Chiefs release Weston Dressler(Updated: Now signed by Riders)

gbill2004

As for Dressler.  Money talks when it comes to football careers. If Ottawa is offering that much more than the Riders I could see him going there.

Maybe.  Too high of contract makes you expendable.  If you are getting 250K per season and not performing you are impossible to trade and usually just released.  Also off-field money making ventures need to be kept in mind.  Weston has worked in Regina during the off-season for years and he could set himself up for a post-football career there quite nicely.  A guy like Matt Dominguez wasn't able to play for long and he is still making an excellent living in and around Regina.

To me, the upfront money from Ottawa would have to be ridiculously higher then Saskatchewan for him to sign there as he has just too many other reasons to stick with the Riders.

As for Dressler.  Money talks when it comes to football careers. If Ottawa is offering that much more than the Riders I could see him going there.

Maybe.  Too high of contract makes you expendable.  If you are getting 250K per season and not performing you are impossible to trade and usually just released.  Also off-field money making ventures need to be kept in mind.  Weston has worked in Regina during the off-season for years and he could set himself up for a post-football career there quite nicely.  A guy like Matt Dominguez wasn't able to play for long and he is still making an excellent living in and around Regina.

To me, the upfront money from Ottawa would have to be ridiculously higher then Saskatchewan for him to sign there as he has just too many other reasons to stick with the Riders.

You make some good points about life after football. The large contract making you expendable isn't much of an issue.  You will get paid exactly how much somebody is willing to pay you. If it turns out that Dressler isn't 250k worthy, and they cut him, he'll make 200k somewhere else.  He is a very good player and someone will be giving him the big bucks, it's just a matter of whom.

and I would humbly suggest that players can make a good living in any city post football if they have the desire to do so. Regina isn't some magical place where guys get jobs outside of football. 

The reasons for him to stay in Saskatchewan are more simple than that. He's played there for years so I would suspect he's already put some roots into the community, got that familiarity with everyone in the organization, it's a good team with possibility of playoffs or more again, whereas an Ottawa is going to a poor team. But offseason jobs? No that's not in the discussion here. 

and I would humbly suggest that players can make a good living in any city post football if they have the desire to do so. Regina isn't some magical place where guys get jobs outside of football. 

The reasons for him to stay in Saskatchewan are more simple than that. He's played there for years so I would suspect he's already put some roots into the community, got that familiarity with everyone in the organization, it's a good team with possibility of playoffs or more again, whereas an Ottawa is going to a poor team. But offseason jobs? No that's not in the discussion here. 

Post-football jobs. I'm not disagreeing that he could get those arrangements in Ottawa, but in Sask they would treat him like a movie star. Weston Dressler sells combines? I'm buying from there!

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong.

This whole notion that Rider fans are somehow better or different needs to end right now. The only thing different about Rider fans is how loudly like they to boast about themselves but they're no different than any other fan base. Get a few more Al Ford type years and we'll see how strong that fan base really is. 

This whole notion that Rider fans are somehow better or different needs to end right now. The only thing different about Rider fans is how loudly like they to boast about themselves but they're no different than any other fan base. Get a few more Al Ford type years and we'll see how strong that fan base really is. 

Who is claiming to be better?  The reality is that former Riders in Saskatchewan are treated to an especially high standard of living.  That doesn't mean that Rider fans are superior just more obsessed (overall) with their team.

I wonder what the mark is for Dressler to take the paycut to go to Sask.

I'll guess 50K is the max.

Hard to say for sure.  His girlfriend is from Regina so if they are back in Canada I'm sure she wants to be there.  Also, the Riders are where he started, who has familiarity and friends with and where he has a tonne of connections already.  He definitely won't want to get ripped off but who can blame him?

It's a recent phenomenon but a phenomenon none the less.

Who is claiming to be better?  The reality is that former Riders in Saskatchewan are treated to an especially high standard of living.  That doesn't mean that Rider fans are superior just currently more obsessed (overall) with their team.

FYP

We are comparing Ottawa to Saskatchewan. In Saskatchewan, a much higher percentage of people are fans of the Riders than that of Ottawa and the Redblacks.  There is also a higher level of fanaticism (the point where you get delusional) in Saskatchewan.

I wonder what the mark is for Dressler to take the paycut to go to Sask.

I'll guess 50K is the max.

Hard to say for sure.  His girlfriend is from Regina so if they are back in Regina I'm sure she wants to be there.  Also, the Riders are where he started, who has familiarity and friends with and where he has a tonne of connections already.  He definitely won't want to get ripped off but who can blame him?

9 out of 10 CFL players high tail it back to where they came from when they're playing career is over, mostly to be close to family.  If Dressler was any kind of College star the business opportunities for him in the N.D. would likely dwarf what could happen for him in Canada especially if he was ever a member of a fraternity.  Just look at how far George Bush got in life.

Who is claiming to be better?  The reality is that former Riders in Saskatchewan are treated to an especially high standard of living.  That doesn't mean that Rider fans are superior just more obsessed (overall) with their team.

The mistake you are making is thinking that these guys are successful post football only because they were riders. There are lots of people all over this country who enjoy a high standard of living who never played football. People who succeed after football would succeed whether they played football or not. There's plenty of ex Bombers made a living in Winnipeg when their playing days were done, there's tons in Calgary too. Just because they're recognizable in places that actually have fans doesn't mean they succeed only because the fans recognize them.