CFL Draft Day Discussion Thread

Mike

So how pro-ready is Goossen? 

I've stated my stance throughout the process, but Walters and O'Shea were non-committal to him starting right away, so tough to gauge what they feel.

I came away that they feel he will need some time.

So to sum up who Winnipeg chose, they are:

Matthias Goossen - OL - Simon Fraser (2nd overall)

Jesse Briggs - LB - McGill (17th overall)

Derek Jones - DB - Simon Fraser (29th overall)

Quinn Everett - DL - Mount Allison (47th overall)

Aram Eisho - LB - McMaster (56th overall)

Jeff Hecht, Calgary Stampeders safety was quite critical of Quinn Smith after his positive test... will be interesting to see how that goes over.

I've never heard of this Hecht character. Is he even a lock to make the team?

He was the backup to Fraser last year... not sure what their plan is right now but he would be in line to compete with MacDougall for the spot at this very moment.

I think the Stamps are looking for Jeff Hecht to start at safety or they would have protected Eric Fraser in the expansion draft. McDougall's career has been marred by one injury after another since he joined the team 3 seasons ago. I don't think Huff knows how good he could be. 

Winners and losers...

Great

Calgary - Lavertu, Smith and Caron - just keep getting stronger... plus LDT and Thibault gambles

Sask - traded out of first round and still ended up with Ainsworth and Bastien, loaded up on OL late

BC - Glenn, Player, Chin - filled some holes for sure

Good

Winnipeg - Safe draft with Goossen and Briggs, waiting on Neufeld now

Toronto - Nice move to get Coombs

Hamilton - Some nice talent, still targetting LBs and DL

Bad

Ottawa - Did they have Mack on the phone?

Edmonton - Another Cdn receiver??? Trying to see a plan here...

Winners and losers...

Great

Calgary - Lavertu, Smith and Caron - just keep getting stronger... plus LDT and Thibault gambles

Sask - traded out of first round and still ended up with Ainsworth and Bastien, loaded up on OL late

Good

Bad

No, Mack doesn't trade anything to other CFL teams.  Desjardins is stupid all on his own.

Agree that Calgary did some really great picking last night.

Oh...and Mike called it.  No matter what it was... ;)

Bombers turned down 5+12 for Goossen.

I'm actually glad they did. I'm not in love with the Goossen pick but I certainly would not have wanted 5+12. Coombs or Pruneau would've been my picks at 5 and neither one was there. Evan Gill or Quinn Smith would've been my targets at 12 and neither one was there, going off who WAS available, I'm sure that Briggs would've been the pick at 12 and we got him much later anyways.

Winners and losers...

Great

Good

Bad

I guess I don't necessarily see it the same way as you ...

Calgary A+

They knocked this one out of the park, nearly every pick they made was perfect. They legitimately got three players that were talented enough to go first overall, drafting Caron and Thibault could pay huge dividends as well. Fantastic work by Hufnagel.

Toronto B+

Value value value. Coombs in the first round is a home run swing, need to see if it clears the yard still but every other pick was great value. Dupuis, Black, Fletcher and Corrado late in the night is just excellent use of resources and their project was an OL pick (Dhillon) unlike a lot of teams that went for projects in strange positions

Winnipeg B

Strong use of the picks they had, assertive in working the draft board to get what they want. Goossen not the popular pick in my eyes, but the need was there. Briggs and Jones in the spots they fell to are great value, they are both top 15 picks in a draft where everyone goes best player available. Everett is a project where your projects should be (OL) and meh, the worst thing I can say is I don't like their 7th rounder. Oh well.

BC B-

The only reason this is a B- and not a B is because while I understand the purpose, I don't like the value of pure fullbacks that early. Chin is a good pick and while I don't like Menard, he's a strong pick at that point in the draft. BC is one of those teams that you can tell they adjusted as the draft went on, which is not something you can say about every other team.

Saskatchewan B-

I like what they did for the future, but it's hard to give them a very strong grade because I look down their draft board and don't see anything in terms of projectable starters. I see projects and I see special teamers. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think they can say they improved anything but their backend depth today.

Montreal C

Montreal did what they always do, which is follow their board and never stray from it. They stayed true to form even as guys with better potential value fell to the picks around them. Montreal never seeks value, they just go down their own personal list without the Finley in the 3rd is baffling, Andrew Smith in the 4th is also "interesting" but I do like what they did with their early picks. Lue and Foucault are strong, everything else is somewhat confusing.

Hamilton C-

Hard to judge their body of work since they really didn't have much to work with. Aside from him being a Manitoba boy, Evan Gill is a risky pick for a team like Hamilton because he's one of your two top 40 picks and he may not even consider coming to camp this year as he gears up for the NFL next year. Moving up to get Landry confused me for the price they paid and the other guys are wait and see types. I do like Pesek though.

Ottawa D

Can't get on board with this. I like Pruneau, he'll be a starter for them this year and probably a deserving one at that. Almost every other pick is a head scratcher, not because of what positions they took but because of who they filled them with. One pick that I really think is brilliant was Hugo Desmarais. He quit football two years ago because of concussion issues, but if he ever decides to try a comeback, he was considered a surefire first rounder when healthy. But potential brilliance in the fifth round when you bomb almost everything else doesn't get you a good grade in my books.

Edmonton F

The one pick I like is Raye Hartmann, he was ranked slightly above Derek Jones on my board but everything else is just baffling to me, especially the trade they made. Trading out of the top three to draft another guy at your ONLY position of strength and then using the additional pick you acquire in the second round to go WAY off the board and pick a guy pretty much everyone else had outside of the top 30-35 picks is just plain bad.

I'm actually glad they did. I'm not in love with the Goossen pick but I certainly would not have wanted 5+12. Coombs or Pruneau would've been my picks at 5 and neither one was there. Evan Gill or Quinn Smith would've been my targets at 12 and neither one was there, going off who WAS available, I'm sure that Briggs would've been the pick at 12 and we got him much later anyways.

That's not what you were saying yesterday. You were fully supportive of Bombers trading down to get more value from the draft.

That's not what you were saying yesterday. You were fully supportive of Bombers trading down to get more value from the draft.

I can project all I want but in hindsight, it was obviously a smart move to stay solid at 2 and that's why they're the professionals running the draft and I'm the guy posting on a website. I even posted yesterday I would've preferred something like 5+Haidara as opposed to 5+12 but the way the board fell, 5+12 would not have been very good for us. Mainly because I think our target at 12 would've likely been Briggs anyways. Look at the run on guys at 12-16. For our team needs, would you swap any one of them straight up for Briggs? I wouldn't.

The 5+12 deal just would've ended up being a mistake with the way the board fell.