QB Status - Willy to Start Saturday

BigBlue

I think that we should give Willy a week of rest even if he can go this week. Despite the lack of confidence I have in Brohm, along with the importance of this game Willy's health is much more important long term than anything that could possibly happen this season. The last thing we need is for him to go out there and aggravate the injury.

I think that we should give Willy a week of rest even if he can go this week. Despite the lack of confidence I have in Brohm, along with the importance of this game Willy's health is much more important long term then anything that could possibly happen this season. The last thing we need is for him to go out there and aggravate the injury.

Agreed. While this Hamilton game is important for this season, I don't think this season is worth the long-term risk. I really don't think this team has a shot at the Cup this year, so keep him good for next year and beyond.

Seriously the Bombers need to take this decision out of the hands of Willy and put in the hands of the club doctors.  I already know O'Shea is going to say that it's up to Willy to decide but that isn't in the best interest of the football club.  Unlike BC or Calgary having their number one QB out for a season is not an issue the Bombers are remotely prepared to deal with.  Willy is an asset that needs to be managed for the long-term benefit.

I don't think it's an injury that playing on will matter for his long term health. If it's not too sore Willy will start, that's how football goes, and if get's too sore Brohm will come in and finish up.

A 300+ lb. D.E. can inflict a serious amount of pain in an instant as happened when Durant met Mr. Turner.  If he's not healed sufficiently Willy won't have a chance to get sore, it's more likely he'll get broken.

Yep, it appears to be all about pain tolerance now, so my guess is Willy starts.  Brohm and Willy are splitting reps this week, so Brohm will be more prepared than usual.  Why not start Willy and if the shoulder starts giving him pain, just put Brohm in there?  To me that's the best strategy. 

What? His degree of pain tolerance gets him the start? So he starts and risks worse damage? You think the defence on the other team is not anxious to test just how well he has healed?

It's a sprain. There is almost no chance that him playing puts him at further risk for a more serious injury. If he can stand the pain and throw a good ball there is no harm in letting him play.

Have you never had a sprain and made it worse by testing it too soon? I have..and so have many others I would guess.

It's a sprain. There is almost no chance that him playing puts him at further risk for a more serious injury. If he can stand the pain and throw a good ball there is no harm in letting him play.

Have you never had a sprain and made it worse by testing it too soon? I have..and so have many others I would guess.

For sure but for as much as some pretend, we aren't finely tuned athletes who tend to heal quicker than the average Joe. 

I don't see the risk in playing him, he could play and not get hurt at all, he could play and break his foot, totally unrelated to the sprain. You play the guy who gives you the best chance to Win and the best chance for the Bombers to win is with Willy behind centre. It is what it is. Can't worry about him injuring his shoulder because, to be quite honest, There was a good chance a few weeks ago that he could have got injured just like there is a chance of that happening every week every game. Injuries happen in pro sports. 

Sprains n strains can be played on.. They can be aggravated and they can hold up perfectly fine... The key with a strain/sprain is that no structural or permanent damage is caused by them.. With that being said, you can create a chronic pain situation if you never let one heal up properly...

Also, I believe a shoulder sprain/strain is more easily managed then say an ankle, elbow or knee..

Bombers won't win with Willy anyway - like I said in the other thread (Walters) ONE and FIVE in the last six, and that ONE was at home against Alex Brink. Bombers have come back down to earth. They're still miles ahead of last year, but we were lapped a few times so that's not saying a lot. Hamilton is playing well, Collaros (who I picked in TSN fantasy this week) is playing much better now that he understands Austin's offense - yeah, Willy should sit this one out as even a healthy Willy loses this game. Sorry folks, facts are facts and my pessimism is back on. 

On another note - Eskies should trounce the Riders on Friday :)

Bombers won't win with Willy anyway - like I said in the other thread (Walters) ONE and FIVE in the last six, and that ONE was at home against Alex Brink. Bombers have come back down to earth. They're still miles ahead of last year, but we were lapped a few times so that's not saying a lot. Hamilton is playing well, Collaros (who I picked in TSN fantasy this week) is playing much better now that he understands Austin's offense - yeah, Willy should sit this one out as even a healthy Willy loses this game. Sorry folks, facts are facts and my pessimism is back on. 

I agree with you for the most part, but I pray that the Eskies do beat the Riders, otherwise the ex-pat Rider fans on this forum will be insufferable. Somehow, I think they just might.

Totally disagree...let him get healthy first then let him play. If he is healthy this weekend great!

Agreed. A team can't be short-sighted when it comes to the health of a starting quarterback. If playing posts zero risk to his shoulder then play him otherwise let Willy heal properly.

I agree with you for the most part, but I pray that the Eskies do beat the Riders, otherwise the ex-pat Rider fans on this forum will be insufferable. Somehow, I think they just might.

Commonwealth has traditionally been a death zone for the Riders. Even with Durant I felt the Commonwealth game would be a loss. Hopefully I am wrong.

For me, it still makes sense to start Brohm against the Cats and keep Willy in reserve even if he thinks he is at or nearly at 100%. If Brohm looks clueless, he can always be yanked- early or late. The playoffs are still theoretically possible but not worth risking Willy's future for unless absolutely necessary.