2014 CFL Draft blog

Mike

I know Jesse Briggs on facebook. I used to coach him here in Calgary. He said the Bombers are very interested in him. They have shown the most interest of any team leading up to the Combine. Of course, like any player he'd be happy to be drafted by any CFL team. We'll see what happens.

My picks for stock up / stock down this weekend ...

Stock up ...

DB Derek Jones - fast 40 yard time and he performed well in the one on ones. Teams wanted to see him line up against CIS guys coming from a NCAA school and he held his own

DL Quinn Smith - dominant against the OL in drills, he won every single snap he took. Stock goes way up.

LB Jesse Briggs - stood out as a mostly unknown against a strong LB group, very impressive testing numbers

Stock down ...

DB? Adam Thibault - fastest in the 40 but he's a guy without a defined position and he got hurt before scouts had a chance to try and give him one

LB Max Caron - speed was a concern coming into this weekend and he tested poorly.

REC Kris Bastien - came in as arguably the #2 receiver behind Devon Bailey and failed to seperate himself from the pack

Is there anywhere I can watch the one on one's?

The CFL did a pretty good job putting up video of the combine. I still don't understand why they can't put out a spreadsheet like they used to with the actual measurements of the players. I want to know what the players weighed in at, and I want to see the arm length of the linemen. This info used to be made available, but not anymore.

Specifically, I'm curious what Ainsworth weighed in at. His speed numbers were great, but if he was 225 lbs. they lose some value. Also interested in the arm length of the OL prospects, to see who realistically could be a tackle prospect vs. guard. Arm length also can give a glimpse into a DL to OL conversion prospect like Greaves was.

That decision was a bad one considering the Bombers are trying to get that second round pick from what I've read. Now they'll have to give another asset up to get it.

Not really. We traded our 2nd rounder for a position of need (OL). If we can now obtain a similar 2nd round pick in exchange for a position of strength, for example a NI DB like Cauchy, that would be a very shrewd move by Walters.

Cauchy isn't going to get a 2nd rounder and safety isn't a position of strength.

Cauchy is a big reason that safety isn't a position of strength. IF someone was willing to let a 2nd rounder go for Cauchy I'd be thrilled.

Alexander and Newman can both play safety.

People aren't saying we don't have any safeties. What they're saying is we're not sure if we have any good ones.

And I'm saying Alexander and Newman are good safety's.

Tough to say for sure. I wouldn't bet either way on that one, they could be good but we also thought Cauchy was going to be good because he came advertised as such.

Alexander just got cut from a team with possibly worse Canadian depth than the Bombers and Newman has a grand total of 8 career defensive tackles.  The jury is definitely still out on what exactly we have to work with at safety.  When all is said and done it might even be Matt Bucknor who sees the most time as our starting safety... just way too early to tell.

Im pretty confident that one of cauchy, newman,.bucknor or alexander will be "the" safety with possible rotation in and out. robertson could also be a dark horse for the spot if he grades out well enough in tc and ps.

Im pretty confident that one of cauchy, newman,.bucknor or alexander will be "the" safety with possible rotation in and out. robertson could also be a dark horse for the spot if he grades out well enough in tc and ps.

Sure one of them will be the safety because there really is no one else and we don't have the NI in other areas to play an import there.  The question will be is will any of them be any good, or will they hurt us...

Sure one of them will be the safety because there really is no one else and we don't have the NI in other areas to play an import there.  The question will be is will any of them be any good, or will they hurt us...

I think it's just as likely we play an import at safety, with Alexander, Bucknor, or Robertson playing the wide side corner.

I think it's just as likely we play an import at safety, with Alexander, Bucknor, or Robertson playing the wide side corner.

I agree.. Some dc's think it's easier to hide a canadian at cb then safety..

I caught the tail end of an interview on 1290  with a sports writer out of  Toronto who was at the CFL evaluation camp. He said that the ones who were expected to do well did- mostly O-linemen, but there were three who surprised- Devon Bailey, Briggs and someone whose first name was Quinn. Briggs was flat-out a tremendous athlete, but this Quinn was an unheralded D-lineman who was dominant against o-line opponents 1-1.  He was asked to try out as an O-lineman and was just as effective there-no one got past him. Sounds like there might be a few dark horses out there.

I caught the tail end of an interview on 1290  with a sports writer out of  Toronto who was at the CFL evaluation camp. He said that the ones who were expected to do well did- mostly O-linemen, but there were three who surprised- Devon Bailey, Briggs and someone whose first name was Quentin. Briggs was flat-out a tremendous athlete, but this Quentin was an unheralded D-lineman who was dominant against o-line opponents 1-1.  He was asked to try out as an O-lineman and was just as effective there-no one got past him. Sounds like there might be a few dark horses out there.

That would be Quinn Smith.

I caught the tail end of an interview on 1290  with a sports writer out of  Toronto who was at the CFL evaluation camp. He said that the ones who were expected to do well did- mostly O-linemen, but there were three who surprised- Devon Bailey, Briggs and someone whose first name was Quentin. Briggs was flat-out a tremendous athlete, but this Quentin was an unheralded D-lineman who was dominant against o-line opponents 1-1.  He was asked to try out as an O-lineman and was just as effective there-no one got past him. Sounds like there might be a few dark horses out there.

Thanks for the correction.

Thanks for the correction.

No problem. 

The Evaluation Camp is always about offensive linemen. When isn't  it? Be nice if one year we could talk about something else like the incredible linebackers that dominated or receivers instead of always offensive linemen.

When 45% of the leagues non-imports are playing on the OL it makes drafting those positions a major focal point.