CFL Draft Day Discussion Thread

Mike

Walters should be in the "Great" category for draft performance. He essentially got two first rounders (Goossen and Briggs) and a second rounder (Jones) in the first four rounds. Goossen and Briggs will be starters for the Bombers; Briggs won't be this year though.

Privately, I'm sure Walters is giggling like a little school girl.

Walters should be in the "Great" category for draft performance. He essentially got two first rounders (Goossen and Briggs) and a second rounder (Jones) in the first four rounds. Goossen and Briggs will be starters for the Bombers; Briggs won't be this year though.

but like all drafts you can't make that call until we see how these players develop. Maybe those first and second round players he got later fell for a reason? Give it time we'll see how Walters stacks up. 

Who do u guys like at safety then if Alexander will be field cb

Sears or Washington. Maybe one of the new guys.

I thought they wanted that to be a Canadian spot?

I always thought it would be Alexander at Safety with Bucknor at Field Corner. But If Alexander is better at Corner hopefully Newman can really step up and be a good safety for us.

I just can't see two Canadians in the secondary. I see it as 4 OL, 2 REC, 1 rotating on D

Two NIs starting in the secondary is unlikely, but ocassionally occuring as part of 3 OL, 2 REC, 1 DB and 1 rotating on D is quite possible.  This has to be Walter's/OShea's backup plan if none of our NI's meet the minimum standard needed for a starting right tackle.

but like all drafts you can't make that call until we see how these players develop. Maybe those first and second round players he got later fell for a reason? Give it time we'll see how Walters stacks up. 

Everybody has a different draft board, there doesn't have to be a reason why a player falls. Example: Eskimos drafting Aaron Milton at 15. I doubt many - if any - other teams had him that high.

Briggs wasn't even ranked in the Top 15 by the scouts, so he went where "they" expected. Bombers and myself had him in the Top 10.

I always thought it would be Alexander at Safety with Bucknor at Field Corner. But If Alexander is better at Corner hopefully Newman can really step up and be a good safety for us.

I just can't see two Canadians in the secondary. I see it as 4 OL, 2 REC, 1 rotating on D

Two NIs starting in the secondary is unlikely, but ocassionally occuring as part of 3 OL, 2 REC, 1 DB and 1 rotating on D is quite possible.  This has to be Walter's/OShea's backup plan if none of our NI's meet the minimum standard needed for a starting right tackle.

Agree with this.  I'm not a huge fan of Neufeld, and I don't think it will be that hard for Newman, Thomas, Lucas and Bucknor, maybe Stephan and Briggs as the season goes on, to cover all defensive snaps one at a time.  Having 2 NI's on the field defensively is much less of a liability (given the guys we've added who can play a little bit) IMO than having Neufeld chasing after edge rushers, not allowing any of our QB's to confidently set up in the pocket.

If Neufeld is capable of starting at RT, fine.  But I'd hope we wouldn't stick him in that critical spot out of ratio desperation.  I think we also need to see him healthy before he can be pencilled in.

Agree with this.  I'm not a huge fan of Neufeld, and I don't think it will be that hard for Newman, Thomas, Lucas and Bucknor, maybe Stephan and Briggs as the season goes on, to cover all defensive snaps one at a time.  Having 2 NI's on the field defensively is much less of a liability (given the guys we've added who can play a little bit) IMO than having Neufeld chasing after edge rushers, not allowing any of our QB's to confidently set up in the pocket.

If Neufeld is capable of starting at RT, fine.  But I'd hope we wouldn't stick him in that critical spot out of ratio desperation.  I think we also need to see him healthy before he can be pencilled in.

I'm betting that both Pencer and  Neufeld will be solid linemen and Newman will win a starting role. I'm not sure if these will be great surprises, but if this works out, it would solve a lot of ratio problems for time to come.

I think its really important Neufeld either starts at RT or is the first reserve (6th OL) for most games. He has to be stronger, smarter and a bit quicker than Steve Morley who probably represented the biggest weakness in last year's o-line. 

The fact Morley remains on board (pencilled in as a starter, no less) speaks volume about the trials and tribulations yet to come!

Poor Steve Morley. It's not his fault that management hasn't been able to find someone better. I thought his best year was in 2009 as our right tackle.

I agree this was his best season. He actually started at LT, and January started at RT. To start the season, RT was actually the blind-side as Lefors was our starter at QB.

