Stadium Flooded

Atomic

When the flash flood drowned the great hockey rink in Calgary last year the administrators immediately allowed camera and reporter access. Drainage, write-offs and repairs were enacted in short order and the rink was ready just weeks later for events. Nobody blamed the Flames, their executive group or the team GM for a rather violent act of nature. 

There were a half dozen photos tweeted by an operations manager of the Saddledome.  They didn't let reporters in, how would they get in, swim?

Mini subs. Well, months, Nate about 3 1/2. 

Anyone hear Paul Edmonds on TSN1290 just now?  He made some good points about the leaking.  It's a new building never designed before.  You don't know which way water will go until it is built.  You can design all you want but it might still find it's way in.  You fix it and then it's dealt with.  He also mentioned that apparently it happened at Shaw park when it was built as well.   

Anyone hear Paul Edmonds on TSN1290 just now?  He made some good points about the leaking.  It's a new building never designed before.  You don't know which way water will go until it is built.  You can design all you want but it might still find it's way in.  You fix it and then it's dealt with.  He also mentioned that apparently it happened at Shaw park when it was built as well.   

Yet you have our dear Mayor making a big show of the mess at IGF ..

Here's the thing about letting the media in for photos...

Inevitably the photos they take would make things look much worse w.r.t. how bad the damage was then what the situation really is.

Most people simply don't have perspective because any sort of water damage in the property they do know about (their house) is a huge pain and cost. 

People might freak out over something that is easily fixed and won't be noticeable come game day and Miller is trying to prevent that - I can assure you he will let media in once things are fixed up enough that no freaking out will occur.

If I was Miller I'd be in front of this by inviting "friendly" media in for a look (no pics).  I'd admit there is a problem.  its not like it's Miller's fault.  But the Bombers have to be careful with the blame since they *need* a good relationship with the NDP, at least for another few months.

Edwards is off-base in my opinion.  If this was the first stadium ever built, then fine.  But to suggest no one knows where the water will go is ludicrous.

Once Asper dropped out, the province should have brought in someone to fully access the situation, including design.  If it cost $10 million more, so be it.  But they all had this crazy idea theyd build the stadium in a few months.

Even adding on another $10m, this is a great stadium.  Just fix it.  if Im the PC's, I hang this around the NDP's neck...and then when the next eelction is over, the PC's should step up with re-financing or whatever and end any more talk about the Stadium, Bombers or loan issues.  Just solve it for good.

The story was going to get written last night no matter what.  By not letting reporters in to see the damage, Miller guaranteed that it was going to be aa negative story about the Bombers.

It's Paul Friesen, it was always going to be a negative story about the Bombers even if Wade Miller gave him a handy to go along with the tour. That's Friesens entire schtick, be as negative as possible. He's just a bad troll trying to get people worked up. 

The idea is to channel Friesen's negativity towards the builders and/or architects where it belongs, instead of towards the Bombers.  

The only thing the Bombers may have done wrong is hire the wrong architect or builder or both.  When you're having something built, you leave it up to the professionals to handle how water is controlled.  I doubt there is a single person on the Bombers staff who has the credentials to do it.  You have to trust the professionals you hire to do their job.  If they don't do it properly, you expect them to fix their mistakes.  That's what the story should be right now.  "Bombers get screwed by the architect/builders"  or "Taxpayers get screwed by the architect/builders" or even "Who screwed up the new stadium?" complete with pictures of the destruction and discussion of who's fault it is.  

Yeah cause Friesen is always fair and balanced right? Guy was going to crap on the Bombers regardless because that's what he always does. I approve of Miller telling him to piss off. 

Yeah.  The first video is just snow melting lol.  

Yeah.  The first video is just snow melting lol.  

NOOOO NOT MELTING SNOW...Man that's gonna cost us a few million at least.

:D

It figures that Nate would go ahead and compare this to what happened in Southern Alberta last year......where the entire downtown of Calgary was under water, never mind nearly the entire city of High River! The sheer volume of water that consumed those places, vs some melting issues on a new building......I'd call it a crass comparison at the very least. Least surprising thing ever from MJB...

Yet you have our dear Mayor making a big show of the mess at IGF ..

And last year when the Bombers were at their lowest point on the field, and before the team had even missed a single loan payment, Selinger was threatening to have the government take over the team.

