about 2 seconds.

I don't know though, these other teams have a lot more going right for them right now besides just their QB play.  I'm not saying Crompton and Collaros haven't done well, they have and certainly are part of the recent turnarounds in their respective teams, but there is a lot more behind it than just them.

The O-Line, for me, has been about as bad a shock as you can possibly have up to this point in the season.

To have so many wooden studs who are incapable to, at least run block, is a mystery.

Can we not be decent in one aspect of blocking that doesn't entail using 8 men on the line?

The recruiting in this area has to be multi times better than what we've seen, or we'll continually see the same results.

The number of sacks? Drew Willy has to accept some of the blame here, but I agree with 17…he's shell shocked out there.

Even Brohm handled the rush and got rid of the ball…got rid of the ball. There's a concept.

Bob Wylie? I expected better results, not miracles, but better results.

The number of sacks? Drew Willy has to accept some of the blame here, but I agree with 17…he's shell shocked out there.

making things worse, is that his reaction is to step up into the pocket... except there's at least one OL being pushed straight backwards and there's no pocket to step into. The kid needs a break for his physical and mental health. Brohm hasn't had the crap beat out of him for the last 3 months so he's still willing to take the hit to make a play. 

I think a lot of this stems from MB's inability to move the pocket or to sell playaction...  he was having some success early in the season but teams have caught on and, as MB has always done, he has retreated to a more conservative offence as the season progresses.

That is a fairly accurate assessment.

Collaros would have been a good fit here, I still argue that. 

Could be but Willy is beat to a pulp and I'm not sure that Collaros wouldn't be either, probably just looking at the same outcome. Damon Allen, Tracy Hamm, a younger Burris & Durant, might have chance to play all 18 games in this system.

Willy is a good fit here too if you give the guy something to work with. He's beat up though, I guarantee it. Too many shots and too many injuries. He's hurt the throwing hand at least 3 times on the season, his ankle, his shoulder... why are we surprised his efficiency has dropped? 

making things worse, is that his reaction is to step up into the pocket... except there's at least one OL being pushed straight backwards and there's no pocket to step into. The kid needs a break for his physical and mental health. Brohm hasn't had the crap beat out of him for the last 3 months so he's still willing to take the hit to make a play. 

He's a pocket passer, it's what he's been trained to do for most of his life. You could really say the same thing about rolling out - if the outside rush isn't being contained your chances of getting creamed are just as high.  

What exactly our OL has been trained to do...seems to be some great mystery

Harder to sell playaction.....when the running game is abysmal.....

and without a running QB. Marcel like Lapo really need a mobile QB as a threat to make their offences work consistently.

MB loves pocket passers...  but he also loves screens and hitches, so its surprising that we seem to have backed away from that.

But, if I can watch a game and have a pretty good idea of what MB is about to call...  I'd say Stubler or Hall have a better handle on it.

MB is a predictable playcaller who has relied on a superstar RB-SB type to make up for things.  Grigsby is not that guy.

Because the Bombers have had a laughable running game, that has opened up a whole can of worms: the opposing linebackers can drop off into coverage taking away the 5-10 yard passe, the opposing DBs can get into deeper drops and suddenly the deep routes become tougher to complete. This gives the opposing D-linemen those extra three seconds to penetrate an already porous Bomber O-line. And Willy gets hit, again and again. Then he gets blamed for holding onto the ball for too long knowing he's going to be pulped.