Poor Steve Morley. It's not his fault that management hasn't been able to find someone better. I thought his best year was in 2009 as our right tackle.

I agree this was his best season. He actually started at LT, and January started at RT. To start the season, RT was actually the blind-side as Lefors was our starter at QB.

You're right, I forgot about that.

Some picks in the nfl draft that might concern us

Greenbay picked OLB Carl Bradford in the 4th round.... Competition for Mulumba?

Indy picked ILB Andrew Jackson in the 6th, though I highly doubt he can push Henoc back to the cfl

Cincinnati didn't pick any DT's.... Not sure how high they are on Bilukidi though... Anyone know? (Though they do have a total of 8 DT's listed on their roster)

Indy picked ILB Andrew Jackson in the 6th, though I highly doubt he can push Henoc back to the cfl

Cincinnati didn't pick any DT's.... Not sure how high they are on Bilukidi though... Anyone know? (Though they do have a total of 8 DT's listed on their roster)

I would say Bilukidi is in tough to make the team.  They will likely roster four defensive tackles... Domata Peko is 30 years old but he has played his whole career in Cincinnati, I can't see him being cut.  They also have Brandon Thompson and Devon Still who they used a 3rd rounder and 2nd rounder on, respectively, in the 2012 draft.  The other likely DT is Geno Atkins who just signed a 5 year extension.... BUT he also tore is ACL last season so it is unclear if he will be ready for the start of the season or not.  There are likely going to have to be some injuries on the DL for Bilukidi to crack the lineup.  Also, I believe he has played in too many games to be signed to a practice roster.

I would say Bilukidi is in tough to make the team.  They will likely roster four defensive tackles... Domata Peko is 30 years old but he has played his whole career in Cincinnati, I can't see him being cut.  They also have Brandon Thompson and Devon Still who they used a 3rd rounder and 2nd rounder on, respectively, in the 2012 draft.  The other likely DT is Geno Atkins who just signed a 5 year extension.... BUT he also tore is ACL last season so it is unclear if he will be ready for the start of the season or not.  There are likely going to have to be some injuries on the DL for Bilukidi to crack the lineup.  Also, I believe he has played in too many games to be signed to a practice roster.

Having Bilukidi on the BB roster would be a real surprise, more than welcome, and is starting to sound possible.

Mulumba was getting a lot of playing time due to injuries last year in GB and played fairly well it seems. I think he lasts in GB at least one more year.

Getting Bilkukidi in late august/early september may happen.

Bilukidi was looking like he was on track to become a starter in oakland and they cut him... You never really know.. Hopefully we'll see Mulumba up here sooner than we think!

Muamba and Mulumba have loads of practice roster time left in the NFL.  Won't be here anytime soon.

Bilikudi looks to be ineligible for NFL practice rosters, at most he has one season of eligibility left.

By my understanding of the practice roster rules, Bilukidi definitely has no time left, and neither does Andy Mulumba.

• A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
  • If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.

Mulumba dressed for 14 games last year, which would make him ineligible.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/31/4677982/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility

Mulumba was getting a lot of playing time due to injuries last year in GB and played fairly well it seems. I think he lasts in GB at least one more year.

Getting Bilkukidi in late august/early september may happen.

I think the Packers consider Mulamba a totally expendable depth player.  Injuries gave him a shot and like you said, he did play fairly well.  I agree Green Bay won't expend him this year, and when they get around to it Mulamba will try and get his foot in the 31 other doors, just like Bilukidi did.  I thought we'd see him in a Bomber uni by 2015; maybe 2016 is becoming more realistic.  Bilukidi squeezing another year out of the NFL vs being here in the fall?  50-50?

Hard to judge their body of work since they really didn't have much to work with. Aside from him being a Manitoba boy, Evan Gill is a risky pick for a team like Hamilton because he's one of your two top 40 picks and he may not even consider coming to camp this year as he gears up for the NFL next year. Moving up to get Landry confused me for the price they paid and the other guys are wait and see types. I do like Pesek though.

Dont know where you got info from but he's made it clear he's coming to camp and wants to play.

Good news for the University of Manitoba Bisons football team might not be seen in the same light by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Bisons defensive tackle Evan Gill, whom the Ticats took with the ninth overall pick in the CFL draft earlier this month, has decided to go back to school this fall instead of signing his first pro contract with the Tabbies.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/05/26/evan-gill-opts-to-play-another-year-with-bisons-instead-of-joining-cfls-ticats