Point being, politicians love to pile on the Bombers when they're down in order to win cheap points with the miserable Bomber-hating complainers in this city (and there are a lot of them. We call them "Winnipeggers").

The story was going to get written last night no matter what.  By not letting reporters in to see the damage, Miller guaranteed that it was going to be aa negative story about the Bombers.

It's Paul Friesen, it was always going to be a negative story about the Bombers even if Wade Miller gave him a handy to go along with the tour. That's Friesens entire schtick, be as negative as possible. He's just a bad troll trying to get people worked up. 

The idea is to channel Friesen's negativity towards the builders and/or architects where it belongs, instead of towards the Bombers.  

The only thing the Bombers may have done wrong is hire the wrong architect or builder or both.  When you're having something built, you leave it up to the professionals to handle how water is controlled.  I doubt there is a single person on the Bombers staff who has the credentials to do it.  You have to trust the professionals you hire to do their job.  If they don't do it properly, you expect them to fix their mistakes.  That's what the story should be right now.  "Bombers get screwed by the architect/builders"  or "Taxpayers get screwed by the architect/builders" or even "Who screwed up the new stadium?" complete with pictures of the destruction and discussion of who's fault it is.  

Yeah cause Friesen is always fair and balanced right? Guy was going to crap on the Bombers regardless because that's what he always does. I approve of Miller telling him to piss off. 

Of course you approve.  You liked the way Kelly handled the media too.

Shaw Park had terrible drainage issues at the field level the first season after it opened, which IGF had as well, some were addressed when the field was installed.  IGF has water seeping through concrete from the upper deck and concourse into weather protected areas.  I'm not an engineer, but I think the amount and severity of these issues are quite unusual and significant.  The seepage into the visitors dressing room was known last winter too and left unaddressed.  Just the sheer amount of concrete work they had to do last minute for egress from the field for Taylor Swift (apparently they didn't think of that when designing) and work they had to do in the seating area to bring it up to code is amazing.  Hard to believe someone paid millions of dollars for a design that didn't even hit the basics.

Wonder if they have a plan for expanding for the Grey Cup, or if they'll just figure it out.   :unsure:

It was one of the few things he did right. Joe Mack had the same attitude and I approved of that as well. The media wants to act like entitled brats I wouldn't give them anything either. The brand is strong they don't need the media to pump their tires they just have to put a winning product on the field. 

It was one of the few things he did right. Joe Mack had the same attitude and I approved of that as well. The media wants to act like entitled brats I wouldn't give them anything either. The brand is strong they don't need the media to pump their tires they just have to put a winning product on the field. 

Then don't complain about negative articles because they are a byproduct of the way the Bombers treat the media.  You can't have it both ways.

You only have to look at the article written by Bartley Kives in the Free Press to see how this 'leak' story should have been written.

There is no mention of Miller and no turning of phrases painting the spokesman as the villain.

No chastising…no throwing out meaningless numbers on how much it will cost to fix the problem….just the story.

Just compare the two stories and you'll see why there is a Prestone-type disdain when it comes to Friesen.

Should the Bombers foster better relations with the media?

Sure, but only when the pen doesn't come poisoned to begin with.

The Winnipeg Football Club says water has damaged suites and the visitor’s dressing room at the city’s new football stadium, which opened at the University of Manitoba’s campus last spring.

A spokesperson for the club declined to describe the extent of the damage and also declined requests to see the interior of the structure. The club deferred all further comment to BBB Stadium, the non-profit entity responsible for building Investors Group Field, whose stakeholders are the Bombers, the city, the province and the University of Manitoba.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Melting-snow-damages-new-stadium-254417861.html

Then don't complain about negative articles because they are a byproduct of the way the Bombers treat the media.  You can't have it both ways.

You've got it backwards. Friesen has always been the way he is, that's not a result of the way the team has treated the media just the way Friesen tries to stay relevant in a world that needs newspapers and self entitled columnists less and less. I complain because Friesen is **** at his job, if he doesn't want to do the job well then I am all in favour of the team not giving him anything. He's got to earn it. 

Two things I don't like:

This town's media.

And the "WE HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW!!!!!!!!" group.

Contrary to popular belief, buying a ticket or being a taxpayer does not mean you are a key decision maker on Blue Bomber events.  They are required to give us some information, but that is it.  

If Miller keeps this up, I will be very impressed.  It's about time someone let the media know they either need to write fairly or learn to deal with the consequences.