GC halftime act announced: Imagine Dragons

Jacquie

From CFL.ca

TORONTO – The Canadian Football League is excited to announce that Imagine Dragons will rock the half-time show of the 102nd Grey Cup this November 30th at B.C. Place in Vancouver.

“This is a dynamic young band that reflects today’s CFL and the excitement that has always surrounded our biggest game and Canada’s biggest party, the Grey Cup,” said Sara Moore, the CFL’s Vice-President of Marketing and Events. “The millions who saw Imagine Dragons steal the show at this year’s Grammy Awards, where they won a Grammy for best rock performance, will know how exciting it is that they will command Canada’s biggest stage.”

Imagine Dragons’ debut full length studio album Night Visions, released in 2012 on Universal Music Canada, has been certified 3X platinum in Canada. The album has been propelled by the amazing success of the 2X platinum selling single “It’s Time”, the 7X platinum follow-up “Radioactive” and the 5X platinum “Demons”. Rolling Stone proclaimed Imagine Dragons “the biggest breakout of the year” and Entertainment Weekly called 2013 the “Year of the Dragons.”

“We’re thrilled to be coming to the Grey Cup to entertain CFL fans in Vancouver and right across Canada,” said the Imagine Dragons’ Dan Reynolds (vocals). “Canada has supported us from the beginning so it’s always exciting to go back.”

Based in Las Vegas, Imagine Dragons also includes Wayne Sermon (guitar), Ben McKee (bass) and Daniel Platzman (drums).

The Grey Cup, the championship game of the Canadian Football League, is often the most watched television event of any kind in Canada.

To be broadcast live this year at 6 p.m. ET on TSN and RDS in Canada, and ESPN2 in the United States, it is far and away the largest single day sporting event in the country.

I've never heard of these guys.  Who are they?

They have a popular song "radio active" you'd  probably know it if you heard it

I am pretty sure it was even used in a commercial for something... I got nothing against them but based on the little I know about them it's not a good half time show pick. 

I am pretty sure it was even used in a commercial for something... I got nothing against them but based on the little I know about them it's not a good half time show pick. 

Why?

I like the choice.  I think they'll put on a good show.

Hopefully they can get a decent set up stage wise and not be propped up on a box at centre field with a dozen cheerleaders around them.

If I wanted to imagine my own halftime show it wouldn't be dragons.

WHAT!?!?  Why not?  There huge and cool and fly around and breath fire and they might even eat people.  It would be a pyrotechnic extravaganza!

Mike's admitting he hates Game of Thrones.

The real question is, will they have snowmobiles jumping over the stage?

Never heard of 'em.

Reminds me of the time I had to take the ferry over to Shelbyville to get a new heel for my shoe. I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time, anyway,back in those days nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em....

tv-simpsons-old-man-yells-at-cloud.jpg

Never heard of 'em.

Reminds me of the time I had to take the ferry over to Shelbyville to get a new heel for my shoe. I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time, anyway,back in those days nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em....

At the 1936 Olympics I threw a javelin that barely missed Hitler. But I did hit an assassin who was trying to kill Hitler. The next time I saw Hitler, we had dinner and laughed about it.

Never heard of 'em.

At the 1936 Olympics I threw a javelin that barely missed Hitler. But I did hit an assassin who was trying to kill Hitler. The next time I saw Hitler, we had dinner and laughed about it.

Weird dreams at night?

A big name rock band who are popular and radio-friendly but can also put on a show.

I'm not sure what kind of choice would be a better one. I guess if the CFL scored Jay-Z or U2 or someone like that, but beyond that, who would you say would realistically be a better choice?

(Sure, I have a bunch of bands and artists I'd personally *prefer* to see, but I don't see CFL fans clamouring for Shad or Dan Mangan or Hawksley Workman to play at the Grey Cup.)

Not a huge fan but "radioactive" is a pretty good tune for sure,  They put on quite the show at the  Grammys and in reality, they are a pretty big name. Honestly, every year the CFL announces the half time act, some people aren't thrilled. Last year it was Hedley, not a fan at all, their one song is ok only cuz i've heard it 10000000 times but... Honestly they put on a pretty good show, Imagine Dragons are guaranteed to put on a good show. That's all that really matters. 

As far as Hitler goes, i remember having play dates with the young future nazi leader and everytime my mom asked little hitler if he wanted something to drink, he'd say anything but juice so even back then you can tell he'd be a little trouble maker in the future. 

I dunno, I personally don't associate the average parka clad Grey Cup goer with cutting edge cool even if it plays out under a dome.  I've been to 4 of the frosty parties and can't do better than resurrecting Trooper for one more kick at the can before they kick the bucket.  "We're here for a good time".....you fookin bet we are and Justin Bieber is shiiiite!

It was used for Assassin's Creed III and a Lebron James commercial for earbuds. Another song called "New Age" was used for a commercial for the Defiance video game.