Riders unveil their new barn

I'm not a fan of the half open, half closed designs.  Terrible shadows, no sun on the seating area.  Not worth it for the 1-2 games it might rain.  Works for British soccer stadiums cause they get rain/cloud cover for 35 games and sun for 4-5 games.

But, they had the same pressure we did here with people saying why not a dome?  We compromised with the covered seating area, they are calling it "roof ready" just in case someone trips over $250 million to turn it into a dome.

I'm not a fan of the half open, half closed designs.  Terrible shadows, no sun on the seating area.  Not worth it for the 1-2 games it might rain.  Works for British soccer stadiums cause they get rain/cloud cover for 35 games and sun for 4-5 games.

But, they had the same pressure we did here with people saying why not a dome?  We compromised with the covered seating area, they are calling it "roof ready" just in case someone trips over $250 million to turn it into a dome.

Roof ready is laughable. They said it would take $300 million and 16 months to complete. By the time they can afford another $300 million the place will be ready to be torn down and a new one built.

Nice looking building but fairly similar to IGF with the sunk in design and wrap around wider concourse.

My brother in law is a civil engineer in Vancouver. He saw pics  of our stadium & said that our cantalievered covered stands could also be "Roof Ready" & could be converted into a full cover if they wanted at considerable expense. But it is possible. 

And Hamilton fans think their new stadium is special? Sure. 

Of course it is. According to Zach Collaros it's better than IGF.

Well, now the truth is out. The Bombers didn't sign Collaros because he is totally divorced from reality. Considering how bad the old Ticat stadium was, it wouldn't take much for the renovations to be spectacularly better.

My brother in law is a civil engineer in Vancouver. He saw pics of our stadium & said that our cantalievered covered stands could also be "Roof Ready" & could be converted into a full cover if they wanted at considerable expense. But it is possible.

Anything is possible. They could make this roof out of gold and pixie dust too. Never happening.

My brother in law is a civil engineer in Vancouver. He saw pics of our stadium & said that our cantalievered covered stands could also be "Roof Ready" & could be converted into a full cover if they wanted at considerable expense. But it is possible.

Anything is possible. They could make this roof out of gold and pixie dust too. Never happening.

Never say never!

Imagine the job it would take to make an outdoor stadium into a covered or domed stadium that could be used all year long. The cost would be absolutely enormous. I don't think it'll ever happen in Regina. 

The problem with it isn't that it couldn't happen, it's how would it happen and where would the team play in the meantime. I find it very hard to believe you could convert the roof in one off season, especially considering the winters us folks in the prairies get. I just don't think it could be done and the team would have to play somewhere else for a while, Just not worth the hassle really to roof non roofed stadiums. 

Haha that's a good point.... I remember when they first determined a $400M retractable roof stadium was "feasible".... I was discussing it with a Rider fan friend and he was convinced it would happen, to which I responded "where. exactly, is this magical $400M gonna come from?!?"

I don't want a covered stadium.   Nothing beats sitting outside on a summer Friday evening watching Blue Bomber football.  I will gladly suffer through the couple of really cold games we get to be outside in the summer for most of them.

I agree completely... for everyone who has told me they wanted a covered roof I said is it really worth having a roof for the one game in Nov when it's -15 and then losing out on the other 8-9 games in the beautiful summer weather.... Imagine a beautiful July saturday, 25 degrees, then showing up to the stadium to sit inside and watch football... 

• 3 months later...

It's a nice looking building for sure, I will say this though, all these buildings look pretty sweet on paper but in reality, they may end up looking similar to the "drawing" but it will never ever be 100 percent exactly like the drawing. It's still a beauty though. Just saying i wouldn't expect it to look like it does on paper. Looks more like a soccer stadium to me but i still like how it looks.

HKS Architects who designed Regina's stadium always have renderings identical to the finished product.

http://www.hksinc.com

This firm has designed NFL venues in Dallas, Indy, & the new Minneapolis stadium.

Also if you want to follow the construction of the new Riders stadium check out @YQRstadium